Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:54 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times

Advertisements

We decided to - for now at least - list our house ourselves. We can't find a realtor in this area that's willing to really do the job. They seem to think they can sit at a desk all day and the house will sell itself.

So, it's on the market FSBO right now and we're offering owner finance in the hopes we can sell it faster that way. I've posted on Craigslist in two areas but apparently you can't post on that site in multiple areas of the country. I can post it on a site we use locally. But where else can I post it? Short of taking out ads in papers across the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 03:33 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,310 times
Just out of curiousity what are you expecting your agent to do for you?

As far as posting your own FSBO try postlets (Postlets | Free Listing Syndication and Real Estate Marketing Tools). It will post your listing to multiple sources at once.

Good luck!

Old 04-30-2011, 05:10 PM

143 posts, read 368,723 times
Try Zillow.com

Old 04-30-2011, 05:45 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
We decided to - for now at least - list our house ourselves. We can't find a realtor in this area that's willing to really do the job. They seem to think they can sit at a desk all day and the house will sell itself.

So, it's on the market FSBO right now and we're offering owner finance in the hopes we can sell it faster that way. I've posted on Craigslist in two areas but apparently you can't post on that site in multiple areas of the country. I can post it on a site we use locally. But where else can I post it? Short of taking out ads in papers across the country?
Try a flat fee broker(ussually like $500) that puts it on the MLS. Also if you really want a good realtor(versus not wanting one at all) keep looking, I'm sure you can find someone who meets your expectations.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
I'm still looking. We had this problem when we were looking to buy here too. No one wants to take people to look at homes or make appointments. You give them a price range you're looking in and they'll show you houses listed for double that. Call them and they don't answer, never call back. They're just lazy. I've talked to a ton of people here and everyone has said the same thing. They seem to think they can list it on line and then just do their nails while they wait for someone to magically appear with the money to buy it. I want someone that will work for the thousands of dollars they'll be making if I hire them.

I'll try the other options in the meantime. Thank you!

Old 04-30-2011, 07:58 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
find a flat fee broker to get your house on MLS; I've done this a few times.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:54 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
So you didn't really answer the question. What do you expect of an agent?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:47 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I'm still looking. We had this problem when we were looking to buy here too. No one wants to take people to look at homes or make appointments. You give them a price range you're looking in and they'll show you houses listed for double that. Call them and they don't answer, never call back. They're just lazy. I've talked to a ton of people here and everyone has said the same thing. They seem to think they can list it on line and then just do their nails while they wait for someone to magically appear with the money to buy it. I want someone that will work for the thousands of dollars they'll be making if I hire them.

I'll try the other options in the meantime. Thank you!
Do you live in a big town/city? If you only have one or two agents where you are then I could see this being a problem. The other thing is are your expectations realistic? Are you going into this with an open mind when it comes to pricing your home to sell and are you willing to work with a potential buyer when one comes around or are you set in your ways and will not accept a penny less than asking?

It's a two way street...maybe more details are in order.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:51 AM

30 posts, read 97,549 times
Hi Mrs. 1885, where are you located? The realtors I know work really hard! Of course, there are some that give us a bad name (you know, 20% of the realtors do 80% of the business, just like anything else!)....

Postlets is a good idea. So is FSBO.com or BuyOwner. Google is your friend.

Good luck!

Jennifer

Old 05-01-2011, 02:22 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,994 times
We have done well using a flat fee service before. We are using it again this time. Because we are not using a listing agent we set the commission at 2.5% to the agent that sells our home. 99% of the agents that sell only get 2% unless they are also the lister of the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate