Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you rent or own?
Rent 30 34.88%
Own 56 65.12%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:18 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,753 times

Advertisements

I am a renter and just the thought of all the money and paperwork that comes with owning a home stresses me out.

I would like to own my own place but I am trying to decide if it is worth it or not or if I should just spend my money on making myself happy in life (i.e. travelling).

I don’t plan on having any kids.

People keep telling me how important and necessary it is to own, that rent is just dead money. My much older boyfriend didn’t save when he was younger and regrets it terribly now.

What should I do?

Follow my dream of travelling and end up renting forever, or have my own home but be tied down to a mortgage for the next 30 years and end up resentful?

What about your stories, what did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 04:42 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
If you see having a mortgage as being tied down, you have your answer.

I am buying because I love to garden and have my own yard. I also have a goal of having my house paid off and that will be before I am 45 if all goes as scheduled. I am happiest with a home base that I feel fairly secure with. Oh and I want to see the country and have fun too but with my home to come back to

Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
If you see having a mortgage as being tied down, you have your answer.
Well, in a way I do, bad as it may sound.

When you rent you can up and move whenever you like with little hassle, but soooooooooo much comes with owning a home.

I hate the thought of paying someone else to live in their house forever, but I also hate the thought of still paying off my home at 50!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
If you are renting you will still be paying someone when you are 50.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
If you are renting you will still be paying someone when you are 50.
Forgo my dreams has it then, I suppose.

I have been wanting to travel for 10 years and never done it. I don't know if I can wait another 30 until my home is paid off.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:15 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Forgo my dreams has it then, I suppose.

I have been wanting to travel for 10 years and never done it. I don't know if I can wait another 30 until my home is paid off.
Life is so short, you should follow your dreams. Maybe you'll want a home after you travel a bit and maybe you'll fall in love with a place and will know it's where you want to live forever, or maybe you won't. Who knows, but you won't till you give it a shot.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Life is so short, you should follow your dreams.
That’s what I keep telling myself, but everyone else seems to be telling me to be sensible instead. I’m so confused!

I don’t WANT to end up like my boyfriend (45 and the only person he knows his age who doesn’t own a home. He’s embarrassed and depressed about it) but travelling and living LIFE is so SO important to me.

I can't do both, not on my low wage/our low wages.

Last edited by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa*; 12-05-2010 at 05:41 PM..

Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 PM

110 posts, read 202,220 times
Vanilla ... I've owned and rented and rent my house now in my 40s. I never, ever want to own a house again. My attitude after owning a house that sold for many times what we paid is that we still didn't get the money back from all we put in, the interest we paid, the taxes, the improvements, the routine maintenance. Owning a home is a huge American value, but it's changing now. I look at renting as paying someone else to manage my shelter! Awful that your boyfriend is depressed about not owning ... unless he is a REAL homebody I think he'd be more depressed if he owned now.

I cannot tell you how much adventre we missed becase we had to buy a new roof, fix the plumbing, install landscaping and hardscaping!

The New York Times has the best Rent or Buy calculator:

Is It Better to Buy or Rent? - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

Run your numbers and listen to that still small voice inside.

Finally, buying now is not a bit like buying when I was in my 20s - for decades we all assumed we'd make money on our houses. Now you have to buy a house knowing that you may *never* sell it. It's really pretty sobering.

There are emotional values that trump all of this - but it works both ways. For everyone who longs for the stability of their own tent, there is another who's imprisoned by it.

Last edited by thisiswater; 12-05-2010 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add link ...

Old 12-05-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisiswater View Post
The New York Times has the best Rent or Buy calculator:

Is It Better to Buy or Rent? - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

Run your numbers and listen to that still small voice inside.
Thanks for that, thisiswater.

I got this result:

If you stay in your home for 6 years, renting is better.

It will cost you $28,365 less than buying.

I don’t think my boyfriend understands the upkeep that comes with owning a home. You can’t just buy a place and have that be that. I don’t think I want that stress in my life.

Last edited by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa*; 12-05-2010 at 07:15 PM..

Old 12-05-2010, 07:18 PM

45 posts, read 144,181 times
I don't think it really matters at the end of the day - you still have to pay towards a roof over your head, whether it be to the bank, or to a landlord.

US home prices are incredibly low at the moment and if you buy soon, you should be getting a fantastic deal. Fix your mortgage for 30 years (I think it is just under 5%), so at least you won't get whacked if/when interest rates go up.

Landlords will eventually increase your rent, perhaps forcing you in to a smaller and smaller place if your wages don't keep up.

By the way, anyone who rents must realise that all the annual costs of running a home, such as taxes, are factored in to the rent that YOU pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate