Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:41 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times

Advertisements

That eternal pessimist Gary Shilling says, “you should have sold your house yesterday”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 02:21 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,770 times
You think Bernie Madolf told his investors to do the same thing?

I don't see how we could drop another 20% in pricing....next thing you know we're going to be paying people to buy a house.

The fact of the matter is...NO ONE knows whats going to happen. Last time I checked there wasn't a shop in the world that sold crystal balls.

A quote I overheard the other day....."Flat is the new UP".

Old 05-05-2011, 02:27 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
I don't see how we could drop another 20% in pricing.....
it's easy. Take whatever you think a house is worth, and multiply it by 0.8.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:30 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
it's easy. Say a house's market value has fallen to $200,000. Multiply that number by 0.8.
Yeah, I get $160,000. I R GUD MATHER!

Old 05-05-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Yeah, I get $160,000. I R GUD MATHER!
*clap*
*clap*

i bet i could train real estate agents.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
*clap*
*clap*
SLAP HANDS

*chest bump*

BTW, I wonder how much RE Gary Schilling owns. He had a good run on the Larry Sander's show.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:36 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,770 times
Quote:
it's easy. Take whatever you think a house is worth, and multiply it by 0.8.
Oh really? THATS how you do it...what's that called? mult.....multi......math?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:39 PM

143 posts, read 368,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
That eternal pessimist Gary Shilling says, “you should have sold your house yesterday”.
It's actually statements like this, from people like Gary Shilling, that are what cause people to panick and therefor what's causing the prices of properties to drop even more. If people think that they are just going to lose if they buy now, they aren't going to buy now. If they think that the bottom is going to drop even further, they are going to run in the other direction. It's sad, but people just don't understand this...

I completely agree with Joe... "NO ONE knows"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
You think Bernie Madolf told his investors to do the same thing?

I don't see how we could drop another 20% in pricing....next thing you know we're going to be paying people to buy a house.

The fact of the matter is...NO ONE knows whats going to happen. Last time I checked there wasn't a shop in the world that sold crystal balls.

A quote I overheard the other day....."Flat is the new UP".

Old 05-05-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya Donaghy View Post
It's actually statements like this, from people like Gary Shilling, that are what cause people to panick and therefor what's causing the prices of properties to drop even more. If people think that they are just going to lose if they buy now, they aren't going to buy now. If they think that the bottom is going to drop even further, they are going to run in the other direction. It's sad, but people just don't understand this...

I completely agree with Joe... "NO ONE knows"...
when demand exceeds supply, prices go up.

when supply exceeds demand, "OMGWTF NOBODY HAS A CRYSTAL BALL NOBODYPANICNOBODYPANICCALLBERNANKE."

Old 05-05-2011, 02:47 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
I don't think the cost of RE right now should be reason for alarm with most buyers. Or owners who aren't planning to sell, for that matter.

If your budget will allow for the purchase, you feel confident about the location and that the home will suit your needs, why not buy it? Do people worry about how much it will be worth in 5-10 years when they buy a boat or an RV? Nope.

If you own a home that you bought before the housing bubble burst (I do, btw), as long as you're still gainfully employed and you can afford the home, why not keep right on paying your mortgage?

You'll own it, sooner or later.

The people who have the most to lose are the ones who HAVE to sell for whatever reason.

Even for them, if they've owned the home for a good while, and put a reasonable amount down when they bought it, only in the most depressed markets are they going to wind up owing more than they paid in order to sell their home.

I think some people stubbornly hang on to homes for years, thinking the market will magically rebound and give them the high rate of return they expected. That's foolish.

If you like the house and want to keep living there, do.

If you need to relocate or something, bite the bullet and take the loss.

You're going to buy in a new area at prices lower than what your neighbors who bought at the height of the market paid, so for many people, it'll all even out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate