Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:58 PM

29 posts, read 220,840 times

Advertisements

Well, I got my VA appraisal today. It came in $12500 less than the negotiated price. I would really like to get this house (its in great shape), but I don't want to overpay either.

Are VA appraisals generally conservative on their valuation? Is this a common problem with VA loans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,495 times
I wouldn't say they come in conservative. My guess would be the listing agent challenges it. But if it stands, you'll hopefully get your purchase price offset by the difference.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:21 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
The appraiser should NOT technically care what kind of loan / lending program the buyer is using. In practice there may be trends with the same lenders using a small pool of appraisal firms and even with the "reforms" in putting distance between the lender and appraiser can't overcome the fact there are only so many people doing appraisals.

If the details of how the appraisal was made show no obvious errors and the comps the appraiser choose are legitimately similar there is not much to do. If there are errors or the comps are very much poorer than the subject property a review / new appraisal could be requested...

Old 05-12-2011, 02:55 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Don't fret... this is a good thing for you.

You have just gotten a second bite at the price offer apple.
Chew carefully and enjoy the savings.
---
Unless the buyer doesn't *need* to sell they really have no choice but to eat this bad news.
No one is gonna come in with an offer even a penny higher than the appraisal until next year (if then).

Old 05-12-2011, 02:59 PM

487 posts, read 1,358,319 times
In this situation there is not much hope of changing the appraisal.
Appraisers are not supposed to take input from any party in the deal and I think they are being held accountable these days which explains the conservative appraisals.
We had this exact situation as Buyers.
The appraisal came in Low.
We decided the home was worth more than the appraised value to us based on what we have seen sell over a year of looking.
The sellers were shocked and not willing to sell for the Appraised value.
We met in the middle and closed the deal.
We don't feel we over payed, but the fact we plan on staying in this home for 10 plus years helped us make our decision.
That is something you will need to determine for yourself.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:02 PM

487 posts, read 1,358,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Don't fret... this is a good thing for you.

You have just gotten a second bite at the price offer apple.
Chew carefully and enjoy the savings.
---
Unless the buyer doesn't *need* to sell they really have no choice but to eat this bad news.
No one is gonna come in with an offer even a penny higher than the appraisal until next year (if then).
This!!!!!!

Because even tho we loved the house.
And were originally willing to close at the agreed upon price.
The Low Appraisal ended up shaving 3% off the price for us.
So play it cool.
But don't let it get away if you really want it.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
I wouldn't say they come in conservative. My guess would be the listing agent challenges it. But if it stands, you'll hopefully get your purchase price offset by the difference.
Ya that's exactly whats happening. Listing agent disagrees with the appraisers comps. She says appraiser comps are too far away (~1.5 miles) to count. Appraiser says his comps are better because they are recent (seller's comps are somewhat dated).

Old 05-12-2011, 11:43 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atcshane2 View Post
Ya that's exactly whats happening. Listing agent disagrees with the appraisers comps. She says appraiser comps are too far away (~1.5 miles) to count. Appraiser says his comps are better because they are recent (seller's comps are somewhat dated).
1.5mi does not seem excessive to find good comps, especially if they are more recent. I doubt the listing agent is going to win based on that argument.

As mentioned, you (or your agent if you have one) need to negotiate a price reduction if you don't want to kick in more $. The seller is in a bind as the next buyer will likely face the same issue.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
1.5mi does not seem excessive to find good comps, especially if they are more recent. I doubt the listing agent is going to win based on that argument.

As mentioned, you (or your agent if you have one) need to negotiate a price reduction if you don't want to kick in more $. The seller is in a bind as the next buyer will likely face the same issue.
Is it possible the next buyer wouldn't have a problem if they were doing a conventional loan? In other words, would a normal appraiser take the VA appraisal seriously or take it with a grain of salt?

Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atcshane2 View Post
Is it possible the next buyer wouldn't have a problem if they were doing a conventional loan? In other words, would a normal appraiser take the VA appraisal seriously or take it with a grain of salt?
The appraisal for market value should be independent of the loan type, so if a buyer is using conventional, it wouldn't matter. The next appraiser also will not look at previous appraisals. So, the valuations should be similar unless their was some significant change in the market by the time the next buyer comes along, such as new comps that affect the value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate