Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:27 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Pretty obvious you're talking about CA now... Additionally, I think it's fairly obvious that things there are still completely out of whack.

Unless there's something specifically redeeming about the property (waterview/front, "downtown access", walkable, etc); I don't see how you justify prime price / sqft out in the generic suburbs. Maybe it's just me.
Maybe it is just me but I don't understand how people in North Carolina just don't get that some people want to live in California and are willing to pay a premium for it. Ya know, we aren't stuck here. If the lifestyle we wanted was in North Carolina we would move there. Capiche?

People that don't care for California are free to live where they want as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 03:11 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Maybe it is just me but I don't understand how people in North Carolina just don't get that some people want to live in California and are willing to pay a premium for it. Ya know, we aren't stuck here. If the lifestyle we wanted was in North Carolina we would move there. Capiche?

People that don't care for California are free to live where they want as well.
Hey, I say the same general things about NC... I'm an equal opportunity RE hater. You should hear me go off on NY RE. It's just that based on debt to current values, CA is clearly the #1 underwater market - by an incredible mind bending amount.

In the end, I hope you're right that people will maintain those major premium payments to live in CA in the face of heavily upside down mortgages.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 PM

472 posts, read 854,958 times
Quote:
I'm an equal opportunity RE hater.
LOL, what does that mean exactly?

Old 10-16-2010, 08:08 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I know that 4 bedrooms is preferable to 3, however as others have said, if the rooms are too small then I would not pay more for it.
If you take the argument to the extreme, why not squeeze 10 bedrooms into 1900 sq ft and then you could REALLY charge a lot of money for it.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:10 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
LOL, what does that mean exactly?
It means I think almost all RE is blighted in some way and overpriced. LOL

Old 10-17-2010, 08:54 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
OTOH, we haven't seen the floor plans and 'flow' of the house, and the smaller four bedroom could actually have a more effective use of the space it does have. There are a lot of places and floor plans where you can end up having a lot of square footage that is nice enough to look at but which doesn't really increase the livability of the house- too many long hallways, the 10'x10' foyer designed to impress but that doesn't even have a coat closet, the master bathroom that is actually bigger than the master bedroom, awkward kitchen layouts....

Old 10-22-2010, 01:29 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
You should offer what you think is appropriate, not what your Realtor tells you. That first home may have been listed for $270,000 but that does not mean that is what the people paid for it. Without knowing the market or the particular homes, I would say the price you are offering is reasonable, maybe even a bit high. Jay

Old 10-22-2010, 02:03 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default You should NEVER EVER IN A HUNDRED BILLION YEARS EVER EVEN IF THE SUN BURNS OUT...

..offer what the real estate that you have selected to represent you and can support with valid comparable sales data gleaned from an extensive search of closed sales on MLS, knowledge of competitive listings, evaluation of comparable properties, discussions with the listing agent, analysis of market conditions and trends , and accumulated wisdom tells you.

Yessiree that is one heck of a losing strategy.

Always better to offer what you THINK is appropriate. Because RANDOM THOUGHTS always work in the cold hard world of foreclosures. ALWAYS. YEP!

Old 10-25-2010, 01:18 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
After all that we found a totally differant home. For a while there, we were learning to hate the backup contingent process as it seemed that once a home enters the contingency phase it seldom comes back on the market around here. Funny how when you are the one to tie a home up the words sound so much sweeter. LOL

What we ended up putting an offer on was a home that was built in 1962 with 1,800 square feet, 4 bedroom, 3 bath, single story in a very desirable part of our city and it has a much larger lot then the other homes we were looking at. escrow is supposed to close December 6th.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:45 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
Congrats!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate