Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:26 AM

263 posts, read 1,097,049 times

Advertisements

I had a buyer's agent show my property, yesterday and I was livid when I got home. They had left almost every light on in my house, they sat on my furniture because the sofa pillows were smooshed in and one was on the floor. They even MOVED some of my furniture around! He did not leave his business card. AND, to make matters worse - he submitted a low ball offer for his clients and was rude to my agent for no reason.

When we countered their offer, he replied "Well my clients are probably not going to go for this, they have other options. If you don't hear back from me assume that the offer is off the table". He's that arrogant that he doesn't have the common decency to call my agent and let us know that his clients declined the counter offer? What a jerk!

Needless to say, I'm boiling mad right now. Can I make a complaint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,164 times
You can always complain.... yet most of the time does it really do any good? Of course it does let us get rid of some steam... If the agent didn't leave a card, you'd have to spend the time finding out information as to where you can leave a complaint... If the agent sounds has wonderful as you mentioned it might not be worth "your" time.

I remember moving things around.... ex: furniture when I was house shopping but normally this wouldn't be on the 1st showing. If I walked around and liked the house enough the 1st time... the 2nd time I'd spend more time looking @ the "little" things I didn't bother with before. Some sellers will hide things that they don't want future buyers to see, so I took it upon myself to "snoop" around. I was decent enough to return things to their normal position...as I wouldn't want someone doing that to me. It's a shame this agent acted that way.... and I agree that they shouldn't have been sitting on your couch....... after all it's a stranger's belongings... why would you want to, to begin with? There are rude people out there who have on consideration for anything or anyone but themselves. I hope future "lookers" will be more considerate! Good luck with the selling, hopefully it will sell quickly for you.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 AM

If they only knew the things I've done on that couch...J/K

I've had several showings and this was my first bad experience and to top it off - they submitted an offer. Go figure!

Thanks for your reply, DeathRow.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:16 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2u View Post
I had a buyer's agent show my property, yesterday and I was livid when I got home. They had left almost every light on in my house, they sat on my furniture because the sofa pillows were smooshed in and one was on the floor. They even MOVED some of my furniture around! He did not leave his business card. AND, to make matters worse - he submitted a low ball offer for his clients and was rude to my agent for no reason.

When we countered their offer, he replied "Well my clients are probably not going to go for this, they have other options. If you don't hear back from me assume that the offer is off the table". He's that arrogant that he doesn't have the common decency to call my agent and let us know that his clients declined the counter offer? What a jerk!

Needless to say, I'm boiling mad right now. Can I make a complaint?
Cool down...any agent with a buyer who makes an offer is your friend.

You have a set of minor misdemeanors at worst. In my mind all forgiven when the offer shows up. Buyers agents at this stage of the market are cocky. Some of that noise the agent made is marketing malarkey...the agent is trying to make you uncomfortable with the likelihood of getting close to your desires. It works sometimes.

I would sit on your couch in a NY minute by the way. That is what they are for. It is a normal courtesy to allow guests to use such a facility. And it may well have been on your couch that the decision to make an offer happened. I would however smooth it out if it showed sitting signs. I like to leave things as I found them.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 AM

I'm cooling...

Old 07-19-2007, 09:42 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,134 times
I think it's a great sign that they sat on your couch. That's one of the things I learned when I was getting started in the business - have a place for the people to sit and envision the house as "theirs". So, even in a vacant home, I'll make sure to put a table and chairs or a small couch/loveseat, to give potential buyers a place to sit. And don't take it out on the buyers that they have an arrogant agent. They're the ones buying, not him. Best of luck - hope it comes together!

Old 07-19-2007, 09:45 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
You should contact your agent/broker and request that they include instructions in the listing requesting that showing agents turn off the lights after showings. Your broker can also complain to the showing agents broker about his behavior, but I doubt that anything will change as a result, unless a good number of brokers also have complained.

As to his attitude about the offer and lack of consideration about responding to the counter, I find that to be of more concern than the showing behaviors. There is not much you can do about it though. Unless you have included an expiration in your counter offer, they can consider it on the table until your property is sold and closed. You no longer have control over the offer once it is tendered unless you explicitly rescind it. That is seldom in your best interest, however, so it is almost never done unless someone just gets really ticked off and decides to refuse to sell to that buyer no matter what.

Take three deep breaths, hope a better offer is tendered before you have to deal with them again, and get on with your life. It is not worthwhile to fret over this kind of stuff.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:27 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Cool down...any agent with a buyer who makes an offer is your friend.

You have a set of minor misdemeanors at worst. In my mind all forgiven when the offer shows up. Buyers agents at this stage of the market are cocky. Some of that noise the agent made is marketing malarkey...the agent is trying to make you uncomfortable with the likelihood of getting close to your desires. It works sometimes.

I would sit on your couch in a NY minute by the way. That is what they are for. It is a normal courtesy to allow guests to use such a facility. And it may well have been on your couch that the decision to make an offer happened. I would however smooth it out if it showed sitting signs. I like to leave things as I found them.
Excellent advice. I also have had agents from other companies with their buyers leave lights on, move furniture, etc. My sellers have complained to me about it and I do my durnest to 'cool' them down. When buyers start sitting around and moving things, it sometime is a sign they are envisioning their furniture, etc. in your home. This is a good thing. I have had to drive 25 miles from my home late at night because an agent left lights on in an empty house and the neighbor called me.

It all works out. Good luck

Old 07-19-2007, 11:07 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I feel much better now. Sometimes you've just gotta vent, though.

I've got another showing this evening so if I find my pillows smooshed in this time, I'll take it as a compliment!

As for the offer, to my knowledge, everything was verbal between their agent and mine. I haven't signed any papers so as far as I'm concerned - they're history unless they submit an offer in writing.

Thanks for reminding me...Not to Sweat the Small Stuff.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:55 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,604,187 times
Our agent called us about a showing 30 mins before we said no sorry as we were staining the deck appointment cancelled - or so we thought. I have a chain on my front door so put it on Agent turned up to show put her hand in slipped the chain and took a chunk out of my door in the process !!! I was met by people in hallway asked how they got in and told her no was not convenient time to show. Called our agent and it was all fluffed over. I am sick to death of Agents here in Texas all they seem to want to do is list and nothing else - never had this problem and have brought and sold houses all over the world. We are now about to tell our second agent where to go and look for another one !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate