Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 01:47 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times

Advertisements

We finally sold our oceanfront condo and are now in process of moving to another area. We plan to stay with our daughter for a short time and then rent for a while ... while remaining liquid and watching for a "great housing deal."

The RE market we are moving to is higher and more stable than where we are moving from. Therefore, we will likely have to pay 40-50% more than we sold for. Franklly, I'm not sure that the American 'housing dream' is still alive (low appreciation or declining prices, high inventories of unsold properties, lower interest/tax write-offs, etc).

Fortunately, we are retired and financially strong enough to choose among several options, but, are interested in advice from your perspective about what option/s make the most sense? -- Should we:

a). Rent, while investing our house-sale funds; and watching the RE market for a "great deal" -- then buy; ... and if so, how should we buy?:

b). Buy with significant cash-in (We may still need to come-up with another $200K prox.; ....in which case, should we pull the funds from IRA's and 'bite the tax bullet' ... or finance the balance at low interest rates?

c). ... OR, Buy with less cash in (20-30%) and finance the balance with a low interest loan... using ROI on invested funds to 'pay the mortgage' ... and take advantage of higher tax write-offs.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 02:45 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The RE market we are moving to is higher and more stable than where we are moving from.
Therefore, we will likely have to pay 40-50% more than we sold for.

Fortunately, we are retired and financially strong enough to choose among several options, but, are interested in advice from your perspective about what option/s make the most sense? -- Should we:

What are your thoughts?
Buying imho, at whatever price or financing arrangement, should be based on things OTHER THAN the price or financing arrangement and instead be based on your level of confidence that the proximity aspects like whatever family and social life and work opportunities etc in the area... are solid.

If they aren't solid, then you're likely to be ready to move in X years... so rent.
---
The rest of the analysis is all gonna be conjecture and anecdotal.

My anecdote: I'm over 50, semi-retired with what passes for work being done from home now. I recently bought and paid cash using about 70% of the proceeds from the sale of another property I had. The balance will be used to do some remodeling and repairs that will make this place solid and function well as a "retire in place" home.

I also chose a house and a location that lend themselves to all sorts of possible uses and other "outs" should the solidness of my reasoning for being here change.
---

Good luck making *your* choice.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:59 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Do you mind saying how old you are?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Buying imho, at whatever price or financing arrangement, should be based on things OTHER THAN the price or financing arrangement and instead be based on your level of confidence that the proximity aspects like whatever family and social life and work opportunities etc in the area... are solid.

If they aren't solid, then you're likely to be ready to move in X years... so rent.
---
The rest of the analysis is all gonna be conjecture and anecdotal.

My anecdote: I'm over 50, semi-retired with what passes for work being done from home now. I recently bought and paid cash using about 70% of the proceeds from the sale of another property I had. The balance will be used to do some remodeling and repairs that will make this place solid and function well as a "retire in place" home.

I also chose a house and a location that lend themselves to all sorts of possible uses and other "outs" should the solidness of my reasoning for being here change.
---

Good luck making *your* choice.
Thanks, - Because of the high inventory, we're looking for specific criteria and not simply price ... although we would like to get a 'great deal.' Since we are already retired, we've pretty much got the flexibility to live where we want.

This RE market is anything, but, typical ...so, we are seeking new insights into buying approach, financing (or cash buy) recommendations, etc.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Do you mind saying how old you are?
We're in our mid-sixties and retired.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:22 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,818 times
My suggestion is to rent short term (many people will give you a 7-8 month lease). Than go month to month (you pay a premium (say $100-300) extra for the month to month but it's worth it.

Wait until your opportunity for a great deal comes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate