Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 AM

16 posts, read 145,125 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

Got some good tips reg. garage entry from this forum...thanks to all.

Do you guys know anything about sloped ceiling? Planning to buy a 2 story house, except the master bedroom all other bed rooms and family room (a big slop) has sloped ceiling. My husband says it's not that much good while you resell!!!??? The builder is K Hovanian and the place is in Allen TX.

Any idea? Kindly let me know.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 05:42 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,335,304 times
A sloped tray ceiling is an upgrade and is desireable at resale. It differs from a step tray ceiling in that the slope is a smooth transition...all four walls smoothly slope upwards to heighten the ceiling.

Also in a new home, you might find the rooms on the outer edges of the homes might slope a bit. I've never heard that this would detract from the value of a house. 2 of the bedrooms in my house have sloped ceilings (the lowest point is 9 feet and it slopes up to 10...only a small portion of the ceiling slopes). Actually, I find these 2 bedrooms to be more interesting that the one that doesn't slope (my fourth bedroom, the master, is a slope tray). The slope ceilings in these bedrooms remind me of old cape cod houses (not as dramatic of course, but it has a certain feel to it).

A ceiling that I do NOT like is a vaulted ceiling where none of the ceiling is flat....it all angles up to a ridge at the highest center of the house - I hate these, they remind me of houses from the 80's.

I'd be curious to hear what others have to say about it. I'm happy with mine - the bulk of the house has flat 10 foot ceilings, but those few rooms that have a slope to them have some character, I wouldn't change a thing about them .

Old 07-23-2007, 08:44 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,522,307 times
Default Sloped ceilings vs vaulted

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
A sloped tray ceiling is an upgrade and is desireable at resale. It differs from a step tray ceiling in that the slope is a smooth transition...all four walls smoothly slope upwards to heighten the ceiling.

Also in a new home, you might find the rooms on the outer edges of the homes might slope a bit. I've never heard that this would detract from the value of a house. 2 of the bedrooms in my house have sloped ceilings (the lowest point is 9 feet and it slopes up to 10...only a small portion of the ceiling slopes). Actually, I find these 2 bedrooms to be more interesting that the one that doesn't slope (my fourth bedroom, the master, is a slope tray). The slope ceilings in these bedrooms remind me of old cape cod houses (not as dramatic of course, but it has a certain feel to it).

A ceiling that I do NOT like is a vaulted ceiling where none of the ceiling is flat....it all angles up to a ridge at the highest center of the house - I hate these, they remind me of houses from the 80's.

I'd be curious to hear what others have to say about it. I'm happy with mine - the bulk of the house has flat 10 foot ceilings, but those few rooms that have a slope to them have some character, I wouldn't change a thing about them .
Well, guess you won't be interested in my house We built our home in the early '70'. Split foyer, 4 bedroom, 2 baths. Every single room on the 2nd floor has a vaulted ceiling. I do like them. Though they are a great pain when it comes to re-painting. A couple of other home builders in our area liked our plans so well that they built the same home with a few modifications.

If I would do it over again, I would go with the tray ceilings. They are attractive. Here in my area, tray ceilings are a plus.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:55 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,335,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Well, guess you won't be interested in my house We built our home in the early '70'.
Sorry ! I like a lot of 70's architecture actually, and if a home was built in the 70's true to style, then it's appropriate for the home.

But some homebuilders are still building vaulted ceilings today and they just don't look good in the new homes - too outdated looking (IMO).

Old 07-24-2007, 12:37 PM

16 posts, read 145,125 times
Thank you so much Riveree and Voyager for sharing your opinion.

Coming back to the sloped ceiling, the family room is 16' x 19'.4" with a 18' ceiling. In that, 60% is a flat ceiling and the rest is sloped. In all the bed rooms little slope in the edge. The only concern is in the family room slope.

Since we don't know about the slope and it's effect on the value of the house, i deceided to ask here.

Very curious to hear what others have to say about it.

Thanks again.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:50 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,565,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL_Allen View Post
Thank you so much Riveree and Voyager for sharing your opinion.

Coming back to the sloped ceiling, the family room is 16' x 19'.4" with a 18' ceiling. In that, 60% is a flat ceiling and the rest is sloped. In all the bed rooms little slope in the edge. The only concern is in the family room slope.

Since we don't know about the slope and it's effect on the value of the house, i deceided to ask here.

Very curious to hear what others have to say about it.

Thanks again.
I like sloped ceilings generally, but I concur with your husband on this one. If most of the ceiling is flat, then this slope sounds like poor design and the roof line is cutting off part of the ceiling rather than an intentional sloped ceiling. It reminds me of an attic room in the manner you describe it. That would not be attractive to me.

All the other rooms you say have small sloped portions all the way around, that is called a Cha****ed Ceiling. (I don't know what word the system thinks this is, but CHAM-FERED is what I am trying to type) Those are clearly intentional and like a tray (or trey) ceiling are very desirable in my area.

Last edited by johnrex62; 07-24-2007 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: System doesn't like words with m and f next to each other

Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 12,714 times
I want to paint my closet but the ceiling slopes in a rectangle on one side, should I paint the entire closet the same color or paint the walls and the rectangle side one color and the ceiling another color?

Old 04-02-2009, 11:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,439,217 times
Is this the place?

New Homes Texas, Allen, Collin County, TX by K. Hovnanian® Homes® @ Silhouette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate