Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Realtor: experience, established brand awareness, work ethic, customer service, newspaper ads

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:51 PM

9 posts, read 25,023 times

Advertisements

Again, a HUGE thanks to all that have replied. I am taking your advice, getting all of my documentation together, and then will see if I can schedule a meeting with the managing broker. I feel much better now -- Not only did I get a chance to vent, but I also received confirmation that I have a right to be upset with the lack of consideration and customer service I've received from their agent.

To Cynmkolohe: You are totally right about everything you said. I knew the Homes & Land deadline was a few weeks prior to the actual publication because I did ask "Mr. Donkey" about that during our initial meeting. He told me himself that the deadline was not until the following week (5-6 days after we signed the contract) so he obviously knew when it was. The fact that he promptly forgot, or was simply too lazy, to submit our listing is the reason I was so angry. His lack of time management cost us several weeks of that additional exposure! And yes, I am looking forward to seeing the look on the managing broker's face when I ask about that mysterious "company policy" prohibiting newspaper ads!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 01:54 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Call me an old softey, but I feel sorry for this guy. He's obviously going through some rough times. You mentioned he was a Marine in the reserves, and maybe he is going on his 4th or 5th deployment to Iraq soon as well. Hard to make money and support a family that way. And since your husband is also a Marine, you were probably cutting the guy some slack (?)

HOWEVER (a big however), he was unprofessional at best and unethical/negligent at worst. You should definitely talk to the employing broker and demand that another of his top agents, one that you are comfortable with, be given your listing with no chance of your "donkey" getting the commission.

Not one of the things you mentioned should pass as "acceptable professional conduct" of any realtor (not returning calls, being late, cussing at you, not putting up the sign, yada yada) and would definitely qualify as grounds for firing in my book.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:01 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Epic I'm a realtor and hope this experience doesn't tarnish your views of my profession. There are very good agents out there who will bend over backwards in service.

The most disturbing thing about your post was the profanity. I don't care how stressed or sick somebody is but you never talk to clients that way!

Next point was his excuses about open houses and having to spend time with his kids. He is in the wrong profession not expecting to work weekends & nights. We usually work when our clients are not.

It also seems like you have issues with the listing office & their procedures ( signs, photos & the MLS listing) Are you sure you want to relist with this company?

Others have recommended contacting the broker which is a very good idea but if this other agent is responsive than perhaps you should stay with the agency.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Call me an old softey, but I feel sorry for this guy. He's obviously going through some rough times. You mentioned he was a Marine in the reserves, and maybe he is going on his 4th or 5th deployment to Iraq soon as well. Hard to make money and support a family that way. And since your husband is also a Marine, you were probably cutting the guy some slack (?)
No, I think you misunderstood -- let me clarify... Agent Donkey is in the reserves in an administrative capacity. He is not even remotely scheduled to go to Iraq. My HUSBAND, on the other hand, is scheduled to go back to Iraq for the 3rd time. Agent Donkey knows this.

I most certainly did "cut him some slack" because of the Marine Corps aspect. This was especially true with the swearing-at-me incident. After all, when you're married to a Marine and around a lot of them all the time, you almost forget that not everyone drops the F-bomb in every other sentence. That's MY mistake and I've accepted the responsibility for it!

Finally, if Agent Donkey is having a hard time making ends meet for his family, it's his own fault. Based on his rank, prior service, etc. the income from the reserves should be more than enough to supplement any income. If he's not making enough money, it's got to be that he's alienated other clients (and probably agents!) with his lack of professionalism.

I don't feel sorry for him a bit. He's the first person I've met who works SO hard at not working! What little he does do is so screwed up or idiotic that he should probably be fired. My best guess is that he's kept his job because people here are just too polite to say anything. My husband and I are not from here, nor are we that nice! Trust me -- if his bosses don't know how he "works" for them, they will soon...

Old 07-31-2007, 02:53 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicWebDesign View Post
No, I think you misunderstood -- let me clarify... Agent Donkey is in the reserves in an administrative capacity. He is not even remotely scheduled to go to Iraq. My HUSBAND, on the other hand, is scheduled to go back to Iraq for the 3rd time. Agent Donkey knows this.

I most certainly did "cut him some slack" because of the Marine Corps aspect. This was especially true with the swearing-at-me incident. After all, when you're married to a Marine and around a lot of them all the time, you almost forget that not everyone drops the F-bomb in every other sentence. That's MY mistake and I've accepted the responsibility for it!

Finally, if Agent Donkey is having a hard time making ends meet for his family, it's his own fault. Based on his rank, prior service, etc. the income from the reserves should be more than enough to supplement any income. If he's not making enough money, it's got to be that he's alienated other clients (and probably agents!) with his lack of professionalism.

I don't feel sorry for him a bit. He's the first person I've met who works SO hard at not working! What little he does do is so screwed up or idiotic that he should probably be fired. My best guess is that he's kept his job because people here are just too polite to say anything. My husband and I are not from here, nor are we that nice! Trust me -- if his bosses don't know how he "works" for them, they will soon...
Ah, thanks for the clarification on his service. I made a big disclaimer about that in my 2nd and 3rd paragraphs. He needs to be reprimanded and possibly even let go from the brokerage.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Ah, thanks for the clarification on his service. I made a big disclaimer about that in my 2nd and 3rd paragraphs. He needs to be reprimanded and possibly even let go from the brokerage.
Yes, I did see your disclaimer and trust me -- I took it to heart As I said, I WILL be discussing this situation, in detail, with the agency itself. While Agent Donkey's service to the Marine Corps is something I would never criticize -- I don't know his record, but as a Marine family we just don't believe that he has transferred the commitment, pride and "Semper Fi" mentality of the Corps to his work in the civilian sector. It's kind of sad actually.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:35 PM

510 posts, read 3,200,718 times
I always forget that I habitually call the IQ challenged donkeys... hearing it repeated, and as "Agent Donkey" is literally making me laugh out loud repeatedly. Classic...

Old 07-31-2007, 05:34 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
Epic, you should see to it that your new Realtor places your home on realtor.com also (if that has already been mentioned I apologize, I didn't see it) as a bunch of people scan that site looking for homes. Good luck, sorry to hear about how you were treated and send a thank you to your husband for his service to our country and to you for the difficulties of being the wife of a deployed soldier.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:07 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
Of course you aren't over reacting! You can certainly relist with the same agency with a different agent. Call the broker and have him/her handle it right now before the listing even expires...have the broker assign a new agent. Your contract, and everyone should remember this, is with the BROKER, not the agent. The listing belongs to the broker. If there is ever any difficulty with the sales associate you ALWAYS have the right to speak with the broker.
Gee, as if your situation isn't stressful enough! I can't believe he spoke to you that way!
As said above..thank you and your husband for your service. The very best to you!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseJeff View Post
I always forget that I habitually call the IQ challenged donkeys... hearing it repeated, and as "Agent Donkey" is literally making me laugh out loud repeatedly. Classic...
Well, after reading it in your first post, it just seemed to fit so perfectly, I HAD to use it.

A big thank you to everyone for the advice and for your kind comments to my husband!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate