Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:22 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times

Advertisements

They probably like it because its newer and maybe slightly bigger than an older home. I don't like to share so this type of property never interested me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 11:56 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
The only thing you share is a wall.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:15 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandasullivan View Post
Many of our areas have side-by-side townhomes which effectively is the same thing. Upside - not a condominium so you own your land. They hold their value a bit better because you don't have 'dues' to pay and a board to satisfy. The only downside is hoping your direct neighbor takes care of their 1/2 of the building and landscape - oh yeah - we have that problem with houses too! We own one of these townhomes and I gotta tell - it's a great rental property - less maintenance for us landlords and the tenant loves it! Not a bad choice in my book.
Your last point is an important one. My neighors who are foreign not sure if hty are lazy or just dont understand landscaping but put asphalt in their flower beds and all throughout hwere landscaping woudl normally be.

I noticed and thoguht it looked wierd but assumed it was some kind of lava rock. Upon closer inspection I noticed its asphalt lol. Stupid stupid stupid however the only positive thing woudl be no weeds right?

Maybe if you pacekd the asphalt in however when its loosely thrown weeds grow right up through the asphalt and now they cant even pull them at the base not that they woud anyway.

Also, I see some people redo siding or roof but dont coordinate with the neighbor so you have a green house that immediately cuts off and goes to yellow or brown or blue lol

Old 04-15-2011, 03:58 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The only thing you share is a wall.
And a foundation, and a roof, and the siding

Old 04-15-2011, 05:17 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
This must be another of those "different areas, different names" thing. In my area it is legally not possible to buy 1 half of a duplex. Duplexes are two units on one lot, and thus, by definition, always owned by the same person.

I'm guessing you are referring to what, in my area, is called a townhouse. It looks like a duplex, but has different building codes, and each unit is on its own lot. I live in one of these myself, and because of the way mine is built, it is just like living in a normal single family house (including noise level), except one side of the house has no windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
I suspect it is what I would refer to as a "twin" or "gemini" home (that's how we designate them in our MLS).

From Wikipedia:
Specific to the Phoenix area:
What is a Duplex Gemini or Twin Home - Definition of Duplex Gemini or Twin Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I live in a semi-detached single-family home. It's no different from living in a fully detached single-family home. I have my own yard, my own driveway, my own porch (my own real estate tax bills ...). I simply share a firewall with the house next door.
Quote:

Not at all, Lacerta. Ohiogirl said it correctly, the firewall is more than just the living areas of the house, it extends from basement through to roof. The words are confusing. In NY a 1/2 duplex for sale is also referred to as a semi-detached house. Sometimes they are single family, and sometimes 2 family. Neither the foundation nor roof is shared, only the center wall from the foundation right through to the roof. There are many older semi-detached homes here with 2 different roofs. It LOOKS like the same roof, but it is not. Frequently the siding has been changed or even upgraded on one side. It is simply 2 houses which share a dividing wall. Sometimes there are 3 houses in a row - not a row house as in Philly, still considered a single family house even though "attached" - or "semi-detached". I kept calling them duplexes - but they are not in the meaning that is used in other states.

I had a difficult time at first with this concept, as I had lived in some duplexes in other states where the definition is it's one building, not 2 stuck together.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:22 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
I wouldn't do it. There are a lot of those where I am and they aren't as sort after if you are thinking about resale down the road. They have a habit of becoming rentals also.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:30 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
This must be another of those "different areas, different names" thing. In my area it is legally not possible to buy 1 half of a duplex. Duplexes are two units on one lot, and thus, by definition, always owned by the same person.

I'm guessing you are referring to what, in my area, is called a townhouse. It looks like a duplex, but has different building codes, and each unit is on its own lot. I live in one of these myself, and because of the way mine is built, it is just like living in a normal single family house (including noise level), except one side of the house has no windows.
It's the same as buying a unit in a condo. I do not know if they would have to have a HOA for only two units

Old 04-16-2011, 06:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
It's the same as buying a unit in a condo. I do not know if they would have to have a HOA for only two units

How in the heck would one have a HOA for a single shared wall? Each "half" of a semi-detached house is on its own land, has its own utilities, its own roof, its own driveway, and is quite separate and separately owned. What's a hoa to do, tell you how to maintain the only shared wall?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:19 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Neither the foundation nor roof is shared, only the center wall from the foundation right through to the roof. There are many older semi-detached homes here with 2 different roofs. It LOOKS like the same roof, but it is not. Frequently the siding has been changed or even upgraded on one side.
This must be another area where building standards differ from area to area then.

I live in one of these, my parents built it, I work at their office. We have built dozens of them.

In my area at least, they are definitely all one foundation (although you can't crawl in the crawl space between the units as there is a concrete dividing wall, but it is one continuous pour, connected at the perimeter) and continuous roof and continuous siding, at least at time of construction. I am 100% positive. In fact, I just went out and looked, just to be absolutely sure, and there is definitely no seam on my siding or roof on the property line. Not even a line of caulk.

In cases where the two halves of the building are owned by different people, most have a shared maintenance agreement for when a roof or siding have to be repaired/replaced.

Now, that said, after they have been around for a while, they may have different paint colors on each side, but I have never seen one with a partial roof replacement, or different siding on one side. Technically, the owner should have right to do so, but it would definitely have to involve the neighbor, since it would involve cutting their siding or roof, and then tying your new into their old. Thus, the shared maintenance agreement. I don't know for sure, but I would guess that the reason I haven't seen different looks on different sides probably stems from rules at the building permit office.

I'm curious though, for your area, how can you have a roof that "looks like" one roof, but really is two? It either has continuous shingles, or it has a space. Same with siding. It is either continuous or it isn't. Sounds like in your area, there is actually a gap, however small. In my area, there is not. Not sure how that would work though, how do you not have water intrusion problems on the roof? I get it on the siding, they just cut and caulk and make a seam.

So yes, on "duplex style townhouses" as they are descriptively referred to here, at least in my area, they are connected on 360 degrees. The foundation, siding and roof. The "shared wall", rather than just being a firewall, is actually two completely separated exterior house walls, usually with a dead space in between. I suppose they probably both could be referred to as a sort of firewalls, but they are true exterior walls, just lacking the siding.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:49 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
No, just the firewall, which rises from the basement floor through the roof and extends above the chimney height. Our foundations, roofs, sidings, etc., are all separate and we maintain our homes independently of our attached neighbors.

Some twins in my neighborhood share front walks and steps, others may have a porch column or two in common.

Quote:
In cases where the two halves of the building are owned by different people, most have a shared maintenance agreement for when a roof or siding have to be repaired/replaced.
No, all those things are quite separate. Our roofs do not connect; they are separated by the firewall and are maintained separately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate