Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:00 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times

Advertisements

No one is "priced in" forever. Just ask the people who have walked away from their house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I'm part of their estimates. Course, I could get my basement permitted and prolly pull myself out.

Don't want to. More taxes.

Can rent this place out for the cost of my mortgage, so this is irrelevant.

That's why I bought less than I was told I could afford in 2007. If I did have to sell instead of rent it like we plan to do once we find a bigger house, we could permit the basement and/or eat the difference. Should be less than 5k easy. Not worried about it. Will be saving on the new place when we consider what we would've spent on a home that size in 2007.

Btw, I see nothing wrong with buying a house for zero down. Maybe I'd rather keep my money in the bank.

How is that any different than the people who put down 30%, then HELOCed their way to
125% LTV? Geez.

What I do see as problematic is people overextending themselves with high monthly payments and/or crazy ARMs.

That's just plain stupid.

If the mortgage itself is really affordable, a home can be rented out if people must transfer and cannot sell right away.

Whether one loses money via equity or money via their savings when selling in this market, it's still money.
I see nothing wrong with 100% funding either. It just is NOT for everyone. It is great that you made a choice with your eyes open and that you were operating from a position of financial strength.

100% funding for people with no financial strength? I.e., no money in the bank?
Risky for them, but payday for everyone else around the closing table.
And there is a lot of "Buyer urgency" creation going on in the real estate industry.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:13 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I agree but it's a chicken and egg problem we have.

Defense spending accounts for 20% of our budget. Healthcare spending accounts for the other 20% of our budget. You cut defense or health spending, that trickles down to job cuts. You will deal with more unemployment coming from those sectors.
Not quite chicken and egg. Like somebody said:the government should not arrange Christmas all year round just to help keep Santa's their jobs.

Employment should come from healthy industries creating jobs INSIDE the country, not from artificially created jobs from the government.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:30 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I see nothing wrong with 100% funding either. It just is NOT for everyone. It is great that you made a choice with your eyes open and that you were operating from a position of financial strength.

100% funding for people with no financial strength? I.e., no money in the bank?
Risky for them, but payday for everyone else around the closing table.
And there is a lot of "Buyer urgency" creation going on in the real estate industry.
I agree, Mike.

When I bought the townhouse, I did FHA. The rates were good at the time. I've even done a streamline refi since.

While shopping for our new home, we've been doing it based on my husband's income alone. We aren't even counting mine, even though it would make a big difference even IF our lender made me factor in the mortgage on the townhome.

I think that if someone can buy at 100%, for a modest home with payments lower than what they'd spend renting a similar home, there's no reason not to.

Especially if it can be one in one loan with no PMI.

We are fortunate to have a couple of credit unions where we can do this.

One even does 100% up to 650k.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I agree, Mike.

When I bought the townhouse, I did FHA. The rates were good at the time. I've even done a streamline refi since.

While shopping for our new home, we've been doing it based on my husband's income alone. We aren't even counting mine, even though it would make a big difference even IF our lender made me factor in the mortgage on the townhome.

I think that if someone can buy at 100%, for a modest home with payments lower than what they'd spend renting a similar home, there's no reason not to.

Especially if it can be one in one loan with no PMI.

We are fortunate to have a couple of credit unions where we can do this.

One even does 100% up to 650k.
100% up to 650,000 is readily available. For physicians who have completed residency in the last 10 years.
100% up to $417,000 for residents fellows and interns.

Oh,

Old 05-12-2011, 04:07 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
100% up to 650,000 is readily available. For physicians who have completed residency in the last 10 years.
what program is that?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
100% up to $417,000 for residents fellows and interns.

Oh,
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
what program is that?
SunTrust Doctor Loan Program

The point being, that doctors are still expected to generate dependable revenue, at least gross revenue, and SunTrust would hope to get their book of business, I think.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:17 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Thank you for including at least a perfunctory nod to the FACT that properties need to be mortgaged to be underwater.
See, it is all over the blogosphere that 28 to 33 per cent of HOMEOWNERS are underwater, when that is obviously crap.

Now. How is the underwater number material to everyday life in the real estate market?

Although funding and banking liquidity function across the bigger picture, I like this chart, which strongly indicates, except for those who prefer big honking misleading headlines, that market dynamics are a local function:
Calculated Risk Chart Gallery
How do you know 28% aren't underwater? There is another big foreclosure peak upcoming in 2012 according to the international big bankers.

There are a lot of people who bought after the crisis and they are upside down. Many people are so upside down that even if they can afford to keep paying their mortgage, it doesn't make any sense to and are simply deciding to stop paying their mortgage payments. They know that the banks are taking forever to get around to foreclosing on them and even longer to kicking them out. So they end up living in their house for a few years without paying any mortgage payments.

(Then we the taxpayers bail out the banks as Ben Bernanke continues to make secret bailouts). The only people that get screwed are the honest ethical ones who pay their bills and try to save money. We get screwed as we see purchasing power of the dollar declining on a daily basis due to the expansion of the money supply by the FED. The Federal Reserve may as well be extracting 20% of our saving or more and giving it to the banks and corporations.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
How do you know 28% aren't underwater? ....
How? Because I read the article that you deemed appropriate to support your misleading post.

Are you now saying you used an article that is erroneous to support your misleading post?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:07 PM

17,397 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
How do you know 28% aren't underwater? There is another big foreclosure peak upcoming in 2012 according to the international big bankers.

There are a lot of people who bought after the crisis and they are upside down. Many people are so upside down that even if they can afford to keep paying their mortgage, it doesn't make any sense to and are simply deciding to stop paying their mortgage payments. They know that the banks are taking forever to get around to foreclosing on them and even longer to kicking them out. So they end up living in their house for a few years without paying any mortgage payments.

(Then we the taxpayers bail out the banks as Ben Bernanke continues to make secret bailouts). The only people that get screwed are the honest ethical ones who pay their bills and try to save money. We get screwed as we see purchasing power of the dollar declining on a daily basis due to the expansion of the money supply by the FED. The Federal Reserve may as well be extracting 20% of our saving or more and giving it to the banks and corporations.
Do you understand that statistically, there's a huge difference between 28% of all homeowners and 28% of homeowners with a mortgage, right?

I'd just like clarification from you that you're clear that there's a pretty big difference between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate