Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 PM

82 posts, read 255,866 times

Advertisements

I went for this one. It is required for any city or hud incentives here in TX
It is free. Worth the day you spend there.

Money Management International Presents Credit Education- CreditEducation.org

Check if they have something in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
see if you can beat the kids at Monopoly.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 AM

15 posts, read 48,526 times
I read "Home Buying for Dummies" book and it was really informative, I think it's worth checking it out. And if Nolo has a "Buying a home in (your state)" that should be worth while reading as well.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I have bought bunches of properties over the past 40 years; first as personal homes in the 70's when we were being relocated every 18 months (spouse's company paid most relo expenses so it was worth buying) and then as a residential property investor. I learn lessons with every deal. Often someone buying his first home will ask my advise and then keep in touch with me during the process. Things often happen during their journeys that I have not experienced. There are so many variables and then there are human factors on each end of the sale and along the road, too. Even mortgage loan officers get into the mix at times and their human failings can impact the process. Kind of like planning a wedding, most of us have done it (in my case 3x ) but the variables and people involved will cast a unique tone -- or sometimes outcome -- on each experience. So, just expect that your patience will be tested and you might have to stretch a bit in your personal capabilities (tolerance, vision, confrontation, strategist, reasonableness).

Good to educate yourself! Go to free FHA sessions (look online) and offerings of mortgage companies. Ask people who have experience and ask your parents if they won't try to direct your outcome. But understand that you will likely encounter unexpected bends in the road. Keep a few extra bottles of wine around or plan on more exercise (to work out your stress) during the journey. And keep throwing out questions here on CD. We all love to help because we can go thru it with you at no personal risk; how cool is that!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 AM

470 posts, read 1,501,081 times
Gary Keller, founder of Keller Williams, wrote a book entitled Your First Home: The Proven Path to Home Ownership. It is a short read with a tremendous amount of information. You can probably find it at your library, or, contact a Keller Williams agent in your area and you could might be able to get one there.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If you'll figure out hiring a good agent, they'll take care of the rest for you.
I wouldn't have excepted that out of a RE agent, but then again...
Especially when the OP is asking to be "educated" on the process- not spoon feed or handholding.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Especially when the OP is asking to be "educated" on the process- not spoon feed or handholding.
A good agent educates their clients. Every buyer I meet with I go over an 18 page presentation. It has market stats for the last 4 years, negotiation strategy, pq info, suggested interview questions for hiring an agent, home warranty info, etc. And they get a chance to ask questions. I'm not the only one that does this and I'd say it's pretty educational. Don't you think that is all info that would be good for a first time buyer?

Old 02-17-2011, 03:36 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
NACA's homebuying seminar is incredibly informative even if you don't use their mortgage program.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:55 AM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,148,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr

Mr. Hoffman,
You had a chance to poke some fun at this poster here: you didn't take it. I have read your posts as the opportunity has presented itself and you are one of the best RE contributors on the net. You seem like a professional and "higher ground" agent.
Keep up the great work!

My prediction is that the agents that are willing to work the hardest for BUYERS will be the ones who are going to be the most successful in the coming years. They will probably not spend much time reading charts and graphs and editorials as they will be too busy!
High standards always pay off.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:10 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
familiarize yourself with public records (assessor, treasurer, etc.). look at satellite photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate