Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:36 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of amateur pricing advice being given here that does not reflect the reality of most sellers and how they price their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 03:53 PM

169 posts, read 698,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
Are you working with a Realtor? Have they pulled actual comps for this neighborhood? How do you know they are overpriced?
Yes, we looked at the comp for recently properties with similar criteria(sqft, lot, bds/bds, yrs bulit)sold in that area. The info was prepared by our agent.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:59 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There is a lot of amateur pricing advice being given here that does not reflect the reality of most sellers and how they price their homes.
Care to expand on that?

Old 03-23-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
Yes, we looked at the comp for recently properties with similar criteria(sqft, lot, bds/bds, yrs bulit)sold in that area. The info was prepared by our agent.
Well, if they don't want to sell for what you and your agent have determined to be a fair market price, then don't buy the house.

You can't really send thugs over to shake them down and make them sell for less.

I know it's frustrating. I've been there m'self.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
Yep, if they really are overpriced, then one of two things will probably happen. Either the house will still be on the market in a while, and you can make another offer when they lower the price, or they can't afford to sell at market value, and the house will eventually get pulled off the market or get foreclosed on (depending on whether they are making the payment or not).

If they are closer to market value than you think, someone will make a closer offer. Then either the house will appraise, or the buyer may come up with cash for the difference. If neither of those things happen, then refer back to my first paragraph.

As meh_whatever said, you can't force them to sell for a lower price than they want to sell for. All you can do is what you did, make an offer. The only better thing I can think of to try would be to make an offer and include multiple good, recent comps showing why you offered that price. Short of that, you either wait and see, or keep looking.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:32 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,413 times
Or even better then the recent sales comps send them the list of the houses that were similarly overpriced and have been sitting on the market for years ))))

Old 03-23-2011, 06:37 PM

169 posts, read 698,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Or even better then the recent sales comps send them the list of the houses that were similarly overpriced and have been sitting on the market for years ))))
I wonder whether they listed the price based on other houses in the same area. Some of those houses have been on the market for two years+.

Is there any benefit in letting the house sitting on the market a month or longer before making an offer?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:12 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You can't really send thugs over to shake them down and make them sell for less.
Not that it hasn't happened...

Old 03-24-2011, 05:59 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
I wonder whether they listed the price based on other houses in the same area. Some of those houses have been on the market for two years+.

Is there any benefit in letting the house sitting on the market a month or longer before making an offer?
Honestly I wonder why agents agree to take these listings - the ones that've gone from agent to agent every six months as listings expire. Clearly they're not going to sell unless something changes, or something completely unforeseen and unlikely happens.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Honestly I wonder why agents agree to take these listings - the ones that've gone from agent to agent every six months as listings expire. Clearly they're not going to sell unless something changes, or something completely unforeseen and unlikely happens.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate