Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,912 times

Advertisements

[quote=Karen59;17599051]I understood what you meant and I tend to agree with you--a tragic world event would bring down all prices due to angst and pessimism among the population. It's another unknowable. If the crises was contained, however, prices would quickly rise again. My dad said as much a few months ago, and suggested it would be a good time to buy (after a tragic world event). (He was actually talking about stocks, but maybe real estate same thing.) I guess he is quite a cynic, but also he was speaking unguardedly. I guess the main thing he meant was is--it would be a time to hold on and try to be optimistic when others are losing heart.[/quote]

That's essentially what Warren Buffett advocates, doing the opposite of the masses. When the stock market and 401ks were going into the tank last year he said it was a great time to put more $ in while everyone else was pulling out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 09:25 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59
... tragic world event would bring down all prices due to angst and pessimism ...
The current slang for this is a Black Swan.

Exerpt from this page: [ The next Black Swan ]

"the term black swan has recently been made famous by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. But this was a fairly common expression even in 16th century London as a phrase describing the impossibility of an event occurring. The reason being that in those days in the western world, there were only white swans and hence, black swan was used to signify impossibility."

Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM

896 posts, read 1,476,550 times
Every realtor I have talked to in Phoenix says that 2010 was the bottom.

Of course they said that about 2009, 2008, 2007, and 2006.

So the next time a realtor says "this is bottom", drop trou and show them an actual bottom.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:02 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post

So the next time a realtor says "this is bottom", drop trou and show them an actual bottom.
HonestOne, it was The Cromford Report that called the bottom in April 2009. It held until a few days ago when there was a slight dip below that number.

I like to hear other peoples opinion of the market, and their reasoning.

• what is your prediction of the valley real estate market?
  • where is the market headed?
  • when will it recover?
  • I own two rental properties. Should I sell them, or hang onto them?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill
  • I own two rental properties. Should I sell them, or hang onto them?
Rental properties should only be held if the rental income provides a profit.

Unless there is a clear reason to expect a capital gain ( there is a mall that will begin construction
nearby in a couple years ), anyone expecting to get a gain in the near future is dreaming.

If you really expect the RE market to improve in 5 or so years, buy a security that pays a dividend
that is tied to RE and hope for the best. At least you know what your max loss could possibly be.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:28 AM

192 posts, read 560,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
Are you really this out of touch with what is going on in your own country? Will you be ok when you have to pay twice as much on your mortgage when you renegotiate in 5 years?
Why would someone with a conforming loan need to renegotiate in 5 years?

Old 02-04-2011, 04:24 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post

I came across one this morning when I was walking through a neighbourhood eyeing houses for sale. She said, "now is the time to buy. This (listed at $89K) is going to be worth $150K by this time next year..." She had that fake sincerity smile on her face when she said that too.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
She said, "now is the time to buy. This (listed at $89K) is going to be worth $150K by this time next year..."
Really?! I'd say to her, if you put that in writing and make it part of the contract, I'll buy the house. Next year, I'll list the house with you and, if it sells for less, you and your lieing firm can make up the difference.

Words are cheap and integrity is rare - especially in the real estate profession. Her statement is a fine example of it.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I came across one this morning when I was walking through a neighbourhood eyeing houses for sale. She said, "now is the time to buy. This (listed at $89K) is going to be worth $150K by this time next year..." She had that fake sincerity smile on her face when she said that too.
Who said this? Your realtor? I would drop her in a second.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:18 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
[quote=garth;17721319]Really?! I'd say to her, if you put that in writing and make it part of the contract, I'll buy the house. Next year, I'll list the house with you and, if it sells for less, you and your lieing firm can make up the difference.

Words are cheap and integrity is rare - especially in the real estate profession. Her statement is a fine example of it.[/quote]

There are bad apples in every area of life. But to paint the entire real estate profession with that old broad brush is not fair to those agents and Realtors who are dedicated professionals and rely on personal referrals and excell in performance for the buyers and sellers.

It is glaringly obvious that this alleged remark was made (if a true quote) by an idiot who has no business whatsoever having a real estate license. Guaranteed, she won't be around very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate