Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:44 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,462,675 times

Advertisements

There are a few properties in my area and I learned about one in an area I want to move to that are not posting "For Sale" signs in front of the property.

Why would someone want to do this? Is this just because if people see the sign in front of a property for too long(however long that is) they begin to think something might be wrong with it?

I can think of two properties that are for sale, one is listed on MLS yet neither have signs out any more. They did used to. Is it better in a buyers market for people to think the property is not for sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 03:24 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,682,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
There are a few properties in my area and I learned about one in an area I want to move to that are not posting "For Sale" signs in front of the property.

Why would someone want to do this? Is this just because if people see the sign in front of a property for too long(however long that is) they begin to think something might be wrong with it?

I can think of two properties that are for sale, one is listed on MLS yet neither have signs out any more. They did used to. Is it better in a buyers market for people to think the property is not for sale?
I have heard of some sellers not wanting a sign because they don't want the neighbors to say much (doesn't makes sense to me ... but that's they're choice.

Some subdivision only permit signs for a limited duration.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
I have heard of some sellers not wanting a sign because they don't want the neighbors to say much (doesn't makes sense to me ... but that's they're choice.

Some subdivision only permit signs for a limited duration.
Hmm, I guess that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:39 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,844,683 times
emily, it isn't a good idea to forego a sign. It is still one of the highest reasons that a house gets sold. People target a neighborhood and wait for those signs... It is more important advertising, IMHO, than the newspaper or those house magazine's. Internet is still important, but sign is up there!!!

Those sellers made a decision, probably for vanity reasons, that may hurt them in the long run, in my opinion.

shelly

Old 09-30-2007, 07:51 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,324,554 times
I can't think of one good reason to not have a "For Sale" sign on the property. It could be that the HOA restricts them in that neighborhood. Arizona just passed a law this past month with states that HOA's cannot prohibit For Sale signs or the color of the signs. The only limitation now is that the sign cannot be larger than 18"x24" + a sign rider; however the HOA can dictate the size and style of post used.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
One other reason for no For Sale signs - there are instances where crooks target listed property -

Old 10-01-2007, 01:48 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
Believe me, the neighbors already know the RE market stinks on ice if you're trying to sell.

Several of the showings I've had were because of the sign. I actually have 2 signs. One in the front and one in the back so boat traffic can see it as well.

I think a vacant home, more than a for sale sign, is an invitation to thieves/vandals. But sometimes you have no choice.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:17 PM

That is a great idea to have 2 signs if you are on the water.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:14 PM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
I had a seller request no sign - she didn't want the ex to know she was moving (he never owned the property, and had no claims, and no kids, but shared custody of a german sheppard.) So I respected her wishes. I am sure a bunch of people drove past and thought - "Gee this house is pretty, I'd take a look at it, if it was for sale."

Old 10-01-2007, 02:41 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
The owners are sneeking out of the neighborhood and don't want the neighbors to question their motives or "brow beat" them for repressing home values if they are low balling for a quick sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate