Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM

220 posts, read 701,279 times

Advertisements

sounds fishy? I'd assume they should be in Cash or CD's..

first off there is no "Reserve Fund" outlined in Assets of Balance Sheet, so I'd assume its the liquid assets below....

$1,673,933.90 in Cash

$338,203.10 in CD's

$2,199,172.70 in Equities and Mutual Funds..

this can't be normal right? there are unrealized losses with the last group of funds so they can't just be sitting in conservative bonds..

besides the possibilities of kickbacks (that i should run away from this co-op)... would a co-op normally give me a list of all the funds/equities (actual TICKERS that make up the $2MM)?? thanks

shouldn't co-op cash be sitting in plain old boring FDIC accounts spread out to meet the limits?? what are they doing playing in equities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 07:51 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default No! You make a big assumption that "all equities have tanked"...

Many many many mutual funds have risk / volatility that is nothing to worry about -- bond funds are still mutual funds. Even some equities do make sense for the reserve funds -- if the stocks are paying nice dividends it would be foolish not to let the funds grow.

Most professional asset managers would be fine with the mix outlined here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksrich View Post
sounds fishy? I'd assume they should be in Cash or CD's..

first off there is no "Reserve Fund" outlined in Assets of Balance Sheet, so I'd assume its the liquid assets below....

$1,673,933.90 in Cash

$338,203.10 in CD's

$2,199,172.70 in Equities and Mutual Funds..

this can't be normal right? there are unrealized losses with the last group of funds so they can't just be sitting in conservative bonds..

besides the possibilities of kickbacks (that i should run away from this co-op)... would a co-op normally give me a list of all the funds/equities (actual TICKERS that make up the $2MM)?? thanks

shouldn't co-op cash be sitting in plain old boring FDIC accounts spread out to meet the limits?? what are they doing playing in equities?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:10 AM

220 posts, read 701,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Most professional asset managers would be fine with the mix outlined here.

agreed, but this is a co-op..not a hedge fund or private equity firm..

2008 and 2009 show unrealized losses back to back.. i understand 2008 was a horrid year, but 2009 equities recovered...

..this would lead me to believe securities aren't tucked into simple broad-market index DOW funds with low fees..

..but may actually be COMPANY and INDUSTRY specific (or even BRIC countries or emerging markets)..

..i'd actually be okay with it if securities were limited to maybe 20% of liquid assets but this makes up a huge chunk...

how realistic would it be for me to ask mgmt for every ticker for every security/mutual fund they hold?

Financial Statements and footnotes don't go that deep. thanks

Old 01-10-2011, 05:08 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default I think you might be setting yourself for conflict...

I would venture to say that 80% or more of the disputes that arise in condos and coops come from decisions around how big the reserves are, how they are managed and who has insight into "what is best". The more pricey the units the more likely there are to be big differences of opinions...

If you wanna risk setting yourself for conflict before you even move in asking for the specifics on the reserves is going to trigger it!

Honestly, you don't have to be a hedge fund guru to know that having some funds in even a solid but somewhat volatile stock that pays good dividends or a mutual fund that gnerally out performs unmanaged indices can be a way to legitimately "park" money that is unlikely to be spent while having it grow. This is not a completely uncommon thing at all -- I would venture to say that once upon a time MOST private clubs and such used this as a strategy to discourage newer members from wanting "upgrades". Image the scene -- you are younger guy that has just been graciously "admitted" to the High and Might Royal Oaks Golf , Bathing and Tennis Club of Old Money. Your wife is complaining that the showers are cold, the towels thread bare and sun chairs rickety. You decide to attend one of the bi-annual "Finance Cmt. Meetings" where the senior members dutifully listen to your wishlist and then say "well sport, your $50,000 equity stake now is tied up in Amagalamated Consolidated shares along with about $6M of other club members holdings, since the market is down we would have to take a loss to get enough cash to remodel. That wouldn't be very smart, would it sport?"

If you don't feel comfortable with that sort of "rite of passage" maybe a coop is not for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksrich View Post
agreed, but this is a co-op..not a hedge fund or private equity firm..

2008 and 2009 show unrealized losses back to back.. i understand 2008 was a horrid year, but 2009 equities recovered...

..this would lead me to believe securities aren't tucked into simple broad-market index DOW funds with low fees..

..but may actually be COMPANY and INDUSTRY specific (or even BRIC countries or emerging markets)..

..i'd actually be okay with it if securities were limited to maybe 20% of liquid assets but this makes up a huge chunk...

how realistic would it be for me to ask mgmt for every ticker for every security/mutual fund they hold?

Financial Statements and footnotes don't go that deep. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate