Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:47 AM

74 posts, read 289,084 times

Advertisements

An alleged russian spy was one of their agents.
To her boss, alleged spy was an entry-level employee - Local News Updates - MetroDesk - The Boston Globe

I find this story fascinating. Especially b/c as her boss said "To be honest with you, it's hard for me to imagine that she was the top spymaster in this ring of spies, if she is guilty as charged,'' said Glenn Kelman, chief executive officer of Redfin. "She did not have a position that gave her access to the halls of power. She was in an entry-level position at our company.''
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 12:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
This is silly. Must have been a slow news day in Boston.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Redfin is the best. Nothing comes close.

One big improvement I'd like to see is a filter for searching by schools (like Madison County MLS has in Huntsville Alabama). So, if you like a particular middle school for example, you can filter out all homes that aren't zoned to it. The school data appear to be in Redfin's database (as input by the listing agent). Somehow, redfin should find a way to make those fields filterable.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Redfin is the best. Nothing comes close.

One big improvement I'd like to see is a filter for searching by schools (like Madison County MLS has in Huntsville Alabama). So, if you like a particular middle school for example, you can filter out all homes that aren't zoned to it. The school data appear to be in Redfin's database (as input by the listing agent). Somehow, redfin should find a way to make those fields filterable.
If nothing comes close i would think they would be in a few more markets.
What are they in? About 8 markets?

And they would have to actually be in the Huntsville,AL marketplace before they would be able to have any kind of filter there.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If nothing comes close i would think they would be in a few more markets.
What are they in? About 8 markets?

And they would have to actually be in the Huntsville,AL marketplace before they would be able to have any kind of filter there.

I don't understand while they're only in 8 or so markets either. I just like Redfin data delivery. Tabular, filterable, sortable, google maps interface, and downloadable with lots of extra fields (besides what are shown under the map).

As far as the school filter, I don't see why it can't be implemented in markets (like Southern California) which have school data in the listings. I've emailed the engineers at redfin and posted on the redfin forum requesting this. Still haven't received a response.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:58 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,148,792 times
Quote:
I don't understand while they're only in 8 or so markets either. I just like Redfin data delivery. Tabular, filterable, sortable, google maps interface, and downloadable with lots of extra fields (besides what are shown under the map).

As far as the school filter, I don't see why it can't be implemented in markets (like Southern California) which have school data in the listings. I've emailed the engineers at redfin and posted on the redfin forum requesting this. Still haven't received a response.
I am guessing that since NAR owns the data, they have an agreement with RedFin on what markets and what data they can show. You notice how the data gets real skimpy after a sale. That, I believe, is all part of the agreement.

I think RedFin is going about it the right way, get a killer app out there. At this point, they seem to be the leader in the interface area. The next step is to get the data more open. A few lawsuits and that will happen.

NAR operates Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings. They have ALL the data but a crap interface. They could have snubbed RedFin, Trulia, and the rest right out of the gate.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
The next step is to get the data more open. A few lawsuits and that will happen.
It's the opposite in Huntsville for anonymous internet users. Would you believe no listings in Northern Alabama have square footage? Also, there are no recent sales data available - that's right - no way for a buyer or seller to look at comps. And, only recently, the NAMLS made addresses available - before a few months ago listings didn't even have addresses. California is great in comparison.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:19 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,585,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I am guessing that since NAR owns the data, they have an agreement with RedFin on what markets and what data they can show. You notice how the data gets real skimpy after a sale. That, I believe, is all part of the agreement....
You guess wrong. Each local MLS owns their own data, and requirements for what data is collected and available for access by outside systems.

RedFin has their own criteria for entering various markets, which at least partially depends on hitting certain sales price points to make their rebate system work. It is also a function of available capital to allow their expansion. They only recently entered the Phoenix market.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:56 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
It's the opposite in Huntsville for anonymous internet users. Would you believe no listings in Northern Alabama have square footage? Also, there are no recent sales data available - that's right - no way for a buyer or seller to look at comps. And, only recently, the NAMLS made addresses available - before a few months ago listings didn't even have addresses. California is great in comparison.
Is Alabama by any chance a non-disclosure state like Texas is? Here, where we value our privacy, even the tax man doesn't have to be given the sold information on a house if the buyer doesn't choose to give it to them, and there are penalties for disclosing that information outside of very carefully restricted parameters. If Alabama has similar laws, that might be one reason why possible buyers and sellers can't just get the information about someone else's property just because they want it. (Sort of like you don't have to disclose the balance in your checkbook or how much your paycheck is to someone else just because they'd like to know for purposes of their own.)

Old 06-29-2010, 04:23 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times
Quote:

I am just going to pull from another thread where I commented on this, so it is not all relevant but you will get the idea why they are only in 8 or 9 markets.

Quote:
On the selling side for a seller to start seeing any real savings the house is going to need to be at least $250,000 and even at that price they may see a savings of $1000 using Redfin over a full service agent.

70% of the homes sold in Sept 09 were under $250,000. Of the 30% of the sales above $250,000 you have those areas where only a small pocket of homes are above that mark and it would not be fiscally sound for them to try and break into that area.

On the buyer side I will point out one thing, between Jan 06 and May 08 (Only dates I was able to get figures on) people in Kings County, WA that used a traditional buyers agent paid a median of $231 a square foot, buyers that used a Redfin agent paid a median of $255 a square foot.

Based on a 2000 sq ft house with an median sale price of $450,000 that would equal $48,000 more using a Redfin agent. But they got back a rebate of $8,910 so they really only paid $39,000 more than they had to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate