Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 PM

64 posts, read 339,957 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed this thread. I've been getting frustrated trying to find a house, so it's nice to know that my few months of looking and I think 13 houses now is not forever like I thought.

I told my husband today I think we're just destined to live in our current house. My daughter said no it just means the house we're supposed to have we haven't found yet.

Hopefully, we'll find the house that someone else is like us and at least at one point wanted privacy and they'll be a person who took care of their house and won't think it's worth 4 times market value. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 08:15 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,182,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okhomebuyer View Post
I enjoyed this thread. I've been getting frustrated trying to find a house, so it's nice to know that my few months of looking and I think 13 houses now is not forever like I thought.

Oh sweety, if privacy in your surroundings is what you are seeking, your search has only just begun. I looked for 2 years but when we found what we wanted, it was far less than our budget could have afforded making it such a great deal.

May I suggest you conduct some of your search online. Get hooked up with a decent connection to the MLS and pre-screen EVERYthing and ANYthing in your price range - and a little beyond in both directions. When you find a picture that piques your interest, do some research: go to google earth and look at the house, the surrounding neighborhoods; go to maps.yahoo and "take a walk" on the street, look at the house from all directions; go to the town/city's tax maps - find out the taxes, the quick reference on the property - when it was last sold, for how much; how many owners, conditions assessment (not a substitute for an inspection); town's appraisal, survey of parcel, etc.

Don't give up; your daughter is right.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 PM

1,849 posts, read 3,959,121 times
As for the original question (even though CaroleF may be waiting or looking for a different house),

1800 square feet, 4 bedrooms, one person
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
Am I crazy even to consider it? It is the first house I have liked really, but for one person? What on earth would I do with all of these rooms?
You aren't crazy to have considered it! You might not use all of the rooms of a house this big, at first, but as time passes you may find uses for them.

If you find another house this big, you could use one of the bedrooms to sleep in, one for your office/computer room, and one for a guest bedroom. The 4th bedroom could be great for storage, or you could turn it into a big walkin closet, or maybe a hobby room, or an exercise room. It will be there if/when you need it, anyway.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:39 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,936,288 times
I live by myself in a 6 bedroom 3000+ sq feet house... what do I do with those rooms? Absolutely nothing... Its completely furnished but not a thing to do with those rooms right now... maybe something in the future but by then I will have a custom built 6000 sq foot house, but this time with only three bedrooms...

Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 PM

64 posts, read 339,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Oh sweety, if privacy in your surroundings is what you are seeking, your search has only just begun. I looked for 2 years but when we found what we wanted, it was far less than our budget could have afforded making it such a great deal.

May I suggest you conduct some of your search online. Get hooked up with a decent connection to the MLS and pre-screen EVERYthing and ANYthing in your price range - and a little beyond in both directions. When you find a picture that piques your interest, do some research: go to google earth and look at the house, the surrounding neighborhoods; go to maps.yahoo and "take a walk" on the street, look at the house from all directions; go to the town/city's tax maps - find out the taxes, the quick reference on the property - when it was last sold, for how much; how many owners, conditions assessment (not a substitute for an inspection); town's appraisal, survey of parcel, etc.

Don't give up; your daughter is right.
Just about all of my search is online, but looking at google maps isn't as easy in rural areas especially around here. I never have a house showed to me before I drive by and look at it.
Too many houses that look good on the outside though are full of warts on the inside.
There isn't anything new on the market that we plan on looking at right now.
So we'll wait until something new comes up.
I've just about come to the conclusion that if there is the house out there for us it'll happen and the two houses we thought were for us that didn't work out just means it wasn't meant to be and that's why it didn't happen.

I haven't looked at even one house online today, actually had a hard day at work which was kind of nice as I haven't had time to even think about a house today. My husband is all for taking a break for a couple of weeks and not even thinking about it for awhile. It's almost like the last few months it has consumed our lives and we need to take a step back for awhile.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,936,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okhomebuyer View Post
Just about all of my search is online, but looking at google maps isn't as easy in rural areas especially around here. I never have a house showed to me before I drive by and look at it.
Too many houses that look good on the outside though are full of warts on the inside.
There isn't anything new on the market that we plan on looking at right now.
So we'll wait until something new comes up.
I've just about come to the conclusion that if there is the house out there for us it'll happen and the two houses we thought were for us that didn't work out just means it wasn't meant to be and that's why it didn't happen.

I haven't looked at even one house online today, actually had a hard day at work which was kind of nice as I haven't had time to even think about a house today. My husband is all for taking a break for a couple of weeks and not even thinking about it for awhile. It's almost like the last few months it has consumed our lives and we need to take a step back for awhile.
How about you buy a piece of land and build your own... no sense in looking if there is a particular design you like...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate