Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 06:35 PM

21 posts, read 70,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'd go with the 2/2 before the 3/1. If you ever need to get a roommate or rent the space out, who wants to share a bhtrm???
I'm sorta in this dilemma right now. My bf and I are thinking of moving into a rental house (in a 1 bdrm/1 bthrm now) and we're thinking of having our (reliable) friend move in with us to help cover the cost. But, this one place we looked at is a 3 bdrm/1 bthrm house, and right away I didn't like the idea of ONLY having 1 bthrm when there's another roomie sharing the place. Seems too many ppl for only 1 bthrm. Dunno why houses are built like that. What if ppl have kids? 1 bthrm's not enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:36 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,747,038 times
I'd prefer the 2/2.

I'm single, no kids, and don't need 3bedrooms. It would be nice to have a combination guest room/office, though. And that 2nd bath so that I don't have to share when I have guests.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:33 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,739,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarewellLA View Post
All things equal, which would be the most attractive property to purchase in terms of resale value for a single family residence?

I am looking for a home now and I see various properties that are w/in my budget. The homes are usually 3 bedroom with 1 bath or a 2 bedroom with 2 baths.

My initial preference was to find a 2 bdrm, 2 bath but that may be shortsighted on my part. I am single, no kids so both are actually fine with me but which is preferable overall?
More bathrooms to me would be preferable. One for my own use and another for everyone else. If you ever have someone over it is better not to have to wait on someone else.

Then again, we have 5 bathrooms and (2) 1/2 baths.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,126,955 times
Think single persons and empty nesters. 2/2 would be just right. A lot of apartments and condos are set up as 2/2.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:54 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,084,878 times
I do think a 3/1 is better since you can almost always use some closet space for at least an additional 1/2 bath later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
I'm sorta in this dilemma right now. My bf and I are thinking of moving into a rental house (in a 1 bdrm/1 bthrm now) and we're thinking of having our (reliable) friend move in with us to help cover the cost. But, this one place we looked at is a 3 bdrm/1 bthrm house, and right away I didn't like the idea of ONLY having 1 bthrm when there's another roomie sharing the place. Seems too many ppl for only 1 bthrm. Dunno why houses are built like that. What if ppl have kids? 1 bthrm's not enough!
In New England, a ridiculous number of families grew up in 3 bed/1 bath houses without much trouble.

I also had an apartment for 2 years with 5 or 6 people and 1 bath. It actually worked out pretty well, but we were all clean people.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,839,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Provided they're both similar in price, condition and square footage, I'd go with the 2/2.

Yeah, they both have their drawbacks attracting families when it comes to resale time, but my reasoning is that it's cheaper to add on a bedroom than to add a bathroom.
I agree with Narfcake. Not only would it be cheaper to add a bedroom than a bath, but less trouble as well. With a bedroom there would be no dealing with water lines, and such. And if there were never a need to add a bedroom, then there would be a separate bath for each bedroom. That would be a selling point for us.

Old 12-12-2020, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,214 times
Default 3bed-1bath vs 2bed-2bath

I bought a house which is 3 bed, 1 bath, the rooms are too small so I am thinking of combing 3 bedrooms and make a master bedroom and master bathroom and a walk in closet, and a bigger second bedroom, so the house becomes a 2 bedroom and 2 bath, then I started thinking to ask which will sell better if I decide to sell.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:16 PM

30,654 posts, read 18,263,167 times
If I can add another bathroom, I'll take the 3 bedroom 1 bathroom. But sometimes this isn't possible. As an example, my condo building in Hawaii does not let you add extra bathrooms to your units, and every unit (the studios, one bedrooms, and two bedrooms) all have one bathroom. In those cases where adding another bathroom isn't possible (whether due to association rules or just do to size limitations), I'll take the 2 bedroom 2 bathroom.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:37 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,917,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazoola View Post
I bought a house which is 3 bed, 1 bath, the rooms are too small so I am thinking of combing 3 bedrooms and make a master bedroom and master bathroom and a walk in closet, and a bigger second bedroom, so the house becomes a 2 bedroom and 2 bath, then I started thinking to ask which will sell better if I decide to sell.
Well, both ways are not exactly desirable. A lot depends on how long you are going to keep the house, how much money you want to put into it, what the rooms are used for now, what they'll be used for in the future.

Also consider that it could take many years before you can recover the cost of the renovations when you sell.

See where it says "manage attachments" below the posting space? If you want to draw a floor plan with dimensions of all the rooms and upload it from your computer, you might get helpful comments.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:53 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,797,853 times
My vote's for the 2BD/2BA. I'm single and have no kids and don't need the third bedroom. Anything less than two full baths is a dealbreaker - depending on the area you live in, the permit process for adding an extra bath (or bedroom for that matter) ranges from excruciatingly painful to virtually impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate