Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:05 AM

784 posts, read 3,131,232 times

Advertisements

I have done extensive blue water sailing in a 34 ft sloop as helmsman and crew. I even have some qualifications that would allow me to do delivery trips. But that was in my previous incarnation in this lifetime. I have done some sailing here but Galveston Bay doesn't compare very well with the Scottish islands or the Mediterranean. Still I kind of miss even that sailing. Owning a sloop is expensive. My ex husband used to say that it was like standing under a cold shower tearing up $100 bills. Probably in Texas that would be a hot shower.

I wouldn't want to live on a boat now for more than a few nights on vacation. An RV seems to me the same kind of life. I want a home that doesn't move!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 10:01 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,173,397 times
I don't know, getting up every morning to a different view of sunrise, watching a new sunset. I know I sure could handle a moving home. I'd absolutely adore a sloop for a home. Would I miss the gardening? possibly, but I'd have all that water for swimming. As for a fifth wheel, I've never done RV camping or travelling. I'd like to try it out. When we move, that's one of the things we'll be looking at - buying a used RV or bus.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:09 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,229,412 times
Carole, I trained on a 29 foot sloop. Annie, you'd miss the gardening but you'd get the fishing.

My intended full time RV "incarnation" is intended to last only 6-18 months. I fully intend to buy a nice home for my retirement after that. A nice large, comfortable home with way more sq.ft. and rooms than I need, and a much, much larger lot than I could ever justify. I like neighbors but I want to like them from a distance.

Greg/Lovehound

Old 02-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I don't know, getting up every morning to a different view of sunrise, watching a new sunset. I know I sure could handle a moving home. I'd absolutely adore a sloop for a home.
That part of living on a sloop is awesome. Watching dolphins surfing on the bow wave--incredible. Sitting on the deck, sipping a cocktail while at anchor in a exotic place--nothing to beat it. The problem is getting there.

Sailing in high seas in the pouring rain with the boat pitching up and down and trying to sleep when you are tacking into the wind, not so much fun. Like everything else in life there are wonderful moments when you cannot imagine doing anything else, and awful moments when you would kill for a bit of normalcy. A hot shower whenever I want one--in fresh water, not salt. Being able to stand upright in front of the stove instead of at an angle because the boat is tacking and if you don't brace yourself you will fall into the stove or on your back on the chart table!

Maybe gentle days sails are better. But even then, you have to get there. Our sloop could go at a maximum of 9 mph. It takes a while to get anywhere at the speed.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Carole, I trained on a 29 foot sloop. Annie, you'd miss the gardening but you'd get the fishing.

My intended full time RV "incarnation" is intended to last only 6-18 months. I fully intend to buy a nice home for my retirement after that. A nice large, comfortable home with way more sq.ft. and rooms than I need, and a much, much larger lot than I could ever justify. I like neighbors but I want to like them from a distance.

Greg/Lovehound
You have a name! Hi Greg!

I would like much less contact with neighbors too, but as a single woman, I prefer some proximity. I can't afford a gignormous house and land. I just want my own space and no one though by bedroom wall. Why is that os hard o accommodate in condos and townhouses, which are a more logical choice for someone like me.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:02 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,173,397 times
Quote:

Greg/Lovehound
ACK, no fishing. Makes the boat stink. Besides, I can eat what I grow in my garden and I don't eat fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
You have a name! Hi Greg!

I would like much less contact with neighbors too, but as a single woman, I prefer some proximity. I can't afford a gignormous house and land. I just want my own space and no one though by bedroom wall. Why is that os hard o accommodate in condos and townhouses, which are a more logical choice for someone like me.
Carol, I once rented a house with a really great set-up. Some people might call it semi-detached or 2 family, whatever. These units were 1 floor (plus basement) and were connected with the garages in the middle, then the kitchen and on the ends were the bedrooms. There were 3 in a row but they were not 1 upon the other. We were only there for a year but it was a really great set-up. Since you don't want to be in the country and don't like living like a sardine, something like that might be a good option. I saw something similar on the MLS in one of the towns near us but it is very much a country setting. Something to look out for anyway.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Carol, I once rented a house with a really great set-up. Some people might call it semi-detached or 2 family, whatever. These units were 1 floor (plus basement) and were connected with the garages in the middle, then the kitchen and on the ends were the bedrooms.
That sounds great Annie. I haven't seen anything like that here. I was thinking about all of the houses I have lived in before this one, and they all had some kind of a buffer between bedrooms and neighbors. So it must be possible to find something here.

The trouble is you can't tell from an MLS listing's pictures what kind of buffer there might be. That's why I have ended up looking at so many places and not finding what I want. Patience.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,229,412 times
The distance I'm seeking from neighbors is auditory, not visual. I just want to be far enough from them that I don't hear their ordinary day to day sounds, and when they play their stereo hear it only faintly. I really don't like it when their stereo can be heard during quiet parts of my TV programs.

One way I've been determining what kind of buffer houses from the MLS have is to look up the address in Google Maps and zoom in the satellite view to maximum resolution. In many areas it's possible to see the placement of nearby neighbors and relative location of houses in the neighborhood, detail often good enough to see cars too. In areas that have it you can also use Google Street View.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
The distance I'm seeking from neighbors is auditory, not visual.
One way I've been determining what kind of buffer houses from the MLS have is to look up the address in Google Maps and zoom in the satellite view to maximum resolution. .
Auditory for me too. Houses you can see on Google maps, but condos and townhomes with shared walls have to be visited. Despite the fact that I am telling myself to be patient, I am not really. I was going to an open house yesterday--but there wasn't one. Apparently it got leased for a year yesterday afternoon. Well it was overpriced for the market anyway.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:04 PM

Option pending on this house--not mine. Oh well, it was probably too big and expensive for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate