Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Yet again...
yet again... YOU are are the only one phrasing the question in those terms.

post #1 back on 5/21:
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
A nice house on my street ($500,000 range) is for sale. Two doors down from the house for sale, a neighbor has an RV parked in the driveway. The RV has white cloth wheel covers on all 4 wheels, but is a newer RV.

Do you think this RV parked so close to the house for sale will affect its chances of selling?
and yet again... the answer is yes.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
yet again... YOU are are the only one phrasing the question in those terms.

post #1 back on 5/21:

and yet again... the answer is yes.
Rational, why don't we agree to disagree and meet somewhere in the middle.

It's not a simple "yes" or "no" response.

Are you ok with saying that the answer to the OP's question is...

"It could"

Old 08-25-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Are you ok with saying that the answer to the OP's question is...
"It could"
I'll stick with my own phrasing.
From post #5:

Quote:

Quote: Originally Posted by staywarm2
Do you think this RV parked so close to the house for sale will affect its chances of selling?

Absolutely. Without a doubt.
It's real trashy looking and even more so in a higher dollar neighborhood.

I own an RV and several of my neighbors do as well.
But NONE of us park them on the street side of the house.
(mine is almost hidden between the garage and trees at the back edge of the lot)

Old 08-25-2011, 04:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
In other words, if 25 people in a position to purchase such a house would not be deterred from purchasing by the presence of an RV parked in the driveway of another house in the neighborhood, your answer would still be that it absolutely would, without a doubt, prevent the house from selling?

How about if 50 people wouldn't be deterred? How about 51? At what point do you acknowledge that your point of view might not be the only one?

And how do you define that as "rational", by the way?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:36 PM

445 posts, read 1,605,161 times
Default RV in driveway / front yard

The question is: would you WANT to buy a house in a neighborhood that did not even have ordinances that would keep those out of the front of the house... Near here- the city says you can not have a boat in the front yard unless you are unable to safely put it into the back yard... Buy the house, put up a fence with a small gate and then park your boat in the front ???

There is something called the "International property maintenance ... " Do not remember exactly and do not want to try to find it... It is referenced here in the county ordinances and conflicts with other paragraphs - plus it is not used as the guidelines for enforcement - another example of reinventing the wheel and making things complex to the point the cops do not even want to ticket anyone and have it thrown out of court...

Old 08-25-2011, 04:45 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
The question is: would you WANT to buy a house in a neighborhood that did not even have ordinances that would keep those out of the front of the house... Near here- the city says you can not have a boat in the front yard unless you are unable to safely put it into the back yard... Buy the house, put up a fence with a small gate and then park your boat in the front ???

There is something called the "International property maintenance ... " Do not remember exactly and do not want to try to find it... It is referenced here in the county ordinances and conflicts with other paragraphs - plus it is not used as the guidelines for enforcement - another example of reinventing the wheel and making things complex to the point the cops do not even want to ticket anyone and have it thrown out of court...

International Property Maintenance Code. Doesn't really address RV parking.

Many jurisdictions prohibit RV parking on the street but not in driveways. In yards is usually frowned upon.

HOA's are a different story, another layer of rules overlaid on local ordinances.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In other words...
You guys sure like to keep doing this re-phrasing stuff.

I'm still sticking with what *I* wrote.

but to address your effort...
I sincerely believe you have that 25 or 50:1 ratio backassward

Old 08-25-2011, 05:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You guys sure like to keep doing this re-phrasing stuff.

I'm still sticking with what *I* wrote.

but to address your effort...
I sincerely believe you have that 25 or 50:1 ratio backassward
That wasn't the point of the question. The point of the question was, what number of people out of every hundred that wouldn't care would it take to convince you that maybe you are not unilaterally correct about the impact of an RV parked in a driveway on the potential sale of a home.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:46 PM

445 posts, read 1,605,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
International Property Maintenance Code. Doesn't really address RV parking.

Many jurisdictions prohibit RV parking on the street but not in driveways. In yards is usually frowned upon.

HOA's are a different story, another layer of rules overlaid on local ordinances.
Thanks - I read it some time back in the context of inoperable vehicles - which around here if the car can start it is operable That in itself shows how all these regulations have so many meanings that it really blow your mind... I am far from a nit picker - but try to stay within some reasonable (oh wait - that is subjective too) boundaries....

I do not make the rules - I just like to read them and see what crap is passed by county council with loop holes big enough to err Park you RV in..

Old 08-25-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
That wasn't the point of the question.
...that maybe you are not unilaterally correct about...
I used to have this sort of problem with my ex too

Anyway, having now skimmed through all 100+ posts...
I never said it would "prevent the house from selling". Absolutely, without a doubt, or otherwise.
I said the sellers efforts would be affected negatively. I still assert this to be the case.

(by having this sort of trashy eyesore visible from the front walk of the house for sale).

Last edited by MrRational; 08-25-2011 at 06:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate