Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 07:47 PM

58 posts, read 141,919 times

Advertisements

It's been several months and I'm still trying to figure out why the realtor who had the listing for my house lied to us. I'm wondering if anyone has some insight so I can let it stop bothering me. The house is in a tract that is still being built out and the woman is still the listing agent for all the new houses being built and I'm wondering if she is lying to everyone to up her commission. This agent showed us the house and lied about ownership of the house. She told us it was owned by a private party and that if we made an offer, she would ask the person if they would accept our offer since the person really wanted out of the house. She told us a big story about the person living in another state and needing to sell quickly because "she had special needs children." While we were looking at the house, the realtor rushed us out because she had to pick up her kid. She did not follow up with us at all. We later found out that the house was builder owned and there was NO private party that would decide whether to sell to us or not. I don't have any idea why she would lie. I can't figure out what would motivate her to do so and how it would help us to buy the house. It turns out that the house originally went into escrow for over a million back in 2006, and the buyer put in many upgrades but never completed the purchase. We purchased the house as a "new" house from the builder. After several months, I'm still wondering why she lied and if she's lying to the people who are buying the last houses in our tract. She didn't bother to take our names and consequently, after looking at other houses all over the valley, we came back with our own realtor and bought it. I just can't understand why she lied. Anybody have any ideas?? (besides her being a darn liar)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 09:05 PM

427 posts, read 550,121 times
Besides her being a darned liar? No. Why even speculate?

Ah, yes, Grandma does indeed hate it when she is lied to. However, we must remember what Winston Churchill once proclaimed about lies and liars--Treminological inexactitude! I rest my case.

And also remember, it was Ralph Waldo Emerson who once said--Truth is beautiful, without a doubt; but so are lies.
Attached Thumbnails
Why Would the Realtor Lie??-cartoon_3.gif  

Old 12-04-2010, 06:52 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times
To quote Jodyne Speyer dump 'em: how to break up with anyone from your best friend to your hairdresser "DUMP EM!" if you do not have 100% faith in your realtor you need a NEW REALTOR - anyone in realty can make offers on houses, they are NOT realty / agency / realtor specific again DUMP EM!!! and do it NOW!!!

Jonathan

Old 12-04-2010, 09:00 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Drugs maybe?

Old 12-04-2010, 09:45 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Cause their lips were moving?

Old 12-04-2010, 10:02 AM

42 posts, read 79,423 times
My two cents...its not 'Why would the realtor lie?' but 'Why would I stay with a realtor that lies'. Either way, good luck, sorry to hear you are going through this.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:34 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
I never work with builder's agents. You can't trust builders, so why trust their agent. I've been told lies by builder's agents, but I also think they aren't held to the same standards of a regular Real Estate Agent, and I don't think they are very bright sometimes. I think that sometimes they are just mistaken because somebody told them something, and they believed it. I have a smart, and honest (honest) Realtor friend that I trust and that's who I call if I want to look at homes. BTW: If the first agent already showed you the home, can your Realtor come in and take credit for the sale? Or was there a different agent there when you went back?

Old 12-04-2010, 11:23 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
In the future, if you want to verify anything like this go to the Clark County Assessors Office website and put in the address. It will tell you the owner of any property.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:57 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I never work with builder's agents. You can't trust builders, so why trust their agent. I've been told lies by builder's agents, but I also think they aren't held to the same standards of a regular Real Estate Agent, and I don't think they are very bright sometimes. I think that sometimes they are just mistaken because somebody told them something, and they believed it. I have a smart, and honest (honest) Realtor friend that I trust and that's who I call if I want to look at homes. BTW: If the first agent already showed you the home, can your Realtor come in and take credit for the sale? Or was there a different agent there when you went back?
It varies. Sometimes the developers agent is also a licensed RE Agent...though they need not be. In general the second RE Agent would be out of luck in a good market...though the first agent would have had to secure the buyers signature on a form to have any standing. In this market I would think the builder would pay anybody 3% to unload a home. Note that it also makes a difference whether the property is in the MLS or not. The MLS commits the seller to paying the listed commission.

As to the original thrust I doubt it was a deliberate lie. There would be no purpose to it. I would think the house was at contract with someone who resembled the person the agent described. It might well be neccessary to get such a person to agree to the sale to another buyer. A lot of money was made in the fabled run up selling positions...to right to buy...rather than the house itself.

Another possibility is the agent was confused between houses. That happens particularly in a tract.

I am skeptical as to a deliberate lie. I see no way it would be to the agent's advantage. Just complicates things later when it unravels.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:12 PM

58 posts, read 141,919 times
We signed nothing with the first agent. She barely gave us the time of day. We arrived in Vegas on a Wednesday and had to wait until Saturday to see the house. She was late and distracted. She hurried us out. She had our phone number, but never called again to follow up. My husband dresses in shorts and t-shirts so she probably thought we had no money, even though we were thoroughly checking out the house and asking lots of questions. That's when she told us how the house was owned by a lady in another state, etc. She really rubbed me the wrong way - especially after I found out she was lying to us and the house was builder owned. At the time, she only had this house and the models to sell. She wouldn't show us the foreclosures on the street and told us they were unavailable. I later found out that they were indeed available, just represented by a different realtor. The repos eventually sold for over $125K less than we paid. We spent time looking in every other available area and decided this house was for us. We contacted a buyer's agent and basically gifted that agent a large commission for doing almost nothing. If the first agent had treated us properly, she would have had the whole commision.

Last edited by PugMom17; 12-04-2010 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate