Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 05:34 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,078,358 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if I were in your shoes that I would choose renting out the place as an option. Not sure about your financials situation but can you carry two mortgages easily if your tenant moves out and or you have to evict them? Do you have enough to make repairs as needed? Being a landlord is not as easy as it seems. I'm not trying to discourage you but you might want to think about that too.

If I were you I'd get the place rented first. That way you can show the bank additional income. As mentioned before, the bank will still view your condo as a liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 05:26 PM

667 posts, read 1,853,055 times
By the way, Meatkins, I am going to stick with the plan of buy first, then sell or rent out my condo, for what it is worth.

Reason is--it is surprisingly hard to buy a house right now. Unless you are quite well off and just don't worry about money--this isn't an easy time to buy, for reasons that have been spelled out quite well on this forum.*

Therefore, you might still be still looking for your house a year after you rented your place out. It's probably much cheaper to live in your condo then rent a place while you look (which is what I assume people expect you to do if you sell first--because if not, where are you going to live?) This is another thing for you to think about.

*this might not be the case where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate