Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:05 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeenback View Post
Don't let a Realtor or Bank get one or recommend one for you. Always hire your own...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Contrary to Greenbacks post most agents are good.
Brandon- Greenback never said any agent was "bad". And what constitutes a "trustworthy agent"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
As Brandon mentioned, ignore Greenbacks advice.
Am I the only one one who sees the irony here.
I would lean in Greenback's direction because you'll probably find someone who can be 100% impartial to the whole process. And doing the usual homework- reference list, calls to confirm, current certification(s), etc.

But, I have witnessed cases of favoritism with agents and inspectors. And I'm certainly not saying there was anything wrong- just a bit unethical in my book. Agents use or create a "list(s)" of inspectors that can "work favorably" to the agent's agenda- move the sell along to get it to close. And there are others that are "used" or are on a "list" that kill deals because they want to steer their clients away from a particular property.
They're still "good" agents, nothing unlawful, just a bit unethical.
Both of you were pretty quick to defend yourselves and the brethren- but not the profession, or so it read.

OP- the ASHI website would be a great place to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 02:47 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Brandon- Greenback never said any agent was "bad". And what constitutes a "trustworthy agent"?

Am I the only one one who sees the irony here.
I would lean in Greenback's direction because you'll probably find someone who can be 100% impartial to the whole process. And doing the usual homework- reference list, calls to confirm, current certification(s), etc.

But, I have witnessed cases of favoritism with agents and inspectors. And I'm certainly not saying there was anything wrong- just a bit unethical in my book. Agents use or create a "list(s)" of inspectors that can "work favorably" to the agent's agenda- move the sell along to get it to close. And there are others that are "used" or are on a "list" that kill deals because they want to steer their clients away from a particular property.
They're still "good" agents, nothing unlawful, just a bit unethical.
Both of you were pretty quick to defend yourselves and the brethren- but not the profession, or so it read.

OP- the ASHI website would be a great place to start.
Trustworthy would be the agent who puts the clients needs ahead of their own. Good agents will typically refer the "deal killer" inspector that is very thorough. If the client moves in and finds a bunch of things missed it makes me look bad if I recommended that inspector. If the inspector finds a bunch of things and the deal doesn't work out the client is usually extremely grateful we protected their interests. Of course you notice prefaced my statement with good agents will recommend good inspectors. Middling agents don't usually refer anyone and if they do it's hit or miss and bad agents refer the bad inspectors.

Secondly, lets talk about the inspector. If they miss things or don't record things they could be liable for it. Most inspectors do a good report so that nothing comes back on them.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:44 PM

43,294 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Talking I know a great inspector or two. Let me give you their names and disqualify them all for you!

The whole urban legend "Of course, you have only seen one inspection in the last 20 years, but don't trust your agent, who has seen a great many inspections by various inspectors, or the agent's professional and skilled recommended Inspector because someone you never met on line knows better" thingie just cracks me up.

When a buyer gets into Angieslist or the BBB or the laundromat bulletin board and picks a known loser or crook rather than one of the pro's I would recommend, what do I do?

Do I inform them the guy is a loser, even though they buy into the urban legend dullness of wit that I would only recommend a loser?

Do I just cruise merrily through their knuckle-dragger's inspection, and try to negotiate repairs from a report that says nothing of value, is indecipherable, or seems to be from a completely different planet?

There are some real clowns out there, some great inspectors, and some pretty good guys, and any of them can create a network of great references. They all have mommas and aunts who love them.

None of that is relevant to the attitude that the client MUST screw themselves rather than use a pro recommended by their fiduciary.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:04 PM

290 posts, read 573,305 times
http://www.ashi.org/

http://www.nahi.org/

These are professional Home Inspector Websites. Go straight to the source. These associations do a better job than anyone when making recommendations to Individuals.

You are allowed to hire your own Home Inspector. It is widely known that Home Inspectors have complained about pressure, themselves. I would not be surprised if Commissioned driven Individuals will be prohibited from selecting and retaining Home Inspectors sometime in the future.

It can be good practice for Individual home owners and buyers to select and retain their own Home Inspector.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:19 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If the client moves in and finds a bunch of things missed it makes me look bad if I recommended that inspector. (I wholeheartedly agree) If the inspector finds a bunch of things and the deal doesn't work out the client is usually extremely grateful we protected their interests. (you chose your words quite well)
Secondly, lets talk about the inspector. If they miss things or don't record things they could be liable for it. (Generally, their liability is the cost of the inspection- if there were some type of legal action) Most inspectors do a good report so that nothing comes back on them.
Their real concern is the next job. If they repeatedly miss what becomes major issues, they won't be called again. And the fact that there is little if any regulation within states- and what there is varies widely from state to state.
It kindda sums up this way:
Real Estate Agents hate Home Inspectors
Home Sellers Hate Home Inspectors
Buyers Hate Home Inspectors when they miss something hidden inside a wall.

*A good inspector will have no fear of killing a deal and he should immediately report any agents that accuses him of such.

My comments were certainly not to erase any professional advice you or any agent would give to a client. It boils down to a matter of trust- not just the agent but, the whole buying process. I just happen to have knowledge of what I'd call, pandering.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:24 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,870 times
moonsky, I have to agree with greenback and klegebldr, hire your own independent inspector, many things may be overlooked in order not to kill the deal with a realtor/agent affiliated inspector, thus they may turn a blind eye to minor things and those can add up and/or things that you don't even think of or give a second thought to right now can be a major problem later on.

On the liability issue, inspectors have a clause in their service contract, they will not assume liability, worse case for them is that they have to refund you the fee you paid for their service.

@greenback, thanks for turning off the green

Old 03-08-2011, 04:49 PM

43,294 posts, read 77,129,965 times
1. I don't "hate" anybody. It is a cheap and overwrought emotion indulged in weakness and narcissism.

2. I have fired (i.e., never called them again) a couple of inspectors for copping attitude when I asked procedural questions or pointed out minor items they missed, or for being sloppy with my valued clients' inspection reports, rendering their findings unusable.
I'd fire an inspector who wrote up a loose toilet seat nut in a 16 year old house instead of inspecting. Stupid senseless write ups derail more deals than material findings do...
I'd fire an inspector who asked for the entry code and wasn't an MLS member, "Because everyone else gives it to him." That is a crook.
No one is perfect, but maturity and integrity are reasonable expectations.

3. I am far more qualified to recommend an inspector than some of my counterparts are, or than most of my clients are to find one. You should see the bozos some of them bring out.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 03-08-2011 at 05:25 PM..

Old 03-08-2011, 04:57 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
...You should see the bozos some of them bring out.
Or the clients that insist on having their contractor relative/friend do it because it's "free". They have no formal system for inspecting the home, just walk around, and give an off the cuff review. Penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:59 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
moonsky, I have to agree with greenback and klegebldr, hire your own independent inspector,

@greenback, thanks for turning off the green
I always ask someone if they have an inspector they would like to use and 97% of the time they will ask me to recommend someone. I could say no but I want a good inspector. How many times have you picked a name from a list, phone book, at random etc and they turn out to be a loser ?

Just because an inspector belongs to a group does not make them good or bad. Personal recommendations from friends, family or other professionals is the best way to find an inspector. I fall into the other professional category.

I agree, the green ink is hard on the eyes. Now if he would just stop the bold print.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:25 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I always ask someone if they have an inspector they would like to use and 97% of the time they will ask me to recommend someone. I could say no but I want a good inspector. How many times have you picked a name from a list, phone book, at random etc and they turn out to be a loser ?

Just because an inspector belongs to a group does not make them good or bad. Personal recommendations from friends, family or other professionals is the best way to find an inspector. I fall into the other professional category.

I agree, the green ink is hard on the eyes. Now if he would just stop the bold print.
There's never any guarantee either way, however, references and affiliations with professional organizations is a good starting point.

Personally, I would not hire an inspector that is recommended by a realtor/agent involved in the transaction, conflict of interest per se.

lol@ the bold print comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate