Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:05 PM

766 posts, read 1,395,010 times

Advertisements

How many times is the standard for a person/couple to look at the same house, before they finally make the decision to buy?

I've had 2 people tell me, that when they found "the one" they only looked at it during the original "showing". They never asked to go back and look at it again.

and once my home sells, I will be looking for another house. Personally.... I can't imagine buying a home with just one look. Granted, I will be a cash buyer, so no bank loan stuff to have to deal with.

How many times would it be considered reasonable for ME to see somebody's house without becoming a pest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 07:10 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
I typically visit 2x before the offer .... unless its a vacant foreclosure. then I visit many times more ...and then again for inspection.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:13 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
I visited three times with our current home during the long day. Second time was for a more thorough looking. Third time, we meet a remodeler at the house to get some quotes on the needed remodeling before we made an offer since that impacted what we would offer or not.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:30 PM

766 posts, read 1,395,010 times
Glad I asked! I don't want to be a pest to somebody else, nor do I want someone pestering me. But buying a house is a HUGE chunk of money.

So 2-3 times is considered OK. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:03 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,776 times
Sometimes you may not have the second chance. some good houses go pretty fast. and it you are an experienced buyer (had researched on the market, already saw a few houses at least) you will be able to figure out "the hot deal" where you should offer fast. It it is an "oK" house but you are not crazy about it and there is not multiple bids - go look as many times as you like.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,340 times
twice is good, and still subject to appraisal/inspection. In a rare hot/hot market, you have to make your move. Don't sweat the small stuff/focus on the location/schools/foundation.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:18 AM

64 posts, read 195,533 times
First house I bought, I saw it 2x (in the same day) and then made my offer that day, I think. Second house I bought with my DH, we just saw it 1x before making an offer (a day or two later).

Next time, I think I'll at sleep on it and ask to see it again another day. I don't regret my first two purchases at all though.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:34 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
With our last purchse we had a "rule" and said we wouldn't make an offer without seeing a house at least twice. Some of that came from the fact that we probably rushed our decision a bit on our first house.

I will say it certainly wasn't a hot market so we were never concerned about losing the house. And there was so much inventory even if we did it was no big deal. I'm sure we drove our RE agent nuts. We probably did about 10 second visits.

The funny part was the house we bought we only saw once. The sellers had a contingent contract to purchase another house that they had to remove the contingency from the day we went to see the house. So it was either make an offer that day or they were going to cancel their other contract and take their house off the market for some time.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
Glad I asked! I don't want to be a pest to somebody else, nor do I want someone pestering me. But buying a house is a HUGE chunk of money.

So 2-3 times is considered OK. Thanks.
When I sold my last house the buyers looked at it 4 times, I think, before making an offer...and many other times after the home was under contract. Never bothered me.

The house I'm living in now was vacant when I bought it so I went to see it half a dozen times before putting in an offer and probably a dozen times afterwards. It wasn't like I was putting the owners out, the front door had a lockbox on it. No biggie.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,879 times
I viewed my present house for the first time, then went directly from there to see a second house which was AWFUL beyond belief. While standing in that dump of a second house, I realized that this house (my present house) was truly the house of my dreams. I submitted an offer that night, the night that I first saw it.

I looked at it a couple of other times during the negotiations, and then saw it again while it was being inspected and so forth.

I have lived here 9 years and it really is and was the house of my dreams. I am very picky but it has been a perfect home for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate