Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 AM

409 posts, read 872,825 times

Advertisements

What is the shortest amount of time you lived in a house before you sold it? I used to think people were crazy to buy a house immediately after or right before relocating. No way could you look at enough houses and check out the new neighborhood in these "house buying trips". Well I did the same thing and now I kinda regret it. I really like my new location but there are certain things about the house that bug me more than I thought they would. Things that cannot be changed - 2 instead of a 3 car garage, size of the MBR closet, etc. Overall its still a great house in a great neighborhood with a lot of pluses but there are just some things I am just starting to dislike. I am thinking about doing another house hunt in the spring, but this time taking my time and doing alot of looking. I wonder if anyone else has done it - bought and sold their house, then bought another one all in less than a year. Not a flip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
As long as you are fine with the financial implication, why not? You only live once.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default I would be amazed if you could get this to work financially...

With very very very few exceptions the odds of being able to live through the "finaniacal implications" are quite slim -- which is why most sane home buyers try to stay put!

I suspect that what the OP is a normal variant of the oft seen "buyers remorse" that sometimes does cause people to act against their own financial best interest.

What are the odds that a home with a three car garage, larger MBR closet and other such obvious upgrades is going to be same distance and such as current house and be within financial reach? Could the current house realistically be sold for amount that would at least cover the likely selling costs? Will kids have to transfer schools? If no kids then what caused you to be attracted to this house over others or the reverse? Has something in your work or other life factors changed?

By all means, if the finances and impact on your life make sense, and the reason you are doing this is not due to some other stress, there is no "magic number" that says you need to stay put for X months or face certain doom, but the hassle of factor of selling an existing house when most parts of the country still have high investors levels is enough to keep most people that do not NEED to sell from thinking about moving...

Old 01-31-2011, 12:12 PM

Here's my problem. Before I relocated I went on a house hunting trip. One of the houses I really, really, REALLY liked. Unfortunately it was out of my price range. I did make a offer, the max I was approved for, and it was rejected. Fast forward a couple of months and I still look back with regret that I didn't counter with a larger deposit or try to get another approval. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

I started this trend wondering if anyone else had a similarly situation. I'm not asking for justification. I know selling a house right after buying it is crazy and will most likely lose money. Don't know if I will make the move or not.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
I just bought recently. We ended up buying a house that was towards the lower end of our budget and therefore didn't have all the items we wanted. There were good reasons for buying the house we did, but I still think about some of the houses we passed on that were more expensive, but were much closer to our "dream home". My guess is this is fairly common.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:17 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,536,435 times
I'd talk to a RE agent and get a realistic idea of what your current house might bring and what you would net after all the closing costs.....then you will know if having that 3 car garage and the bigger MBR closet is really worth it at this point.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:44 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,229,188 times
I have bought and sold within 12 months. Twice. Not a flipper.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I have bought and sold within 12 months. Twice. Not a flipper.
Details please. Why did you sell so quickly after buying? Did you lose money on the deal?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:46 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,229,188 times
There have been some family issues that have caused the relocations.

One house made quite a bit. We did put some work into the house, mostly cosmetics. This house was bought in 2008 and sold in 2009.

One house was just short of break even after paying Realtor commission. This house was bought in 2009 and sold in 2010.

Currently renting.......

Old 02-01-2011, 07:48 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Moving is more of a pain in the rear than a closet that may be too small. I'd stay put, and have a garage sale in the spring to get rid of some of my crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate