U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 09:16 PM

345 posts, read 1,490,686 times

Advertisements

we are nearing the new school year and still haven't sold our home. we are thinking we should take the house off the market at the end of July since we won't have enough time to sell/close by the start of school for our children. I don't want to have to pull them out of school and then start a new school in another town...

have any of you been through this?? what was the quickest you ever closed on a house??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:35 PM

15,756 posts, read 34,943,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoffive View Post
we are nearing the new school year and still haven't sold our home. we are thinking we should take the house off the market at the end of July since we won't have enough time to sell/close by the start of school for our children. I don't want to have to pull them out of school and then start a new school in another town...

have any of you been through this?? what was the quickest you ever closed on a house??
Yes you do..after having done it three times I would never move children in the summer. Always during the school year. Ohh if you can schedule the whole thing so they move two days before schools starts great...we were never that lucky.

And after our own experience and moving a huge number of families between upstate NY and Los Angeles I would opt for any time in the school year rather than in the summer. I would also opt for early in the school year but that is secondary.

Kids adopt best if they jump right in. Don't let them mope about how nice the old home was for a month or two before they get back in the swing. Throw them into the middle. Works very well most of the time.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:56 AM

did the children adjust okay?? was it extremely stressful??

Old 07-25-2007, 07:07 AM

612 posts, read 2,611,438 times
On our last family home we closed in 13 days from initial offer to getting the keys. You still have time, good luck!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:36 AM

wow, that is encouraging!! thanks!!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:12 AM

15,756 posts, read 34,943,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoffive View Post
did the children adjust okay?? was it extremely stressful??
The worst move was the one where we moved at the end of the school year. I actually moved in March and my wife and kids stayed behind until June.

That was an error. The kids moped and bitched all summer about whata lousey place and they hated it and they had nothing to do. We swore to never do that again and never did. Pull them up in the middle and stick them in the new schoo. Makes life miuch more pleasant.

In the west closing an escrow is limited almost entirely by inspections and due diligence periods that can be waived. You can close in a week if you wish. We recently did the whole formal bit with a mortgage in 12 days.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:15 PM

thanks for the feedback, i am feeling better !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate