Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:53 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times

Advertisements

Behind our home on the other side of a tree line is a grease recycling dumping station. When we bought our house I asked what was on the other side of the trees and was told "the river" my neighbors were told there was "a gully". We get alot of noise, dust, and sometimes smells from this place. We recently found out that the developer traded some land with the recycling station to develope this subdivision, so he knew it wwas there. I'm really concerned it may hurt my resell value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times
You may know this already, but you really need to talk to an attorney. I agree, it should have been disclosed.

Last edited by rjrcm; 06-13-2011 at 08:52 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 08:08 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Behind our home on the other side of a tree line is a grease recycling dumping station. When we bought our house I asked what was on the other side of the trees and was told "the river" my neighbors were told there was "a gully". We get alot of noise, dust, and sometimes smells from this place. We recently found out that the developer traded some land with the recycling station to develope this subdivision, so he knew it wwas there. I'm really concerned it may hurt my resell value.
oh yeah, big time

Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
You will have to disclose it, and if it had been disclosed to you you would have either not bought it or offered less, so you do have grounds to sue the seller and selling agents unless they can both prove knowing nothing about it.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
...seller and selling agents unless they can both prove knowing nothing about it.
Actually, I think the OP will have to prove they knew about it, not them proving they didn't know, which from the discussion does not sound that difficult.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:23 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,997,969 times
I'd say that really had to be disclosed and think it's time to lawyer up. Even a letter might make a difference.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,673 times
Is that on your property? Why should you be concerned about it? In some states the law requires to disclose everything about the neigborhood that is a problem. Is that such a big problem to you?
If that is a big problem - disclose. If this is not actually a problem, and it is none of your property, why would you disclose? They can make their own research about there whereabouts while viewing the property and vicinity. Disclosing is like telling anything bad that you once found out about your neighborhood. There was a guy shot in our alley another night. Should I disclose it? How about the buyer should find the crime report on the area? google has not been cancelled yet in the US.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
...We recently found out that the developer traded some land with the recycling station to develope this subdivision, so he knew it wwas there. I'm really concerned it may hurt my resell value.
Are developers in your area required to file a public report about a new subdivision? They do here, and they must disclose in the report all facts about the location/area that may be of concern to buyers. They are legally required to give all buyers a copy, and they kept on file by the dept of real estate. A fact like a nearby recycling station would have to be in such a report. Sounds like your area does not have this requirement?

Old 06-14-2011, 05:53 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I really really dislike the conclusions that folks are jumping to here. In many states there is NO such requirement to disclose anything about adjacent property uses. Frankly I agree with that lack of requirement -- if a buyer cares about the vicinity it is THEIR duty to shop location!

In this specific instance what kind of lack of investigation had to happen for the buyer NOT to be aware of the recycling station? A walk? A drive? How far is this tree line? If it is too far to walk then it is probably too far to truly be a serious detriment to the value of the property...

My basic point is that the BUYER should have done all the investigation WELL BEFORE they even made an offer on this home. NIMBY is one thing, but this station existed prior to the owner buying! That is simply a lack of due diligence on their part.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I really really dislike the conclusions that folks are jumping to here. In many states there is NO such requirement to disclose anything about adjacent property uses. Frankly I agree with that lack of requirement -- if a buyer cares about the vicinity it is THEIR duty to shop location!

In this specific instance what kind of lack of investigation had to happen for the buyer NOT to be aware of the recycling station? A walk? A drive? How far is this tree line? If it is too far to walk then it is probably too far to truly be a serious detriment to the value of the property...

My basic point is that the BUYER should have done all the investigation WELL BEFORE they even made an offer on this home. NIMBY is one thing, but this station existed prior to the owner buying! That is simply a lack of due diligence on their part.
I couldn't agree more...why did the OP not investigate for themselves? I know if I were buying a property, I would do everything I could to research the surrounding area...including pulling satellite images (very easy on Google or Bing Maps), driving around at different times of day, walking the area and talking to neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate