Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 12:03 AM

836 posts, read 1,777,615 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I want to make an offer on a condo, been getting ready for almost a year, done some research but still pretty clueless, I am sure, comparing to you all here

WHAT should I make sure to have included in draft of an offer? What contingencies, etc? What documents to request before an offer? I know about Property Disclosure going before the offer (but my real estate agent wasn't going to ask for that), what about Re-sale certificate - before or after offer?

In either case, before I actually commit to buy, gathered this much to have to know/have:

-Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions
-Property Disclosure
- Re-sale certificate
- Proof of seller's up-to-date HOA payments & insurance payments
- Financial statement of condo assotiation or something like that (if HOA fees in general are up to date, and what HOA spends money on)
- Energy bills for unit for the last 12 months
- "ask if there are any pending or expiring special assessments"
- "most recent reserve study and make sure the reserves are properly funded"
- to know "Factors ( % of renters, % reserves, % delinquencies, % builder's interest"

Of course, the contingency about sale price not exceeding the Appraisal. What else??
Please, help the dummy me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 10:49 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Why don't you find a good buyers' agent to help you? An agent would cover all the necessary and recommended contract terms, and be sure that you get all the appropriate disclosures and documents.

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice you appear to have an agent. If your agent isn't handling this, then I'd be concerned. Some HOA documents may not be accessible until you enter escrow, when the HOA is legally required to provide them (such as financial info). We don't have a re-sale certificate here.

Last edited by rjrcm; 04-15-2011 at 10:59 AM..

Old 04-15-2011, 03:29 PM

She doesn't seem to be very experienced... or just doesn't want to come up with stuff unless I ask
And I wasn't sure I'd have the guts to change her now As I said, stupid me!

Old 04-15-2011, 03:30 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Resale certificates are not usually available until closing. Your concern at this point is who pays for it if the HOA charges a fee (and they do b/c its a money-maker for them).

Before the offer you should see the property disclosure and you can ask to see the prior 12 months of utility bills. That is not something commonly required but go ahead and ask.

You can make the offer based on being able to end deal in 24 hours after receiving copy of HOA convenants, conditions & restrictions and financial statements -- and must be provided (w/i 24 hours of contract) and acceptable to you (because you usually do not get a copy of them until after you have a contract) and you can also make the offer based on no pending or expiring unfunded special assessments. That way if there is a special assessment coming up your seller may be able to offer to pay for it.

Last edited by Squirl; 04-15-2011 at 03:38 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 03:35 PM

What else....... inspections -- structure, systems & pest must be satisfactory (all this should be covered in the standard contract, btw)

Also conditional on you getting a loan.

Have you visited the property at various times to make sure the unit doesn't get neighbors' cooking smells or sounds?

Old 04-15-2011, 03:36 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
She doesn't seem to be very experienced... or just doesn't want to come up with stuff unless I ask
And I wasn't sure I'd have the guts to change her now As I said, stupid me!
If she is THAT inexperienced, I'd ask her if you can meet with her and her broker in charge. You need some assistance and just because the agent you chose isn't experienced doesn't mean you should suffer.

This is a big purchase. You need someone to guide you and help you so that you don't make a very expensive mistake. And this is HER JOB! This is what she is getting paid for.

Covenants are online in NC but I'm not sure where you are located. I'd try the website for your county first and if you don't find it there, try looking up the HOA website.

Vicki

Old 04-15-2011, 03:40 PM

The last 2 times I bought a condo I phoned the property management office and just asked them several questions about the property --- about crime, maintenance, rules, % owner/occupants, pending assessments, etc. They were very nice.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
You can make the offer based on being able to end deal in 24 hours after receiving copy of HOA convenants, conditions & restrictions and financial statements -- and must be provided (w/i 24 hours of contract) and acceptable to you ...
Good recommendations. The time allowed for the HOA to produce documents may vary by location. Here, they have 10 days to deliver, and buyer has 3 days to review. CC&Rs are also available on-line here as a recorded document.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
The last 2 times I bought a condo I phoned the property management office and just asked them several questions about the property --- about crime, maintenance, rules, % owner/occupants, pending assessments, etc. They were very nice.
Always a good thing to do. Most are nice enough to provide some info if you tell them you are thinking of buying in their development.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I will try that... thanks!
And thanks to everyone! It is all very helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate