Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:09 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times

Advertisements

...this year, it just sold for 15% under my "unrealistic lowball."

Point? Not everyone is trying to "steal" your house just because they're well below your list price. Their offer might be what your house is actually worth. Or even more.

Not getting any offers should be your first clue. Buyers are still buying. But not if it's overpriced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:44 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I wonder how many price cuts they did in the interim? If the place you had in mind fits the trends that I still see, I would bet they cut their asking price until it was within about 85 - 90% of what they settled for...

Old 11-18-2010, 07:51 AM

764 posts, read 1,598,052 times
....factor in carring costs, lost opportunity costs (.5% CD!), maintenance costs, etc and they probably wish today that they hadn't dismissed your 'lowball', insulting offer....

Old 11-18-2010, 09:24 AM

They supposedly rented it for a year, but it didn't look like anyone was living there. Came back on at a lower list and yeah, the ultimate sale price was 87% of their "final" list. That final list took a couple of years to get to, though. Talk about chasing the market down.

Carrying costs in this area aren't low because of high taxes. If it was vacant, they were carrying a mortgage on it, too.

Just tired of being labeled "unreasonable" by sellers who can't see the writing on the wall.

The kicker? This just set the new sales comp for the neighborhood.

I think when sellers hear the market will "recover" in a few years, they think that means prices will. In our area, a few years is when prices might stop falling. Those 2006 prices are long gone and I'll be gray or dead by the time they come back.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
I remember bidding $600,000 on a model house, they laughed at me and got some fool to pay them $738,000. It's going for $300,000 now. Glad I passed

Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I remember bidding $600,000 on a model house, they laughed at me and got some fool to pay them $738,000. It's going for $300,000 now. Glad I passed
Yeah, but if you bought it, you could've painted it any color you wanted and not worried that someone would raise the rent!

You really missed out.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:49 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,300 times
cool story bro...

Old 11-18-2010, 04:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Yeah, but if you bought it, you could've painted it any color you wanted and not worried that someone would raise the rent!

You really missed out.
No they had an HOA

Old 11-18-2010, 09:49 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Yep, it is frustrating, but the mindset is hard to overcome...

I have been warning many folks that the changes that have occurred because of the collapse of bubblious pieces will take very long time to sink in with some folks.

When I tell folks that you can now buy a very nice and habitable home for less than the raw land was selling for just a short time ago some people don't understand that the net effect is that both buyers and sellers have major gulf when it comes to "meeting of the minds".

Making the "low ball offer" too often results in the sellers digging in their heels.
In the broad Chicago region making an offer that is more than 18% or so below ask so infrequently results is a sale that it just makes more sense to wait until the sellers to drop price to where you can feel better abbot making an offer that won't trigger feelings of insult / outrage...

Unless the sellers are really really really really moments away from being foreclosed they just do not care about carrying cost. The money that flies out the door from doesn't matter until the door is shut behind you and the locks are changed.

Heck, if folks are stuck in "sell at this floor or go the short sale route" it may take some something awful to happen before they realize a short sale is better than burning through every last cent...

Quote:
They supposedly rented it for a year, but it didn't look like anyone was living there. Came back on at a lower list and yeah, the ultimate sale price was 87% of their "final" list. That final list took a couple of years to get to, though. Talk about chasing the market down.

Carrying costs in this area aren't low because of high taxes. If it was vacant, they were carrying a mortgage on it, too.

Just tired of being labeled "unreasonable" by sellers who can't see the writing on the wall.

I think when sellers hear the market will "recover" in a few years, they think that means prices will. In our area, a few years is when prices might stop falling. Those 2006 prices are long gone and I'll be gray or dead by the time they come back.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:31 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:

"I'm not going to give it away!"

Carry costs almost never enter into the equation because of the irrationality of chasing the market down... or the best of the best - "getting insulted" and taking it off the market until "the recovery". lol

Meanwhile; their un(der)employed, underwater, and/or living off credit card neighbors are starting to fall behind and it won't be long until the distressed comps start piling up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate