U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 PM

218 posts, read 760,577 times

Advertisements

Due to scheduling issues, I typically only have one or two days per week that I can look at houses and it's usually within a specific time frame. From reading here, I know that using multiple agents is generally regarded as a no-no. However, would having the listing agent show me a home be considered ok? A friend mentioned that she had done that when she was searching for a home and then had her realtor show them the houses again if they were really interested. Since my time is limited and then becomes further limited by my realtor's availability, I thought this might be an option for squeezing in additional viewings when I can but my realtor can't. Open houses in my area seem to happen on Sundays most often with the occassional Saturday, but they tend to be smack in the middle of the day when I'm not able to go.

I'm a first time homebuyer and still trying to narrow down exactly what I'm looking for so I have a feeling I'll need to see quite a few homes. I'm not locked into purchasing by any kind of deadline but I've been wanting to move so I'd love to find a place within the next couple of months if possible. If I'm going to end up viewing 20 or more houses I'd rather see more in a shorter time than to only see 2-3 homes per week and take longer to find one I want to buy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:13 PM

8,189 posts, read 29,894,397 times
If your agent is routinely unavailable when you want to see houses then you need a different agent who is available when you are.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:19 PM

6,952 posts, read 21,394,579 times
If your agent is part of a team there should be other agents who can show you places from the team. If your agent has you sign an exclusive agreement, be clear that you will only do that if the agent arranges to get you in houses when you want to see them. Not fair to the listing agent to show you a place unless your own agent makes that agreement with the listing agent, not you.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:21 PM

60,965 posts, read 41,868,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post

Since my time is limited and then becomes further limited by my realtor's availability, I thought this might be an option for squeezing in additional viewings when I can but my realtor can't.

If I'm going to end up viewing 20 or more houses I'd rather see more in a shorter time than to only see 2-3 homes per week and take longer to find one I want to buy.
How long have you been looking? What price point? What happens if you do not buy? Are you including short sales? Have you signed an agency agreement with this agent/broker?

Most agents will arrange for someone else to take their client out if they are unavailable, assuming the client is ready, willing and able to buy something and is reaslistic about local market conditions. Of course local practices can and do vary.

No reason why you could not comfortably see 20 homes over a 2 day period.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:47 PM

3,398 posts, read 4,775,084 times
Have your agent call the listing agent and arrange this. It can be done, but the two agents need to be in agreement with this or the listing agent may assume that your agent isn't part of the transaction. This can come back to hurt you if you have signed a buyers agreement or if you were really counting on having representation from the agent you have been working with.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:25 PM

218 posts, read 760,577 times
I haven't signed anything with the realtor. She is a former co-worker who went into real estate. I found a house online that interested me and she agreed to show it the same day I asked, so far that's the only house we've seen. I do feel somewhat obligated to use this realtor as I know her and it would be awkward for me to go with someone else. She's not refusing to show me houses, it's just that I have limited availability. I expect her to be accomodating but I also realize she has other clients and a personal life so I don't expect her to be available whenever I am.

She works for a large company but I'm not sure if she's part of a team. Just because you work for Prudential or Century 21 or some other large company doesn't mean you'd be part of a team does it?

I just started looking about two weeks ago, she agreed to show three houses this weekend and I gave her a prioritized list of those I'd most like to see. There are currently 15 houses on my list and that's just for the one area. I've not driven by every house yet but of the six local areas I'd consider there were almost 100 homes from the MLS search and after driving by those in the largest area, I've narrowed the list to 70 with 15 being in the largest area--also the area I'm most interested in.

I'm looking at houses up to $125,000. If I don't buy right away, I'll continue renting. I'm flexible on the date as I'm currently renting and am on a month to month lease since I've been in my current place for a few years. I don't have children so no concerns about finishing or starting a school year either. I'd like to find a house sooner rather than later, only because I'd like to move and be done with it not because I have to move by a certain date.

Honestly, no idea at all if I'm realistic about market conditions! I've never done this before so I don't know how to evaluate that. I know I'm not interested in a trailer, I want 3 bedrooms and more than one bathroom, even if it's a half bath. I'd like to keep the price under 125k but would certainly consider something lower. Initially I was willing to consider a fixer upper and do a 203k loan but with further research have decided against that. The house doesn't have to be in perfect condition but I want to do an FHA loan so the house needs to meet those standards. Two friends have recently purchased homes, one for 78k and the other for 82k in the same area I'm looking and except for one of them having only one bathroom, I'd have been interested in both of them. Based on that I think my price point is reasonable for a 3/1.5+ I am still figuring out exactly what I'm looking for but I don't know how to do that without looking at some houses.

I guess my thought was the LA would be getting the sale if I purchased and I'm the kind of person who would want to "sleep" on such a major decision so I'd most likely want to see the house twice and the second time could be with my realtor. Sounds like it's not such a good idea though so I'll try to be patient!

I know it's the realtor's job to show me houses but I do feel like I'd be monopolizing her time by asking to see 20 houses in 2 days. Is that generally considered acceptable to do? I suppose she could always say no but since she suggested seeing 3 houses when I asked to see some this weekened I don't know how she'd take me asking to see 20!

Old 02-18-2011, 02:28 PM

2,511 posts, read 5,765,929 times
I'm in a similar position. Except the agent is only available to show houses that she thinks will net her the commission she wants.

Next week I'm going to find another agent, or two, or three. I figure the one who wants to take the time to show homes and make a sale is the one who will make a commission.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 PM

265 posts, read 891,761 times
Seeing 20 houses in a weekend is fairly normal especially when we are working with clients from out of town. More than 10 in a day can get a bit overwhelming. I would recommend talking to your REALTOR and scheduling the time in advance.

Not sure where you are looking but if it is in a market that has a large amount of foreclosures or vacant short sale you may only be able to see them in the daylight hours since many do not have utilities on.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM

948 posts, read 2,608,749 times
It's fine, as long as no one is in the dark as far as the agencies go. Do Not answer or ask the other agent(s) questions - simply use them as door opener - take notes and get back to your agent - make sure to go back if it is of interest with Your agent. As others have said if it is an ongoing issue you may need to find another agent - if you like the agent and is a scheduling issue have them refer you to someone that it will click with better - that way if the other agent has much invested with you they will still have the opp. to get paid a percentage of the commission at close for their prior efforts.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:59 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,423,003 times
When we were looking to rent we popped into 'open houses' if we just happened to drive by or found them on the internet that morning. Sometimes it was too short notice to see them with our real estate guy so we went in and told the listing agent the situation and gave them our agents name and contact details. Usually we were able to cross them off our list and it saved time all round......I
f you have a good agent stick with them and just be transparent about what you have seen etc. If you have an agent who doesn't show you what you want - get a new agent....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate