U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 AM
 
142 posts, read 487,600 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

ok thanks everyone! Will do!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2011, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Boise, ID
8,047 posts, read 25,893,607 times
Reputation: 9392
The good builders who actually tell the truth will even tell their clients to get an inspection on the house they built. They know that they aren't there 24/7 watching their subcontractors. My parents are builders themselves, and had an inspection done on their own house that they built. It is the smart move.

Even if you are buying a house as-is, you should get an inspection done, to know what "as-is" is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2011, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
9,472 posts, read 18,073,899 times
Reputation: 11233
As the saying goes: "Trust but verify."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
12,396 posts, read 29,804,099 times
Reputation: 9291
Some of my clients will get the home inspected at the 11 month mark. The builder is still responsbile for repairs up to 1 year. I prefer it be done before closing but some of my first time buyers don't have the $250 to $350 to get that inspection.

From what my inspector tells me, he hasn't run into any issues with buyers getting their home inspection done at 11 months and hasn't had any problems with builders not agreeing to the repairs.

I have not had any builders in this area discourage home inspections UNTIL lately. In the last two months, I sold 2 homes built by a well known company that I like and they are very discouraging of home inspections, although they do it in a somewhat subtle way. Makes me feel that we should definitely get the homes inspected before closing.

Vicki
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2011, 10:07 AM
 
1,367 posts, read 4,859,809 times
Reputation: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Some of my clients will get the home inspected at the 11 month mark. The builder is still responsbile for repairs up to 1 year. I prefer it be done before closing but some of my first time buyers don't have the $250 to $350 to get that inspection.

From what my inspector tells me, he hasn't run into any issues with buyers getting their home inspection done at 11 months and hasn't had any problems with builders not agreeing to the repairs.

I have not had any builders in this area discourage home inspections UNTIL lately. In the last two months, I sold 2 homes built by a well known company that I like and they are very discouraging of home inspections, although they do it in a somewhat subtle way. Makes me feel that we should definitely get the homes inspected before closing.

Vicki
I'm not sure what new construction buyer shouldn't have $250 to spend on the most important purchase he's going to make in a while, but I digress....


has anyone asked an inspector about what you should do?

if its a true home inspection, its not worth much to do before you move in. home inspections are meant to be done when systems are not only installed, but have been functioning. its difficult to spot a lot of probelms behind closed walls when systems haven't been in full use, at least that is what I've heard.

I'd almost say you should have an inspection when everything is run, but the walls aren't up yet, then another one after you've lived there for a few months.

I don't get too much value from an inspector testing a few outlets and turning on some faucets to tell me they work
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2011, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Holly Springs
3,959 posts, read 10,047,109 times
Reputation: 3171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I don't get too much value from an inspector testing a few outlets and turning on some faucets to tell me they work
Just as an fyi: It is just a little more involved than testing a few outlets and turning on some faucets. Some of the worst houses I have ever inspected have been new construction. In fact, i recall one by a prominent national builder that had a big sign outside the house that said " all houses should be built like this one"!. The house had over 100 issues on my report. It does not matter if systems have been in operation for 5 minites or 5 years, I will find the problems if they exist.
I do agree that having a framing inspection before the walls/insulation are installed is a great idea.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Status: "WE Can Do Better!" (set 26 days ago)
 
Location: Cary, NC
37,442 posts, read 64,899,562 times
Reputation: 37669
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Just as an fyi: It is just a little more involved than testing a few outlets and turning on some faucets. Some of the worst houses I have ever inspected have been new construction. In fact, i recall one by a prominent national builder that had a big sign outside the house that said " all houses should be built like this one"!. The house had over 100 issues on my report. It does not matter if systems have been in operation for 5 minites or 5 years, I will find the problems if they exist.
I do agree that having a framing inspection before the walls/insulation are installed is a great idea.
Probably the most valuable inspection!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2011, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,588 posts, read 38,132,631 times
Reputation: 13371
I'm not a realtor - I'm a lawyer. I've seen so many construction defect cases. If you have to beg, borrow, or steal the money, do it. You never want to close on anything without an inspection!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2011, 05:08 AM
 
82 posts, read 270,090 times
Reputation: 71
Why on earth would you ever consider not having one done? Surely it's not the $400-500. What a small price to pay for peace of mind.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top