Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 AM

219 posts, read 541,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Earnest Money Deposit
ah ok thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:23 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
I wonder where the EMD is right now.
That's a good point.
It's robably still paper clipped to the offer document(s).

Again... absent such evidence as a deposited check or the signed document... all our buyer has is hearsay that the offer was accepted.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:52 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's a good point.
It's robably still paper clipped to the offer document(s).

Again... absent such evidence as a deposited check or the signed document... all our buyer has is hearsay that the offer was accepted.
Yes, and in NC, hearsay is all that it takes.

But, as jersied pointedly pointed out, FL is the venue. I dunno nuthin' about FL..

Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Yes, and in NC, hearsay is all that it takes.
Really? I'm new here; but OK.

NC Courts accept hearsay evidence?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Really? I'm new here; but OK.

NC Courts accept hearsay evidence?
"Hearsay" is between the parties and not a factor in the court, I think.

The court will certainly accept a signed contract, and it only takes one copy.
So, one party has one, while the other party can't produce one?

Advantage goes to the party holding the paper.

In North Carolina, you are under contract when it is accepted and signed by all parties, and acceptance is communicated.
A phone call gets communication of acceptance done.
Yes, of course, we pass copies back to buyers after the sellers sign, but until the buyers get their copy, they are still bound by what they signed.

There is some good reading in that link:

"(Note that delivery of the contract document is not required to make a contract enforceable. The contract is formed at the time of communication. The real estate agent does, of course, have a duty to provide copies of the contract to the parties under the Real Estate License Law.)"

Old 06-01-2011, 12:00 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Practice in my office has always been that without a signed contract, you do not have acceptance. Because if they haven't sent you a signed contract, or at least written acceptance (even an email that says "the seller has accepted the offer, I'm just chasing signatures from them" would give you at least an argueable case), you would have no proof if you ended up in front of an arbitrator. It becomes a "he said, she said", and written proof would be the deciding factor.

We also do not deposit EM checks until we have a fully signed copy of the contract. That sometimes leads to having an explanation in the file that says "sellers signed on 5-12-11, but contract was not emailed back until 5-23-11, copy of email cover sheet attached." or something.

But I am also not in Florida, so I am just voicing an opinion here.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Advantage goes to the party holding the paper.
Which brings us back to the OP who does NOT have the paper and nothing more than vague hearsay describing any actions by any other party... agent, attorney or even the seller or anything else that might be construed as a positive action (like depositing the EMD. Ya know?

Even in NC I don't think he would have a leg to stand on (based on the actual statements so far).

Quote:
"(Note that delivery of the contract document is not required to make a contract enforceable. The contract is formed at the time of communication. The real estate agent does, of course, have a duty to provide copies of the contract to the parties under the Real Estate License Law.)"
Absent other evidence (like the signed document)... that is still hearsay of an alleged intention to accept. I'd love to see someone try to enforce that against me.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Which brings us back to the OP who does NOT have the paper and nothing more than vague hearsay describing any actions by any other party... agent, attorney or even the seller or anything else that might be construed as a positive action (like depositing the EMD. Ya know?

Even in NC I don't think he would have a leg to stand on (based on the actual statements so far).

Absent other evidence (like the signed document)... that is still hearsay of an alleged intention to accept. I'd love to see someone try to enforce that against me.
I think the information from the NCREC could not possibly have been written with more clarity regarding the topic. I appreciate being prompted to pull it up.
If it was time to lawyer up, I'd willingly put my copy of a properly executed contract, with record of communication of acceptance to buyer or agent, up against anyone who snivels, "I never got a copy, Yer Honor."

And that is how it is taught in real estate prelicensing classes, RE 101, in NC.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
If it was time to lawyer up, I'd willingly put my copy of a properly executed contract, with record of communication of acceptance to buyer or agent, up against anyone who snivels, "I never got a copy, Yer Honor."

I probably would as well...
but that describes a situation 100% opposite of what has been getting discussed: the seller NOT producing an executed copy.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I probably would as well...
but that describes a situation 100% opposite of what has been getting discussed: the seller NOT producing an executed copy.
I see nothing about the OP going to court.

The OP's question is whether there is a time limit for the seller to produce it.
That would be a FL question, and the FL folks are all elsewhere, it would seem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate