Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:56 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Having your second bedroom occupant walk downstairs to use the bathroom when there is a perfectly good one right upstairs already seems bizarre to me. It would either become a shared bathroom or the second bedroom would no longer be a bedroom.
Having the use of a bathroom on the same level is one of the defining terms of a bedroom here in NC.
Going through another bedroom which has a lockable door, as master suites tend to, would seem to disqualify the home a 3BR definition.

I would probably call the MLS Compliance folks for input before I would list the home as having 3 bedrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 11:18 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

I would think that anyone occupying the second bedroom who possessed half a brain would walk downstairs to the bathroom on the first floor.
And I would think the thought that people upstairs had to go downstairs to use the bathroom would be a definite negative for most people looking to buy a house.

Is there a buyer for every house? Probably. Is there the same pool of buyers for every house? Certainly not. And if I'm thinking about resale value I want the biggest pool of people possible.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:35 AM

58 posts, read 153,556 times
What if the bathroom had a doorway from both bedrooms leading into it...a jack and jill bathroom... is this better? Right now this is only a half bath off the master, but there is room to expand it and make it into a jack and jill or a master. I am trying to think of the best way to do it before I go ahead and go further on this house... resale-ability is my #1 concern.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 AM

153 posts, read 675,538 times
The house I am in the middle of purchasing has 2 bedrooms upstairs and 1 downstairs. The main bath is downstairs and there is a half bath upstairs in the master bedroom. All of the houses in that town that we looked at were built similarly, so to me it seems normal to me. I'm from NJ, so it may be differetn in other states.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_woww View Post
The house I am in the middle of purchasing has 2 bedrooms upstairs and 1 downstairs. The main bath is downstairs and there is a half bath upstairs in the master bedroom. All of the houses in that town that we looked at were built similarly, so to me it seems normal to me. I'm from NJ, so it may be differetn in other states.
I have lived in various towns in NJ most of my life. I have never seen that before. It must be an even smaller location issue than NJ.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimer123 View Post
What if the bathroom had a doorway from both bedrooms leading into it...a jack and jill bathroom... is this better? Right now this is only a half bath off the master, but there is room to expand it and make it into a jack and jill or a master. I am trying to think of the best way to do it before I go ahead and go further on this house... resale-ability is my #1 concern.
Personally that would make a big difference to me. That is actually how the hosue I grew up in was. The kids didn't have to go through our parent's bedroom to use the bathroom and my parents had the ability to lock the connecting door to their bedroom from the bathroom.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:54 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I don't care for the split floor bedrooms unless the one downstairs was being used as an office or older family member or live in helper.
Unless you have small children (as it was already mentioned), that's by far the best set-up as far as 2-story houses go IMO. I lived in such a house when I was married and it's a whole lot more convenient to have the master BR downstairs as opposed to upstairs where I have it now. This way you mostly live downstairs and have guest rooms, offices, in other words less often used rooms upstairs, and you don't have to climb stairs all the time.

The house discussed must be old... I can't imagine any newer house having 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom upstairs. It will definitely be a resale problem.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:15 PM

153 posts, read 675,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I have lived in various towns in NJ most of my life. I have never seen that before. It must be an even smaller location issue than NJ.
Actually the house I grew up in was like that as well. Maybe you live in newer construction, but most of the houses that are around 50+ years old tend to be designed like that. I grew up over an hour away from where I am purchasing and my aunt lived an hour south of me growing up, her first house was also like that. It is very common in most parts of NJ that I know of.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
Ask your agnet if that is an issue for many people. He should have some feedback from others who have seen that house or has dealt with houses like this in the past.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_woww View Post
The house I am in the middle of purchasing has 2 bedrooms upstairs and 1 downstairs. The main bath is downstairs and there is a half bath upstairs in the master bedroom. All of the houses in that town that we looked at were built similarly, so to me it seems normal to me.
To me, too. It was never a big deal for me to go downstairs to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Just a few extra steps.

My house and so many of the story and a half Cape Cod houses built in the 20s in my Cincinnati neighborhood had one or two bedrooms downstairs, with a hall bath; the other one or two bedrooms were upstairs, and most had no bath.

Oh, the horror.

We certainly have turned into a lazy bunch. Imagine having to use an outhouse, or a chamber pot and disposing of its contents in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate