Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Most people would trade poor credit for saving 200K.
Sign me up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:59 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72
... only moral play is to screw the banks as much as possible
and at least help yourself to some of that tax payer benefit.
Unfortunately, the banks win no matter what you do.

One of the reasons that there was a bubble and crash is that you don't
actually owe the bank in the first place. The bank sold your loan before
you ever got the key in the door after signing stuff at the title company.

The bank wins if you keep paying - they get fees.
The bank wins if you default ------ they get fees.
The bank wins if you short sell ---- they get fees.

Freddy and Fanny should be abolished.
All mortgage loans should be retained by those who issue them.
All home purchases should require a minimum of 10% of the money down.
... AND ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp
Gotta love government sponsored loans.
The government should get out of the mortgage-guarantee business.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Whatever happened to integrity?....
A quaint idea associated with a time long gone. Like chivalry, nobility, decency, honor, and some other extinct values.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
Not for us remaining swashbuckling types...ha ha!

Old 02-11-2011, 03:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

Freddy and Fanny should be abolished.
All mortgage loans should be retained by those who issue them.
All home purchases should require a minimum of 10% of the money down.
... AND ...
The government should get out of the mortgage-guarantee business.
This was typical life before the New Deal, 75 years ago.

Most mortgages were retained by the institutions who issued them. As such, the funds available for mortgages were directly tied to deposits which, at the time, were not protected by the government and bank runs were common.

Most mortgages required a 50% downstroke.

Most mortgages had a 5 year balloon payment at which point it was either paid off or refinanced at interest rates higher than the current rates.

Most folk were lifetime renters with no hope of owning anything.

And despite it all, about 50% of all property eventually went into foreclosure during the Great Depression.

Government intervention in the 30's, created a middle class.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:26 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom
This was typical life before the New Deal, 75 years ago.
Most mortgages required a 50% downstroke.
That's excessive.
Quote:
Most mortgages were retained by the institutions who issued them.
As such, the funds available for mortgages were directly tied to deposits ...
Since banks have the ability to borrow unlimited amounts from
the fed, deposits would only be one of many sources of funds.
Quote:
which, at the time, were not protected by
the government and bank runs were common.
You make is sound like this would happen again if
banks were required to hold their own mortgages.

Since it wouldn't then it doesn't matter that bank runs were common.
Quote:
Most mortgages had a 5 year balloon payment at which point it was either
paid off or refinanced at interest rates higher than the current rates.
That must have been a pain. So what?
Quote:
And despite it all, about 50% of all property eventually went into foreclosure during the Great Depression.
You mean 50% of all property with a mortgage went into foreclosure, right?

1/3rd of all loans are under water with more coming.
It is not out of the question that 50% number could happen again.
Quote:
Government intervention in the 30's, created a middle class.
There was a middle class before that.
There was a strong middle class in the 1920's.

You make it sound as if having a sound mortgage system
would eliminate the middle class and home ownership.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
I really think the government should still stay in the mortgage business but with a reduced role. I think the last report I heard were up to 60% of all loans made in 2010 were with less than 3.5% down (FHA/VA loans). And up to 90% of all loans were government backed loans if we were to include Fannie/Freddie. I think 10% down for a government loan is a fair way to start things. I am sure the Mortgage/home builders/realtors national association will fight tooth and nails against this (they think short term and not long term).

There will always be a private mortgage market. But private mortgage markets will return in force when 20-25% down will become the norm again.

In foreign countries, they require up to 50% down on homes. I know my brother has 2nd condo in Malaysia and he needed around 50% down for that condo.

But 10% down is a good start.

Think about this. Most parts of the county at down around 15- 20% from "peak". I know some places in Arizona, the boonies in California, Vegas, some parts of Florida are down 30-50%. But most other places are down at most 20%.

If people would have put down 10% even at peak...add 5-6 years of paying into the principal. They would have at least 20% "equity" in the home after 5 years. So with a 20% decrease in housing prices, they would still be "even" and not underwater on their mortgages.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:55 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I really think the government should still stay in the mortgage business but with a reduced role. I think the last report I heard were up to 60% of all loans made in 2010 were with less than 3.5% down (FHA/VA loans). And up to 90% of all loans were government backed loans if we were to include Fannie/Freddie. I think 10% down for a government loan is a fair way to start things. I am sure the Mortgage/home builders/realtors national association will fight tooth and nails against this (they think short term and not long term).

There will always be a private mortgage market. But private mortgage markets will return in force when 20-25% down will become the norm again.

In foreign countries, they require up to 50% down on homes. I know my brother has 2nd condo in Malaysia and he needed around 50% down for that condo.

But 10% down is a good start.

Think about this. Most parts of the county at down around 15- 20% from "peak". I know some places in Arizona, the boonies in California, Vegas, some parts of Florida are down 30-50%. But most other places are down at most 20%.

If people would have put down 10% even at peak...add 5-6 years of paying into the principal. They would have at least 20% "equity" in the home after 5 years. So with a 20% decrease in housing prices, they would still be "even" and not underwater on their mortgages.
10% minimum down will crush prices. Cool idea IMO. People that can save up $25-$50K(down, closing, light cosmetic work...no bleeping upscale faux rich crap like granite) will make hay and be well able to pick and choose middle class homes in middle class neighborhoods. The turds that can't save much and are on 3.5% down loans will be ejected from consideration. Woo hoo....final leg down, here we come!

Old 02-12-2011, 12:11 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times
Perhaps prices will drop enough that 10-20% down will be the same as 3.5% at peak. Bet it will work out that way in some neighborhoods.

How messed up is that?

I do think that "owners" would be much less likely to strategically default if they had more than zero to 3.5% at stake.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:17 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Perhaps prices will drop enough that 10-20% down will be the same as 3.5% at peak. Bet it will work out that way in some neighborhoods.

How messed up is that?

I do think that "owners" would be much less likely to strategically default if they had more than zero to 3.5% at stake.
Well if you look at past crashes, theres a tendency to over correct.

Where I'm looking at the moment, prices remain slightly out of reach for me on 3bd/2ba 1500 sq ft.....$350-550K depending on the neighborhood.

So 10% at the moment is 35-55K(and probably 25K more for closing and light cosmetic work/landscaping).

3.5% is ~$12.5-$19.5K.

But prices in 1998 for these areas was $175-275K. So 10% of that is $17.5K-27.5K.

So your notion is not far off the mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate