Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 12:37 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
My husband and I bought our house over a year ago from a very immature bratty couple. The house is newer and in an upper middle class neighborhood. A home and neighborhood my husband and I worked hard to get into for many years. The young couple were not a day over 22 and it appears their parents helped them get into the house because mom and dad had a lot to say about the sale. They were just a complete nightmare to deal with.

We all signed a contract that they would leave the appliances and window treatments. A few days later, my realtor is calling me saying the woman wants the drapes, a few days later the woman wants the washer and dryer. It was non stop. Every time I said no, the young couple would have a fit. They only lived in the house a year and the husband decided he missed the military. He reenlisted. I showed up to pay the appraiser and he invited me saying they had moved out already. The brats took every single curtain rod and drape from the house! The washer and dryer were drug out of the laundry closet and it appears they couldn't figure out how to unhook them. Every shelf they had up in the baby's room was taken down leaving dime size holes every where. All big no no's. If its screwed it, it stays according the law. I called my realtor right away and was told they left the country already. I said that is fine, I will call the CO. Then everyone starting freaking out and low and behold the couple said they would buy us new rods. They were still in the country after all. So anyway, they did not leave anything exciting in the home after leaving. They dumped cheap used rods that were only 18 inches in length (way too short for 40 in windows) on the floor in every room. They left me filth. The house was always clean during the showings and I was shocked when I walked into the house after closing.

The kitchen sink was disgusting. I have no idea what they did to make it that dirty. Every bathroom in the house had poop in the toilet. Behind the washer and dryer were dirty underwear and socks. The dryer vent had so much lint in it, you could make a pillow. There was an inch of dust in the shape of a square in each bedroom where the beds were. I think in the month for us waiting to close they decided to be dirty little brats.
That's EXACTLY what you do when dealing with military folks who are acting out; call up their chain of command.

Unfortunately, it seems that you stopped pushing the issue too soon as they still didn't ultimately fulfill the terms of the contract.

I would've definitely taken matters further. What spoiled brats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 02:27 PM

1,949 posts, read 2,297,831 times
In the finished basement of a 3 story home , there was a Bar and some coaches and chairs , wood paneling , a real kitschy party room , in the ceiling behind those cardboard panels they used to call " armstrong ceilings " were Playboy magazines from the very first issue to about 1976 , I guess the husband could not figure out how to sneak them out when they moved , made a great sale on EBAY

Old 11-06-2016, 05:30 PM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I can't think of anything really weird but in an old house they had used newspapers as insulation and we found those when renovating. That was fun, looking at those old newspapers.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:59 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's EXACTLY what you do when dealing with military folks who are acting out; call up their chain of command.

Unfortunately, it seems that you stopped pushing the issue too soon as they still didn't ultimately fulfill the terms of the contract.

I would've definitely taken matters further. What spoiled brats.
Words taken out of my mouth.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:17 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,140 times
We are are selling the home we built. I love stories about finding artifacts from previous owners. I would like to leave something here that shows we were the original owners, what year it was built and what our names were. But somewhere that won't be torn out or rebuilt. I want to include a copy of the blueprints too. Any suggestions how I should do that?

Old 11-07-2016, 05:21 PM

120 posts, read 298,585 times
A half used box of condoms from the prior owners son hidden in the ceiling tiles in the basement. Not much else.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:01 PM

536 posts, read 852,513 times
I bought a commercial property in Hollywood CA several decades ago, in order to set up a new recording studio & guitar shop.

It was situated directly caddy-corner to the Hollywood Post Office, on Selma & Wilcox, a block below Hollywood Blvd, a somewhat questionable district of ill repute.

Apparently, the former tenants had been some type of mail order house. We found numerous boxes of elongated pink plastic ribbed items that we gave away to our guests at our grand opening party.

It was later reported that the gifts were quite warmly received by several recipients.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:33 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Another item we found left by the sellers.....women.

of the evening.

They were told by the owner occupant they could live there. No, he didn't forget they were there. He really thought we could get them out.

Fortunately, we found them on the walkthru and wouldn't settle till they were removed.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:18 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
At the last house we found a cot in the attic with dirty dishes and old food. Long story but it was weird.

When we left, we gave the new owner:

All of the manuals to the appliances and the HVAC (along with the transferrable warranty card)
Surround sound in the living room (I had to later take him the remote as we found it unpacking)
A small gift basket of different coffee flavors (He works nights)

In our new house we found:

A snake... yes, a 5 ft long live chicken snake hanging from the rafters in the detached garage
A bunch of old tools, ladders, lumber, etc that belonged to her late husband in the detached garage
Two old wooden recurve bow and arrows in nice condition in the detached garage
Two nice wrought iron loungers out by the pool that we thought she would take
Two heavy daschund statues in the flower bed (we have a daschund so it was fitting)
A 12 ft long tv antenna hanging from the attic rafters (great because I went up there to install my small one)
Quite a few packs of new batteries in the laundry cabinets
Quite a few packs of new light bulbs... almost enough for the entire house

I have yet to go under the house since it's still warm enough for critters. No telling what I might find under there.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:38 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
At the last house we found a cot in the attic with dirty dishes and old food. Long story but it was weird.

When we left, we gave the new owner:

All of the manuals to the appliances and the HVAC (along with the transferrable warranty card)
Surround sound in the living room (I had to later take him the remote as we found it unpacking)
A small gift basket of different coffee flavors (He works nights)

In our new house we found:

A snake... yes, a 5 ft long live chicken snake hanging from the rafters in the detached garage
A bunch of old tools, ladders, lumber, etc that belonged to her late husband in the detached garage
Two old wooden recurve bow and arrows in nice condition in the detached garage
Two nice wrought iron loungers out by the pool that we thought she would take
Two heavy daschund statues in the flower bed (we have a daschund so it was fitting)
A 12 ft long tv antenna hanging from the attic rafters (great because I went up there to install my small one)
Quite a few packs of new batteries in the laundry cabinets
Quite a few packs of new light bulbs... almost enough for the entire house

I have yet to go under the house since it's still warm enough for critters. No telling what I might find under there.
Oh, boy. That attic of your last house. Tell us the scarey story when you have time.

A friend was selling his house...and it did close successfully. On inspection, the inspector opened the door to the eaves. An area used for storage but my friend didn't put anything there. In a similar situation we used it for holiday decorations. Long area, about 6' at the door and then sloping down, about 6' in. And in there was food, bedding, a battery radio. My friend had been telling us he felt like things were moved just a little bit in his house at times and that he'd be missing a piece of fruit or thought he had more cereal left....he and we all thought he was just preoccupied. Who breaks in to take food. Turns out it was someone just watching and listening to him.

Guess where this eave doorway was? In the wall of his bedroom. So he was sleeping beside this weirdo in the eaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate