Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 08:51 AM

9 posts, read 15,892 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at this property.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...491?source=web

Is it a condo?

That entire area is not that old. And I knew a guy in there that was paying close to $900 rent.

I guess you own no land?

What happens if the land owners decide to make a cemetery out of it and sell plots?

I'd think they have pretty much maximized the profit of that area of land. It's too far from the main drag and the hospital.

But, once they sell all of them, what's in it for them at that point?

Are home owner's stuck, or do they get a buyout agreement of some sort?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,791,569 times
I don't know if it is a condo or not but, in a condominium ownership arrangement, each unit owner owns the interior (the walls in) of their unit and all of its contents plus a share of all of the common property including the physical land on which the structure is built. In some condos, each unit is equal to one share of the total ownership, despite the square footage of the unit owned. In others, the number of shares held by each unit owner is based on their square footage. This is important because the condominium board and management company (if there is one) has to arrive at an annual budget and the amount of condo fees each unit owner pays is equal to the total budget divided by the owner's number of shares. So, in some condos, everyone pays an equal amount and in others, it varies with the unit size. The same applies to voting rights. Also in condos, the association (all the owners) pays for external maintenance, insurance, and typically some utilities and the unit owner pays for everything else including insurance on their contents (walls in). There are other things involved but that's it in a nutshell.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I don't know if it is a condo or not but, in a condominium ownership arrangement, each unit owner owns the interior (the walls in) of their unit and all of its contents plus a share of all of the common property including the physical land on which the structure is built. In some condos, each unit is equal to one share of the total ownership, despite the square footage of the unit owned. In others, the number of shares held by each unit owner is based on their square footage. This is important because the condominium board and management company (if there is one) has to arrive at an annual budget and the amount of condo fees each unit owner pays is equal to the total budget divided by the owner's number of shares. So, in some condos, everyone pays an equal amount and in others, it varies with the unit size. The same applies to voting rights. Also in condos, the association (all the owners) pays for external maintenance, insurance, and typically some utilities and the unit owner pays for everything else including insurance on their contents (walls in). There are other things involved but that's it in a nutshell.
So, if they are condos, and once all are sold, then the previous owner of all the land, can not decide to pack up and shut it down?

A real estate agent on a "real" condo told me never to buy one. Not sure though, on the consequences of owning one, looking years out.

I know 15 families that had to pack up and leave their mobile homes, behind as the land owner wanted it for another purpose than mobile home lots.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 AM

I had a real estate agent look into it. It's a townhouse and the HOA fees are $125 to $150 a month.

"It is a townhome, HOA is between $125 and $150 a month and it will be open for investors after 10 days.
I haven’t really heard of any HOA’s abandoning the properties they are associated with. The HOA covers the insurance for the exterior walls of the property also… along with grounds maintenance".

Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 AM

3,198 posts, read 13,436,400 times
The previous landowner has no rights to the property any more than he would if one home were built on it. Once it's sold to the condo association or whatever entity buys it, it's like any other sale. Done.

Advantages to condo living are the amenities such as pools, hot tubs, gym, perhaps a community pavilion, perhaps a gated property with or without guards, not personally having to take care of landscaping and exterior maintenance etc. It is a matter of personal preference. If you like living where you have neighbors close by, limited parking for guests, that sort of thing, then it's fine.

Disadvantages, to me any how, would include the maintenance fees, difficulties dealing with the owner's association politics, lack of privacy, noise, etc. Again these are all matters of personal choice.

The risk of buying is the same pretty much, as buying a single family home when you consider the general economy at this time.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:26 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,749,935 times
Advantages of condos: HOA's can do great things to hold community value and living standards

Disadvantages of condos: HOA's can do terrible things to owners' fees & community morale

Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 AM

I pretty much abandoned it once I heard the monthly fees.
Also, I am bound by a non-sale agreement on my small house for 8 more months.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:30 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,618,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll4ever View Post
So, if they are condos, and once all are sold, then the previous owner of all the land, can not decide to pack up and shut it down?
Correct, as the "previous owner" is just that, no longer the owner. The land belongs jointly to the condominium owners and managed by the homeowner's association.

Condominium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate