Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
townhouse = too many stairs for some people with bad knees, small kids, etc.
My townhouse is 1250 square feet with no stairs, other than stepping one step up into the front and back door, like any other single level single family house. Assuming a townhouse must have stairs is a bad assumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
My townhouse is 1250 square feet with no stairs, other than stepping one step up into the front and back door, like any other single level single family house. Assuming a townhouse must have stairs is a bad assumption.
A singe story townhome would be great if I could find one in the right location. In Houston they tend not to be in nice neighborhoods. I found a little complex of them right beside 610 south loop. They are surprisingly pricey I think for the location, given the noise. But I am absolutely open to finding one.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 AM

9 posts, read 56,649 times
Hi

I think, to each his own. I need to have a yard, as I enjoy gardening so much. Its also a place for my kids to visit and for family to enjoy. With a yard also comes a pool.

I like my neighbors, and I like them at a distance. I prefer not to share a wall with them.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 502 times
My son and I are moving to a townhouse for many good reasons. The thickness between townhouses making them noise free. No more shoveling snow, no more worrying about break-ins as we'll actually have deadbolts and security and windows are high enough no more peeping Tom's. , We're closer to the hospital, we'll have washer dryer hookup. And last but not least, stairs to help us stay more fit. I've had 21 surgeries, going for #22 July 30th, then 3 more following. Believe me, I need to move again from setting so many years. Where we are now, a 2 bedroom apartment with no deadbolts, been threatened multiple times, guns, drugs, the Dominic Republicans taking over the complex running us out. I'm not by all means racist, but if you're coming to the U.S. to live, leave your bad habits behind and stop running people out of what they have called home for many many years. People driving fancy cars and still getting government assistance, receiving government grants and living like kings and queens, bragging they dont have to pay it back. We struggle on 800 a month and get pushed out of our home over foolishness. So yes where we ate going, a townhouse is much safer than an apartment. And we can buy a grill..it'll be the first grilled food in over 15yrs.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:44 PM

6,474 posts, read 10,343,886 times
No need to Bold your entire post and paragraphs make it much easier to read. Not usually a good idea to add more information to an old post, start a new one instead.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:07 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
1. i dont have anything to worry about if anything happens, being in the hoa takes care of it.

2. dont have a yard i have to mow. driveway is shoveled for me and i just dont have the hassles of having a yard.

3. better bang for your buck. i can get more square feet and a better deal with a townhome.

to me its a no brainer.

Townhomes have a lot of appeal for people who don't want a lot of yard but want a private entrance and maybe a porch to put a few flowers on. It's like a condo without the elevator.

Now... if you want goats and chickens, we're going to need to find a place with more land.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:29 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
We own and lived in a few HOA communities. While there it was great in a lot of ways. Exterior stuff was taken care of by the HOA. Street, roof, exterior walls and wood repairs, pool, street lights, trash, landscaping. The interior was our responsibility but none was hard to do or would be any different than owning a house.

The drawbacks...
Stupidity in some of the people who are on the board.
Sometimes the management company.
Neighbors not so much because regardless where you live you live you can have ****ty neighbors.
Our places were pretty well insulated so we didn’t hear the neighbors unless they were overly loud.

If you’re a person who doesn’t need huge yards, landscaping and a big lot a townhouse may be fine. Like anything there are pros and cons to HOA townhouse,

Old 07-15-2019, 11:00 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
My wife and I did not have children so we found townhouse living to fit our lifestyle. Ours were 3-4 units per building. Each unit had a one car garage and enough driveway for another car. Ground floor entry with kitchen, dining room, living room, small den, small Florida room, laundry area, and 1/2 bath. French doors to two decks. Upstairs was 2 bedrooms each with their own full bathroom. The master had more closet space and a bigger bath with private toilet room. There was a full basement which some refinished into several rooms.

Few had children and those that had some usually moved out when the kids were older so the neighborhood was mostly adults and events were rather quiet. We were in an end unit so we only had neighbors on one side. We never heard our neighbors even when they entertained. We would pass by each other when coming/going to our garages.

Great place and living. Left there (MA) to retire South.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:18 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Townhomes have a lot of appeal for people who don't want a lot of yard but want a private entrance and maybe a porch to put a few flowers on. It's like a condo without the elevator.

Now... if you want goats and chickens, we're going to need to find a place with more land.
A townhouse CAN be a condo, which is a form of ownership, not a building type, although I always think of a townhouse as being two or more levels. This discussion was recently on another thread.

I have a one-story condo/townhouse, if you will. No front steps on my unit (I figured I can get old and decrepit here). I have a covered front porch and a fenced-in patio/garden area out back with enough room to grow tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, etc. No one is over me or under me. I have an attic with pull-down stairs and a storage room that also contains the furnace and water heater.

It's two BR, one bath, 942 s.f.

Alas, no room for goats or chickens.

For an older single person like me, it's perfect. It snows overnight, and I wake up to the sound of three guys outside shoveling my sidewalk and porch and another one in a Bobcat clearing the parking lot. But there are younger people with children here, too.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:32 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Well, it's all fun and games till Sammy Subwoofer buys (not rents) the unit upstairs or next to you, and you get to listen to half his music, or his video game thumps and booms, at all hours of the morning, and when you complain he tells you that you are making it all up. Now you've got to wait till he sells. And don't tell me about how "well insulated" your place was. Unless you've got solid concrete walls and isolated floors and no unsealed penetrations whatsoever (attics!) you're going to hear Sammy.

I am doing the best I can never to share walls again, till I have to move to assisted living, at which point hopefully I"ll be so deaf it won't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate