Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times

Advertisements

Sorry, didn't realize I had posted Dr. Housing Bubble's old site. This one is current:

Real Homes of Genius

Now where can I git me one of them centaurs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 11:34 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Sorry, didn't realize I had posted Dr. Housing Bubble's old site. This one is current:

Real Homes of Genius

Now where can I git me one of them centaurs?
Apparently you need to go tracking in the woods with Brandon, probably with the help of some moonshine

Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A good Buyer's agent indeed does just that. I tried to preview all homes before setting up appointments to show the properties to my clients.
I don't see how you can preview a home for someone else and decide what they won't like. The only time Iv' done previewing was to find a specific thing they said they must have and pictures or a phone call won't tell you enough.

My guess is that the OP didn't tell his agent not to send listings near busy roads or the garbage thing or whatever. I don't think you can assume people won't like something unless they specifically say so. Perhaps it's because I bought a house with the bed/bath combo room. What if an agent had previewed this for me and decided I didn't like it?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I don't see how you can preview a home for someone else and decide what they won't like. The only time Iv' done previewing was to find a specific thing they said they must have and pictures or a phone call won't tell you enough.

My guess is that the OP didn't tell his agent not to send listings near busy roads or the garbage thing or whatever. I don't think you can assume people won't like something unless they specifically say so. Perhaps it's because I bought a house with the bed/bath combo room. What if an agent had previewed this for me and decided I didn't like it?

When I preview I never tell my clients not to see it. I send them my notes about what I saw which are generally objective. Sometimes they choose to pull things off the list because they know that something is a deal breaker or we really need to trim the number of houses we see because they are only in for two days.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:32 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Birn View Post
I personally thought your idea was a good one and would've offered a real opinion about a house I was going to possibly view. I don't know why there's no other website where house hunters can post their thoughts about a house. Yelp and TripAdvisor post information about restaurants. I don't see this as being any different. I looked for your site and was unable to find it and am sorry it doesn't exist. Laws don't exist for suppressing opinions about dining or apartment complexes. The right of free speech simply limits us from inciting riots (I know some law). Hope you'll reconsider reposting.
Redfin used to allow reviews of homes on their website. They had to remove that feature though. Some members of the MLS complained and got Redfin fined. While it was there, I thought it was pretty good. Saved me alot of time and allowed me cross off places of my list of places to visit. I disagree that only a few people visit one home and it is not worthwhile. One well attended open house and you have a number of opinions right there. But I can also see a vindictive neighbor or someone writing fake reviews. Yelp and Trip Advisor have mechanisms where reviews can be flagged or removed.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:51 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXN View Post
Saved me alot of time and allowed me cross off places of my list of places to visit.
I don't see how you get around this as a major issue. The potential abuse to me would by far outweigh any benefit.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I don't see how you can preview a home for someone else and decide what they won't like. The only time Iv' done previewing was to find a specific thing they said they must have and pictures or a phone call won't tell you enough. .............
It's called communications and getting a good idea through listening and showings and previews as to what appeals to your client and what does not. Every agent has his/her own style and that is why some agents are a better fit for Buyers/Sellers than others. YMMV.

Frankly, if I failed to preview a home for my clients, showed it to them anyway sight unseen, and they did not like it, I felt as though I had wasted both of our time. Agents know....time is $$!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:23 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
If you are going to preview the home(s), it would be best to make notes about any adverse conditions and let the buyer decide whether or not he wants to see the house. I would take photographs of anything I thought was not going to pass muster. You cannot make decisions or second guess a buyer. The house you don't show them, many times is the one they will buy. (Possibly from someone else. Ut oh.)

Old 01-04-2011, 04:03 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Apparently you need to go tracking in the woods with Brandon, probably with the help of some moonshine
I do live in the deep south. Deeeep south. We had the lizard man here also.

Lizard Man of Scape Ore Swamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You know if it's on the internet it's true.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Forget the centaur, you had me at "moonshine."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate