Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times

Advertisements

Everybody still thinks that the "typical" buyer is going to be a family with school-age kids when in fact this represents maybe 20%-25% of buyers. Sure, in many tract "family-friendly" communities they will make up the bulk but overall that is not the largest demographic. If it is unusual to only have 2 bedrooms in the area then it might take a little bit longer to sell, but if it is an area of many 2 brs then the better house wins, and that would be the one with two baths already in there, assuming all other things are equal- especially s.f.- like a 3 br 1200 sf house- that is ridiculous.

I hate most typical homes that are set up for families- 1 huge br/ba, 3 tiny brs and bath- because I will never have kids- so I'll just pass up that house, just like the majority of buyers that don't have school-age kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 11:08 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
I'd rather have the extra living space over the extra bathroom. A bathroom is not living space.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,778 times
It's a toss up, but likely the 2 bed/bath would be the better choice unless the 3 bed has a spot to at least put in a half bath. For many a master bath is a must have. I've seen a few very nice, mostly older homes that are the 3 bed,1 bath combos that have sat forever or sold low as the one bath was a dealbreaker.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:20 PM

85 posts, read 259,286 times
I'd prefer having at least 2 bathrooms (and ideally, at least one toilet per floor). What happens if one bathroom goes out of service? The second bathroom is probably the master bathroom, which is very desirable. Sometimes, 2br 2ba used to be 3br 2ba with the room converted to an extra, so you can just as easily convert it back. Adding a BR is easier than a bathroom because of plumbing issues.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:54 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,121 times
it really depends on what is normal for your area. in my area 3br-4br is the norm. I just sold my 2br 1 bath house, it was nicer than 90% of what was on the market in my town. it took a long time and we took a hit on it. if it were a 3br 1 bath it would have sold for significantly more and quickly. if I had the another bath it might have helped slightly. I can count on one hand the number of 2br houses that sold in my town in the past 2 years. probably 25% of the inventory sold were 3br 1 baths.

dispite that my house was bigger than some, and most people will eventually want to expand some fo these houses anyway, they can't wrap their head around buying a 2br.

I would say it ultimately depends on the layout etc. in most cases adding a br or a bath is not easy. just think about where are you really going to put a br, on the back? how are you going to get to it? through the ktichen? living room? the hallway already probably dead ends into a set of Brs.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:39 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
I would go for the 3 bed/1 bath. Where I am from a 3 bed/1 bath house was the norm. Years later we wanted to upgrade our location but only could afford a 2 bed/2 bath home. We bought it. At that time it was just hubby and me, the second bath really wasn't a big deal. We immediately started to miss having a 3rd bedroom. We made an office in the basement but it was very chilly in the winter. When we sold the property it took a while because most people wanted 3 bedrooms especially if they had children which was most of our buyers.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:41 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
It's easier to add a bathroom than it is to add a bedroom.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:48 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,789,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarewellLA View Post
All things equal, which would be the most attractive property to purchase in terms of resale value for a single family residence?

I am looking for a home now and I see various properties that are w/in my budget. The homes are usually 3 bedroom with 1 bath or a 2 bedroom with 2 baths.

My initial preference was to find a 2 bdrm, 2 bath but that may be shortsighted on my part. I am single, no kids so both are actually fine with me but which is preferable overall?
Bathrooms can be a huge bottleneck. Even if you're single with no kids, if you have a lot of people over it can get a little bad. Not to mention, you might have a steady stream of people going in and out of the main bedroom to get to the one bathroom depending on the way the place is laid out.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,393,765 times
I don't think I have talked to anyone lately who would actually prefer a 3/1. Having only 1 bathroom is a very definite negative in sales and rentals. I would either buy the 2/2 or plan to use one of the bedrooms as a bath. If 2 are side by side, you could make 1 bedroom a little larger and then add a nice bathroom and maybe large closet to make a nice little master suite.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,980,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't know if I agree with this. Adding on a bathroom seems like you are talking about putting an addition on your house. Adding a bathroom is most likely using existing space.
What if there's no existing space to take over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's easier to add a bathroom than it is to add a bedroom.
... provided the house isn't built on slab.

FWIW, those were the basis of my previous comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate