Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:26 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
What about offering a credit to the buyer to use towards new counters of their choice? As a recent buyer, I would actually prefer the credit to get what I wanted versus having you pick and install it. In the house I recently bought, the seller redid two of the bathrooms. New tile, vanities, counters, etc. They picked granite for the counters. I would have much preferred something like silestone or at least being able to pick out my own granite versus being stuck with what they chose.

That sort of seems to split the difference of opinion, no?
The downside of the credit the buyer can't see it. The best option is do the work, the second best is offer a credit, the worst is eat it on the price because that costs you the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 PM

85 posts, read 217,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
The downside of the credit the buyer can't see it. The best option is do the work, the second best is offer a credit, the worst is eat it on the price because that costs you the most.
I agree with this. A lot of buyers can't envision a house with upgrades that haven't been done. Some can see the potential, but they'll expect to get the house at a discount to make up for the cash they'll have to sink into the house to get it up to snuff.

A credit is a good alternative, and sometimes preferable.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
Wow! Thank for all of the opinions, however divergent. One thing I've noticed from both my agent and watching those shows like House Hunters, is that most people have almost NO imagination. They look at a great house and then throw a fit because it has shag carpet or red walls. I think some posts were right about how no one will really notice a $2000 reduction but they will notice upgrades.

To provide a little more info, the condo is 5 years old and the kitchen has maple cabinets and black appliances. The average list price per square foot in this area is $334 for all properties. The average per square foot for the bottom 1/4th in price is $282. Mine would be in the bottom 1/4th, is 662 square feet and is listed at 189,900 (at $282 per sq/ft it would be $186,425). Soooo it makes sense to me to do the counters (kitchen & bath), see what kind of response it gets and then, if necessary also lower the price to around $187,000. Until it sells, I'll can enjoy the counters I wanted anyway.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:26 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Wow! Thank for all of the opinions, however divergent. One thing I've noticed from both my agent and watching those shows like House Hunters, is that most people have almost NO imagination. They look at a great house and then throw a fit because it has shag carpet or red walls. I think some posts were right about how no one will really notice a $2000 reduction but they will notice upgrades.

To provide a little more info, the condo is 5 years old and the kitchen has maple cabinets and black appliances. The average list price per square foot in this area is $334 for all properties. The average per square foot for the bottom 1/4th in price is $282. Mine would be in the bottom 1/4th, is 662 square feet and is listed at 189,900 (at $282 per sq/ft it would be $186,425). Soooo it makes sense to me to do the counters (kitchen & bath), see what kind of response it gets and then, if necessary also lower the price to around $187,000. Until it sells, I'll can enjoy the counters I wanted anyway.
That's how it should be. YOU enjoy the upgrade, if that is what you want. What you don't want to do is simply upgrade due to buyer's flavor of the year. What today's buyers are expecting is for you to lower the price by 2K AND put the work in and update the counters. That, to me, is about as inviting as withdrawing money from my bank account and putting it in the toilet. I'd rather wait out this recession than do that, I'm afraid. I'm assuming you have laminate counters? If you have solid surface or quartz I personally don't see any reason to "upgrade" them, esp. if your price point is middle of the road. Laminate however, yeah...as a buyer, I'd be turned off by them.

Another thing...the granite/stainless steel template is getting boring for me. Every house looks the same these days...esp. new construction homes.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:30 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
I agree about the granite getting boring but I do have laminate and granite seems the best bang for my buck. I'm not under any pressure to sell but I'd like to take advantage of the rates and deals out there right now rather than waiting another year...or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate