U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 09:16 AM

9,848 posts, read 16,346,143 times

Advertisements

Just got through watching an episode of House Hunters. why are people so picky about little things? time after time I see a couple, usually overly impressed with themselves, playing to the camera. They reject a perfectly good home for some little thing that could be changed with minimal time and money, and really doesn't matter, anyways.

I just got through watching a episode, seemed like a very nice home for good price, she wrinkled up her nose and said, oh, no way, those bathroom fixtures are sooooo outdated. Huh? Its not like they were from the 50's (in which case they would be considered retro!). Just a few years back. apparently I haven't kept up with the times, guess the gold colored fixtures are out, out, out, like gold towel racks, etc. so..............big deal, go to Home Depot, spend ~ $300 and get the towel racks, etc of your dreams. also, if the gold colored water faucets bother you so much, there again its an easy fix to redo them, an afternoon with a wrench and you're all set.

Who cares? I'm not planning on entertaining guests in my master bathroom! Perhaps some updating to the guest bathroom, but pleeeeeeze, why worry about simple things like the color of the towel rack or TP holder? Ok, if the bathroom itself is seriously out of date, such as too small, no seperate walk-in shower, storage, etc, then it would be a deal breaker, but not because the color of the towel racks doesn't suit.

I always look for the things that can't be changed, such as location, floor plan, etc.Due to physical limitations, I must have a one story, and want 4-5 bedrooms, 2.5-3 baths. Also, I want a "workable" kitchen, not too small. you can't change that. Otherwise, anything is open for consideration. Our first house was plain ugly cosmetically. It had that old wood paneling from the 60's, shag carpet, "psychedelic" wallpaper, but it was the floor plan and location we wanted and got it below market. About 5k worth of improvements and we brough it up to the 20th century! We bought it for 80K, sold it for 150K, not bad! Also, enjoyed living there.

I think the attitudes of today's home buyers reflects the housing market in general. People no longer think of a house as a long-term investment. its almost a throw-away item, to be used for 2-3 years, the move on. Buyers have no intention of making it a lifetime committment, like our parents did. Ok, few people stick it out the full 30 year term of the mortgage, but at least think longer term than a year or two. And quit worrying about the bathroom not being the latest and greatest, unless you routinely entertain your guests in there, which makes me wonder...........
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 AM

17,579 posts, read 40,567,709 times
The show is staged. They already are under contract with a house before they even start shooting. I'm guessing most of the "pickiness" is coming from the producers of the show.

We had a long thread on this before.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 AM

3,398 posts, read 4,404,096 times
Why do you consider it a good thing to stay in the same house 30 years?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Why do you consider it a good thing to stay in the same house 30 years?

Where did I say that?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 AM

5,702 posts, read 16,572,183 times
I have never been on the show but after reading many forums on how the show works I have to say I am a bit disappointed. But well.... I guess reality TV is never reality. Out of the 3 homes shown, the buyers are already under contract with one of the homes. So now I find myself looking for clues in the lying because essentially that is what it is. I think that is why some of the people say stupid things about not liking the toilet paper holder. They are also instructed to say certain things by the producers.

But in a way it does represent how buyers think. My sister sold real estate briefly and the things she told me made me crack up. She was dealing with clients years ago. They were young. The husband had a good head on his shoulders but the wife apparently was quite immature and bratty. My sister showed them 4 houses. All of them were in transitional neighborhoods due to their budget. Then a 5th house came on the market, an estate sale. The house was located in the best neighborhood for that area and was a steal. Priced thousands less than it should have been. The sellers were from out of state and simply wanted to sell their parent's home quick. My sister was geeked to show the couple the house. Tons of charm, hardwood floors and locale. But the wife couldn't get over one room bedroom with olive green carpet. ONE ROOM! My sister tried telling her the carpet could be tore up and she would have hardwood floors. She tried explaining the benefits of location and how they would have instant equity. The couple chose a completely outdated home in a rotten location. To this day, my sister has no idea what their reasoning was. Sometimes I think people truly do not know what they want. They just know what they don't want.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 AM

5,702 posts, read 16,572,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The show is staged. They already are under contract with a house before they even start shooting. I'm guessing most of the "pickiness" is coming from the producers of the show.

We had a long thread on this before.
You beat me to it.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 AM

Oh, I realize the show is staged, all shows are! But still, the things they are keying on show today's home purchaser doen't have a realistic idea of what it is they're purchasing. a major investment, for hopefully long enough to recup their closing costs, etc! I'd say at least 5 years, or just rent.

Many of today's homebuyers are dumb as dirt when it comes to what they are buying. Its a place for now, and resale for later. Look at it as a long-term committment you can't just turn over because you get tired of gold colored toilet paper holders.Focus on the bigger picture, not just the tiny details!

BTW, that's why we're currently renting. In this market, we can't see anything that will be an investment 5 years down the line, regardless of what the toilet paper thingie looks like!

Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
You beat me to it.

Can't find it, can you bring it up again please?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:07 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,985,878 times
I think the last thread on this had the info - but usually the house that they see without furniture in it is the one that they end up "choosing" in the end.....

Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 AM

10,778 posts, read 12,080,182 times
Though the shows are staged, far too many people follow HGTV like it's the end all be all mecca for everything housing. I remember seeing an episode where the lady really liked the house, but through an absolute sh*tfit because she didn't like the color in the bedroom Though from recently selling, people that are insanely picky are common. The worst example i experienced was a buyer liked the house, but walked because they didn't like my sofa,..In this market people are mainly two things, cheap as hell and lazy as hell. To most people just simple things like cabinet hardware and paint colors is no big deal, but to many buyers is looked at as some kind of major flaw that's going to be a nightmare to fix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or