Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 05:39 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuyer View Post
We found out that the seller of the townhome we tried to purchase is actually a professional athlete and millionaire who no longer plays in our city. He must have purchased the townhome as an investment property when it was new (it's a nice but modest place). He's selling it as well as a large house nearby.

I think my realtor's instinct that he'd be more willing to sell quickly and for a lower price has turned out to be completely off. I'm thinking that because he has plenty of money and owes nothing on the townhome, he's actually less motivated than the average seller. Additionally, the listing agent doesn't communicate directly with him, but his financial people who have no emotional or personal stake in what happens to the townhouse.

But then again, taking the hit doesn't hurt him as much as others and he should be more eager to just get rid of the property? What do people think? Anyone dealt with wealthy sellers?
I think they have a larger likelyhood of being more rational.
Because they have professionals work them and making the decisions, in this case he does not live in the place, he probably doesn't have an incentive to fire sale the place. So if your offer is below market its more likely he'll reject but less likely that he'll hold out for an above market price that might never come out of stubbornness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:44 PM

31 posts, read 66,168 times
What do you know. The seller accepted our latest offer of $230,000. His wife drove to St. Louis (where he's based) from Georgia (where family pad is) to sign the papers tonight.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:25 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
Great news! Must have been the day for it yesterday.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:44 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuyer View Post
What do you know. The seller accepted our latest offer of $230,000. His wife drove to St. Louis (where he's based) from Georgia (where family pad is) to sign the papers tonight.
Thats crazy! Why didn't they just fax it over, or do the signatures online? Realtors dropped the ball on that one, unless she insisted...

Old 05-03-2011, 08:52 AM

31 posts, read 66,168 times
That is crazy. I wondered, why couldn't he fly her out? Maybe she was scheduled to make a trip out there anyway for some other business.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,033 times
Maybe she just likes to drive. I know I do.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:14 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times
I don't think most wealthy people will sell for a bargain -- unless they are underwater, want to use the money as downpayment for another home, or want to reinvest that money in something more profitable.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:31 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
The majority of my clients are wealthy, so I deal with this all the time. Each is different, just like regular folks. A lot will hold for a fair price. Some will dump it just to move on. The thing they ALL have in common is that they're very smart. You're not going to steal a property because they're hurting. Most aren't. You'll get a good deal if it makes sense to THEM. But again, they're all different and you don't know their motivation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate