Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,631,470 times

Advertisements

We have 2500 living area, 5 bedrooms and an office for 2 of us. Of course we had the kids before.
Just make sure it you can adjust the AC/Heat in separate areas of the house. You don't want to be heating or cooling an area you are not using.
Better to have too much room than not enough though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 04:52 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,486 times
Sure, I'd buy it, if you can turn down the heat in the rooms you don't use. Is the home updated energy efficiency-wise? If not it would be a money vacuum to heat all of that space if you don't need it.

I'd use one bedroom as a guest room, one as an exercise room, and one as a meditation room (I don't meditate but maybe I'd start ).

Old 02-22-2011, 09:49 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,029 times
The smallest house in our neighborhood is around 2600 sq ft and was built by a single retired woman.
She seems to find things to do with all the rooms

Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
If you can afford it then I would probably say yes, but realisticall thinking, Is there a reason you feel you need all that space? i would think in the golden years, less is easier to take care of.......

and I wouldnt worry about resale value, that is so played out already.....

Old 02-22-2011, 11:11 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,191 times
1800 sq ft is not very big. How is the house laid out? If you like to have guests over for parties or dinner, does it have a large enough kitchen, dining room, etc? If instead these areas are small (with 4 BRs, that's very likely), you may be more interested in a 3 BR with the same square footage.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:44 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
Last time I was single I bought was 2900 square feet. Only room I did not use was the formal livingroom. It was fine. Now I am in a larger house with DH, but next house I want to be about 2300 square feet.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
Am I crazy even to consider it? It is the first house I have liked really, but for one person? What on earth would I do with all of these rooms?
If you're crazy then I'm crazy too. I'm retired, single, no children, and selling my current house then plan on buying about 2,000 sq.ft., perhaps 4 bedrooms, 2 or 3 car garage, and hoping about 3/4 to 1.5 acres. Why? Because I'm damned sick and tired of living in a 1,300 sq.ft. house built back in the '50s. There's the master bedroom of course, and I want to have a guest bedroom so I can encourage friends and relatives to come visit. (I'm moving out of state.) I have tons of hobbies and want a hobby room so that I don't have to clean up when I'm in the midst of hobby projects. I still want to hook up and find a SO to share the house with, and presuming common interests she'll probably be into hobbies too, and I don't want to share my hobby room so I'll probably need a hobby room for her too. And then it would be nice to have an office... That's 4-5 bedrooms right there.

I intend to make sure that I can shut down the HVAC in rooms I'm not using. And for the most part rooms don't get dirty if they're closed up and not used. Gotta have good windows of course, so that heat or AC doesn't leak out and so that dust doesn't seep in.

I'm sick of this damned '50s house! Most of the bedrooms are about 10'x11', so small I bet many people have walk in closets that big. Same for the living room. Mine has been described as "large." I don't know what planet that is on!

People have different preferences. Some want to downsize, others like me are claustrophobic and want to upsize even when they have no reason for that other than just wanting to.

If the 2,000 sq.ft. house is going to make you happy then get it!

Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM

784 posts, read 3,119,675 times
Default Scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
If you're crazy then I'm crazy too. I'm retired, single, no children, and selling my current house then plan on buying about 2,000 sq.ft., perhaps 4 bedrooms, 2 or 3 car garage, and hoping about 3/4 to 1.5 acres. Why? Because I'm damned sick and tired of living in a 1,300 sq.ft. house built back in the '50s. T
If the 2,000 sq.ft. house is going to make you happy then get it!

I have similar feelings to you. I have been on my own for a long time, living in an 800 sq. feet apartment with noisy neighbors. When I moved in here my rent was about 50% of my take-home salary and I had no money for a down payment for a home. I remember when a $40,000 home was totally beyond my means. Now I earn more, and I have some inheritance money. I can buy something nice. But from 800 sq ft to 1800 is a huge jump and from not having to take care of any maintenance to a house is a scary step. I have no family here to help out. And yet I want a house. This one I am talking about is expensive for me. It is at the top of my range. So there are a lot of scary things about this possibility. Yet, I am feel closer to buying now than I have done in all the months I have been looking at other cheaper homes.

I am sure I could find uses for all the rooms: bedroom, meditation room , office, spare room. It was built in 1964. I doubt if the HVAC is zoned, so I probably would be heating and cooling the whole house. That is a concern. But interestingly it doesn't have a lot of big windows. For example, the Master bedroom only has one narrow side of the house window. I am ok with that because I don't need light in my bedroom. Dark is good there. So maybe I wouldn't lose a lot of energy because of the small window in that room. I don't remember the house well enough unfortunately to know about all the other rooms. I need to go again with my realtor. I saw it in an open house without her. She sees things that I don't.

It has a detached garage. Is that better than an attached one? I like that it uses some of the yard up, less gardening to do, but I don't like that I would have to walk from the garage to the house and get wet in the rain. Any thoughts on the merits of attached versus detached?

This house has been on the market for a long time. The price has been reduced already one time. I am stalling. Wait more time and hope it goes down even further. To not decide is also a decision. Hmm. Just go for it? Scared.

Not much likelihood of my remarrying in my opinion (no offers ), so I would be the person taking care of it for as long as I keep it, which could be anything from three to eight years--if I keep working till I am seventy--and beyond if I decide I want to continue to live in Houston.

I am fed up delaying!

Old 02-22-2011, 06:00 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
Look at some homes with attached garages. Sure makes bringing groceries inside easier...

Old 02-22-2011, 06:04 PM

784 posts, read 3,119,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Look at some homes with attached garages. Sure makes bringing groceries inside easier...
I have and I agree with you. Jut haven't found one I like so much as this one. But there is no rush. I am going to a couple of open house this coming weekend. Maybe I'll find the one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate