Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:35 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
They are obviously having a hard time making a decision.

Next time they visit, have another couple (actors) come by to look at the house the same time and ask them to gush over what a good deal this is and how they can see their furniture here and there.

Maybe that will get them off the fence.
I know you are just kidding BUT before the seller starts playing games...be careful. Sometimes they backfire!

Some buyers are just nervous and if they are pushed, they could easily back off instead of bringing an offer!

I had buyers that couldn't make a decision between 2 homes so we went back to see both 2 times. Listing agent from 1 home called to tell me that they had someone very interested and would probably make an offer so if my buyers were interested, they better hurry.

My buyers were torn between the two homes. Once listing agent told us there was a "possibility" of another offer, they decided they didn't want to be in a bidding war so they purchased the 2nd house.

Listing agent from first house calls the next day to ask if we were going to bring an offer and to tell us the first offer never materialized.

By that time, we were under contract with 2nd house and buyers were happy.

So...I say to the seller...hang in there even though for those of us that are control freaks (me, me, me), being a seller is tough! But...forget the games. Honesty seems to work better in Real Estate.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
As others have said, depending upon the property, the buyers, what they have in mind, it may reasonably take five visits with at least one expert to get clear on what they need to offer. Three looks, one lengthy with coveralls, basic tools, a measuring tape, flashlight, notepad and camera is my bare minimum because we buy fixers. An older or vintage home or a home that a buyer wishes to dramatically remodel will reasonably require several visits more than the average newish tract home buyer.

These people are interested. Bringing in a contractor to consult means that they likely have money in it already. Give them the space and time they need to make their decision.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
number of times doesn't mean they are any more serious than any other buyer. I had a realtor actually looking for herself. She came with her family 3 times. finnally gave a low offer. basically she was trying to convince her husband that our house was the right one for them, he thought it was too small.

you may find that they'll come in low b/c the contractor sold them on doing some improvements for $$$$$ and they want a discount for that. you may find that they come in reasonable clsoe to asking b/c they want the house. don't scare them away, but don't get your hopes up.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:25 PM

391 posts, read 1,475,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
They are obviously having a hard time making a decision.

Next time they visit, have another couple (actors) come by to look at the house the same time and ask them to gush over what a good deal this is and how they can see their furniture here and there.

Maybe that will get them off the fence.

funny you say this. we have another showing today (1st time through), and my realtor sheduled it round about the same time as these people will be coming through for their 5th look. hopefully their paths will cross.

thanks for all of the other replies, i'll keep you updated.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:46 PM

860 posts, read 2,715,390 times
My home that finally sold after nearly a year was also probably used to sell a more pricey home by realtors. Before we dropped the price, we got PLENTY of showings and all positive feedback, except for unfinished basement and 2 not 3 car garage. Which of course was IN the listing info. No surprises, but they lookie lood any-hoo. We were totally befuddled until we switched realtors and he explained to us how the realtors were using our home to bump up the buyers to another price point to get "more". We did have to drop our price to less than our build cost 5 years ago.
However, our buyers did return 3 times and did several inspections after making an offer. And then they were still picky,asking for a back up sump pump(an upgrade not an inspection issue)and tried to ask for our bedroom furniture(talked out of it by savvy realtors)again after the offer was signed.. So your looky loos may be very serious and could make an offer, but they may also be wishy washy and picky after the signed offer so be prepared.
In the end though, all was negotiated so that both parties were satisfied and it was well worth it to sell our home. Be grateful that you have showings! And hopefully it will all be worth it for you.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:22 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
When we left Texas, we had at least 3 couples view our house 4 times. We had just done updates and had a decorator do paint and window treatments. I think the people were just looking at the decor to get ideas for the home they bought. The eventual buyers only saw the home 1 time before making an offer.

Small world story, we moved from a small suburb in Dallas area to a small suburb in the Sacramento area. The people that bought our house were moving to Texas from the the town we moved to. Weird.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:51 AM

840 posts, read 2,445,104 times
i had people come 2x, make offer, went back and forth 3x on price, agree on price, come 3 more x with various family, saying baby will go in this room, and now not a word for 1 week

Old 04-12-2011, 11:59 AM

391 posts, read 1,475,892 times
just an update. still no offer from them after 5th showing. our realtor says they like our house, but really want a pool (which we don't have, but have plenty of room for)

we may have another interested party, we'll see.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:13 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I often find, that when showings start coming fast and furious, an offer isn't too far behind! And...once one buyer seems interested, another comes along faster. Sounds crazy but I find it to be true.

For example...had a home listed for MONTHS (almost 9...could have had a baby in less time!). It showed off and on, about twice a month. We dropped the price, started getting 2 showings a week, got one lowball offer (even buyer said it would be lowball so agent let us know in advance). While negotiating with buyer #1, buyer #2 came back for 2nd showing and agent let us know he was interested. I let agent know we were negotiating offer. Buyer #2 came back with full price offer (remember, we had just reduced price) and we took it!

Hang in there...sounds like your offer should be coming any minute now!

Vicki

Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
my home is currently for sale, and i have potential buyers who will be looking at the house for the 5th time tomorrow (without having made an offer) The 4th showing was yesterday, they brought a contractor with them, and they were in the house for almost 2 hrs. i believe tomorrow they will be bringing a family member. from my perspective, this seems completely unreasonable, but i'd like to hear from realtors to see how common of an occurence this is. my realtor is just brushing it off as though it's not a big deal, let them come 20 times if they need to.

at what point should we tell them make an offer, or move on? i've purchased 3 homes in the past, and each time made an offer the same day as viewing the home for the second time.

thanks in advance.

In a buyers market you do what you've got to do to sell you home PERIOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate