Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,383 times

Advertisements

AWW Come on. Poor guy. Shouldn't the government bail him out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 05:01 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
How is this guy going to feel when eventually he is forclosed on and evicted (even if it's a couple years down the road), and he can't get another mortgage? Living in some crappy apartment is going to be quite the wakeup call for him.
$1,000,000 mortgage at about $6,000 a month times 12 months plus $20,000 a year in taxes. Over a 3 year period that could work out to almost $280,000 that they could bank over 3 years.

That's going to be some crappy apartment.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:31 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,960 times
There is no morality available in this play unless you consider that self interest is the ultimate moral play.

In short, the banks helped get people elected. The people they helped get elected designated the citizen's money to benefit the banks.

IMO, the only moral play is to screw the banks as much as possible and at least help yourself to some of that tax payer benefit.

I'll note, I do not own, nor have I in the past. I have no self interest in this at all, other than to see house prices drop to the point that I can afford a modest home in a safe middle class neighborhood of Los Angeles. At a very middle class income of $85-100K a year, I am unable to afford even the smallest homes in middle class suburbs of Los Angeles such as Burbank, Culver City, Pasadena, etc. as starter homes in those areas(plumped by liar loans) are roughly 4.5-7x my income.

Seeing as I am single, support no one else, and my income is roughly double the household income in Los Angeles, I do not believe I am making an unreasonable wish.

In short, more power to those who are able to game the system that has been gaming all of us.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Hello Cohdane:

I modified your comment as noted above.
Only you could tweak this story in a way that would make me laugh.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:42 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times
There are a few reasons for people to walk a way from a mortgage for a "business decision"

1. They live in a non recourse loan state like California where banks can't go after personal assets. They can only foreclose on a home only.
2. People who live in a recourse state who have zero assets to protect and don't have enough future income for the banks to go after (they could be some joe small investor who aren't a doctor or lawyer where the banks can see future income to go after).

I am betting this guy in the video (I can't play the video at my work computer at this time) fits into one of the two situations.

That's why these "walk away" websites are not designed for people who are careful with their money (have savings outside of retirement) or live in recourse loan states where banks can issue deficiency judgments.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:47 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom
Hello Cohdane:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane
I can't even begin to imagine how much more is sitting
in shadows with leased Lexus driving squatters.
I modified your comment as noted above.
Lots of squatters are perfectly current on stuff like car payments. (*) (++)

Just because you are making car payments, doesn't mean you own the car. Lots of those Lexii ( Lex - eye ),
Mercedii, BMW-ii -- are on the road with a 5 or 6 year loan. Most people who take out such a
ridiculous loan will buy another car before they ever see positive "equity" in their vehicle.

(*) ... and current on the big-screen-TV, leather furniture, etc.

(++) It's too bad they can't also be current on property taxes and HOA dues.

Buying stuff on time, or worse, leasing stuff, is a form of slavery.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:48 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
How is this guy going to feel when eventually he is forclosed on and evicted (even if it's a couple years down the road), and he can't get another mortgage? Living in some crappy apartment is going to be quite the wakeup call for him.
He'll rent and then stop paying rent after the intial first and last. It takes a long time to evict a dead beat tenant. If he drives up in a nice car wearing a nice suit they probably won't do a background check.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:52 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
He'll rent and then stop paying rent after the intial first and last. It takes a long time to evict a dead beat tenant. If he drives up in a nice car wearing a nice suit they probably won't do a background check.
Most people will be able to get an FHA loan within 3 years after defaulting on a loan.

Gotta love government sponsored loans.

Actually the more I think about it. I had neighbors who stopped paying for 2 1/2 years AND than put their home on as a short sell. Took them another 6 months to short sell their place.

So these people went through HAFA, paid zero mortgage/lived rent free for 3 years and the government will let them get an FHA loan in as little as 3 years.

So in essence there is no penalty for these people besides their credit being shot. But hey, they would have saved $200K on mortgages over 3 years. Most people would trade poor credit for saving 200K.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:54 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Or this person could very well already own another house.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:55 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
There are tens of thousands doing this and many more to come as the word gets out that anybody can get away with it.

Mortgage squatters now average over 500 days in delinquency - Irvine Real Estate & Irvine Homes - Irvine Housing Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate