Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 11:01 PM

908 posts, read 1,661,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
This baffles me as well. You hire someone to lead you through one of the biggest financial transactions you'll ever make but you don't trust them enough to listen to their advice. It just doesn't make any sense. Hire someone who you can trust and I assure you they will only refer you to other people you can trust.
people don't hire realtors because they trust them. they hire realtors because that is the only way to get into the housing market. realtors know the ropes of the business, and they have access to listings etc. they know how to transact. however to tell people to trust their realtor in every aspect and not take precautions is simply foolhardy and not advice to be "trusted"! haha. so either the two commenters are realtors (YES THEY ARE) , or if not, i must say i have rarely encountered such a questionable desire for naieve gullibility in adults. How would a person even know if their chosen realtor is really trustworthy? since they are all strangers. so that's plain ludicrous. NO, go ahead and get your own independent inspectors, appraisers, etc. and make sure they are not in any way affiliated. Unless you are many years into a great relationship with a trusted friendly and proven helpful realtor who has shown you they are to be trusted. which would be NOT most people's situation! most people rarely come into contact with realtors.

Last edited by 2bpurrfect; 11-11-2013 at 11:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 05:24 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bpurrfect View Post
people don't hire realtors because they trust them.
Wrong. Very wrong. Not even close to accurate.
People seek to trust their agent, and even ask for references, or referrals from family or friends for an agent to hire whom they can trust.
When things go poorly, people sometimes sue on the grounds that they placed their trust in the agent and feel that trust was violated.

Quote:
they hire realtors because that is the only way to get into the housing market.
Wrong again.
FSBO, etc.

Quote:
realtors know the ropes of the business, and they have access to listings etc. they know how to transact. however to tell people to trust their realtor in every aspect and not take precautions is simply foolhardy and not advice to be "trusted"! haha. so either the two commenters are realtors (YES THEY ARE) , or if not, i must say i have rarely encountered such a questionable desire for naieve gullibility in adults. How would a person even know if their chosen realtor is really trustworthy? since they are all strangers. so that's plain ludicrous. NO, go ahead and get your own independent inspectors, appraisers, etc. and make sure they are not in any way affiliated. Unless you are many years into a great relationship with a trusted friendly and proven helpful realtor who has shown you they are to be trusted. which would be NOT most people's situation! most people rarely come into contact with realtors.
OK. I may be stepping into the usual internet mess presented without sense or sensibility, but I just have to ask...
Maybe you can answer the following questions that no one else who espouses trusting anyone but an agent has ever tried to answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So, if I offer a list of inspectors to a client, say 25 guys, you say discard them all? Should I do that to serve my client and include known buffoons in the list so they don't make the cut, and disavow all knowledge of the capable guys?

More commonly, and I would love just once to get answers from people who spread this stuff:

So, if the client picks a known buffoon, what should the agent do?
Should the agent say anything?
When the client picks a buffoon, and the agent knows the client has picked a buffoon, is the agent liable if the agent does not speak up?
Is the agent relieved of liability once the client picks a known buffoon, since buffoonery is the client's proactive, independent choice?

Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I assume you live in a state with unlicensed home inspectors?? Here they are all regulated by the contractors board, but they can't do repair/quotes on homes they inspect.

I get why people say don't use the home inspector recommended by their agent if you don't trust your agent, but I have to ask...why would you hire a service professional that you think so little of that you won't trust any of their recommendations? I honestly don't get that attitude by consumers.
I think folks are getting the thread subject: 'final walk-through inspections' by the owner' - mixed-up with 'inspections by a paid home inspector.' The two are separate events that are only related if the buyer negotiates repairs detected by the home inspector, but, otherwise have little to do with one another.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:15 AM

373 posts, read 589,533 times
Quote:
So, if I offer a list of inspectors to a client, say 25 guys, you say discard them all? Should I do that to serve my client and include known buffoons in the list so they don't make the cut, and disavow all knowledge of the capable guys?

More commonly, and I would love just once to get answers from people who spread this stuff:

So, if the client picks a known buffoon, what should the agent do?
Should the agent say anything?
When the client picks a buffoon, and the agent knows the client has picked a buffoon, is the agent liable if the agent does not speak up?
Is the agent relieved of liability once the client picks a known buffoon, since buffoonery is the client's proactive, independent choice?
The point I am making is that the inspector should be completely divorced from the agent. Conflict of interest, simple as that. I have never been given a huge list of inspectors, and my comment relates to an agent who gives me a couple or so names. That's what I'm talking about. If he gives you a long list of inspectors, then its your responsibility to sift through those inspectors, have a chat with them and make doubly sure that they inspect houses in a objective manner. Two things I do:

1) I tell the inspector that I am looking for an excuse to not go through with the offer i gave. I make up some excuse...none of his business why...I want him to find something that will make me cancel the offer. If he does the inspection on that basis (for which I am paying him) and he finds nothing of significance, then I think for all the world there must not be any findings that will give me a problem. Make sure you act sincere about this. You must tell that prospective inspector, you found something else or maybe you are not agreeable about the price...whatever - you just sorta changed your mind.. That's the way you do this stuff. You are paying him and he is working for you. Of course, you have to be pretty darn sure he is not a drinking buddy of either the seller agent or the buyer agent. And this is a good way to find out. Pay attention to what he tells you. Use your head. You know what I mean.

2) Inspect the place yourself first..before he even goes in there! Very important! My comment about the electrical code violation, which was a big job to remedy. I saw it before the pseudo-inspector came through to do the inspection! It was enough to withhold part of that scumbags money!

Its like a lot of things these days...a game. You've got to play that game. As I tell people, when you really want a piece of property and are serious about going through with a purchase, you need to educate yourself about what sort of stuff to look for. In my book (and my experience) flashlight and camera are necessary and do look at the basement walls and floor - go over it with a fine tooth comb. Don't know for sure what you are seeing? Get somebody in there and ask! Always, always get into the attic and check for leaks. These are two things that could contain big very expensive to remedy problems and you need to know! Some inspectors assume you never looked. Some of these clowns are downright afraid of attics and spiders. Sheesh! I have actually expereinced that. That's where you get 'em.

"spreading stuff" Oh pahleez! This is common sense advice for young people who are out looking to purchase real estate. I like to see youngins skip as many of the mistakes I made and so doing have a better life.

Last edited by StuffedCabbage; 11-12-2013 at 08:59 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post
The point I am making is that the agent should be completely divorced from the inspector. Conflict of interest, simple as that. I have never been given a huge list of inspectors, and my comment relates to an agent who gives me a couple or so names. That's what I'm talking about. If he gives you a long list of inspectors, then its your responsibility to sift through those inspectors, have a chat with them and make doubly sure that they inspect houses in a objective manner. Two things I do:

1) I tell the inspector that I am looking for an excuse to not go through with the offer i gave. I make up some excuse...none of his business why...I want him to find something that will make me cancel the offer. If he does the inspection on that basis (for which I am paying him) then I think for all the world there must not be any findings that will give me a problem. Make sure you are sincere about this. You must tell that prospective inspector, you found something else or maybe you are not agreeable about the pirce...whatever. That's the way you do this stuff. Of course, you have to be pretty darn sure he is not a drinking buddy of either the seller agent or the buyer agent.

2) Inspect the place yourself first..before he even goes in there! Very important! My comment about the electrical code violation, which was a big job to remedy? I saw it before the pseudo-inspector came through to do the inspection! It was enough to withhold part of that scumbags money!

Its like a lot of things these days...a game. You've got to play that game. As I tell people, when you really want a piece of property and are serious about going through with a purchase, you need to educate yourself about what sort of stuff to look for. In my book (and my experience) flashlight and camera are necessary and do look at the basement walls and floor - go over it with a fine tooth comb. Don't know for sure what you are seeing? Get somebody in there and ask! Always, always get into the attic and check for leaks. These are two things that could contain big very expensive to remedy problems and you need to know! Some inspectors assume you never looked. That's where you get 'em.
1) I would rather have an inspector who inspected the structure thoroughly than playing games.

2) Not an option for most buyers. Really.

So, when someone picks a buffoon because they are not affiliated with the agent in any way, and they are out there, what does the agent do? What is the right thing for the agent to do?
If you pick a knucklehead and I know it, what do I do, and what is my liability in the process?

Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
1) I would rather have an inspector who inspected the structure thoroughly than playing games.

2) Not an option for most buyers. Really.

So, when someone picks a buffoon because they are not affiliated with the agent in any way, and they are out there, what does the agent do? What is the right thing for the agent to do?
If you pick a knucklehead and I know it, what do I do, and what is my liability in the process?
The comment about YOU going through the place yourself with a fine tooth comb before the guy ever inspects it, is part of what you can do to make sure as best as possible, that the inspection is legit. Its very important. But, you need to educate yourself as to what to look for even before you put an offer on a place.

It IS an option for buyers if they take my advice. In terms of money one may have to spend; and time and toil, it is extremely important that they educate themselves so that they know how to avoid buying a place that will potentially cost them beaucoup bucks to fix. And since it is in the middle of a sale process, it is one way they can back out of an offer - and sometimes the only way. One only has to read the blogs on the internet on numeous sites to hear about all the possible things that can ruin the purchase of a house, and turn it into a money pit...buying a house is probably the biggest investment you'll ever make. The last thing you want to do is make it even more costly. That's my point.

Last edited by StuffedCabbage; 11-12-2013 at 08:49 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
It IS an option for buyers if they take my advice. In terms of money one may have to spend; and time and toil, it is extremely important that they educate themselves so that they know how to avoid buying a place that will potentially cost them beaucoup bucks to fix. And since it is in the middle of a sale process, it is one way they can back out of an offer. One only has to read the blogs on the internet on numeous sites to hear about all the possible things that can ruin the purchase of a house...probably the biggest investment you'll ever make.
No, not really a realistic option for most buyers.

That is not at all a slam on buyers. Most can buy a house because they have worked hard to develop a specific skill set that enables them financially to make a housing purchase commitment.
I see too many who work 10-12 hours a day, and strive to spend family time together.
Why should they dedicate mega-hours to learn arcane stuff and how to apply it, when those skills are readily available for hire at reasonable prices? Particularly when they have no interest in much of it?

Old 11-12-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
No, not really a realistic option for most buyers.

That is not at all a slam on buyers. Most can buy a house because they have worked hard to develop a specific skill set that enables them financially to make a housing purchase commitment.
I see too many who work 10-12 hours a day, and strive to spend family time together.
Why should they dedicate mega-hours to learn arcane stuff and how to apply it, when those skills are readily available for hire at reasonable prices? Particularly when they have no interest in much of it?

I work too many hours....oh I've heard that argument on at least 10 topics. If that's what you think, then hire me as your inspector. I'd love the money. Work hard, work long hours, pick up the kids....etc... You are an excellent customer. I can put the wool over your eyes any day.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I work too many hours....oh I've heard that argument on at least 10 topics. If that's what you think, then hire me as your inspector. I'd love the money. Work hard, work long hours, pick up the kids....etc... You are an excellent customer. I can put the wool over your eyes any day.
So, would you cheat people for profit just because you saw a chance to do so? And that would make you a good home inspector?

If you have any experience with people, you will have recognized that folks have all sorts of priorities in life and crawling under houses and across attic rafters would rank pretty low for most. I see that as an opportunity to serve, where some see it as an opportunity to cheat.

I quit recommending the home inspector who didn't want to crawl under the house on a rainy day. He is out of business.
And I never did recommend the one that my buyer hired who lied about crawling under another one. He is highly recommended on Angie's list, and gave the buyer a hard sales pitch on the house to impress me, and I wouldn't hire him to look at a shed.
I quit recommending the home inspector who didn't check temperature differentials between supply ducts and return ducts. And who got cranky when I pointed out a roof issue he missed. He is out of business.
I never will recommend the guy who is not a member of MLS but asked for the lockbox code to go back in for his radon gear. He is a crook who works for crooked agents. Poor inspector, too.
I never recommended the guy who couldn't write his findings in coherent English. A bad report only makes a tough inspection undocumented. He no longer inspects homes.

All any decent agent wants is a thorough inspection without drama and a clear report.
Nothing else serves the agent.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Quote:
All any decent agent wants is a thorough inspection without drama and a clear report.
Nothing else serves the agent.
Gotta agree with your points. I have an inspector that I feel comfortable in recommending to my clients. He has no affiliation with my office and I always tell my clients that they can hire their own inspector if they wish.

I think of it like finding a mechanic you feel that you can trust and recommending them to friends and family members. Once you determine the trust level, professionalism and confidence in their work, you continue using them and/or recommending them.

I have no direct stake in an inspector's report and do not earn a commission from them for recommending them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate