Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 AM

186 posts, read 470,855 times

Advertisements

Just curious to see what the professionals will say about this.........

A fairly popular Realtor, advertises every month with a column in the paper. This week, the Headline reads "On Vacation till Fall." Within the opening paragraph the Realtor writes "buyers and sellers will attempt to wrap up their dealings with Real Estate" now since school is out and vacations have started. It goes on to state the corporate relocations also will at this time, come to somewhat of a halt. The Realtor states that he/she will be on vacation with the column until fall.

When you flip the page (1 page only) the very same Realtor has a full page ad and the title reads "Summer is Here, the time is right for buying and selling!"

Would you, as a professional, advertise that you will be off for several months? Although it clearly states the column will not be available till the fall, would you read into it that the Realtor is off as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times
I think you may have confused what he was saying. He was saying that he didn't have any time to write a real estate column in the summer bcause he's way too busy selling real estate. Not the he's going on vacation vacation, only vacation from writing columns.

I have a broker friend in Maine, as well as my brother who is a major broker in Greensboro, NC, and both of them take their vacations in early February.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:11 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
It sounds like he is not writing the column during "real estate season" which is the summer months in many areas. I think you misunderstood.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:03 AM

92 posts, read 235,075 times
I think the confusion may come from the fact that columnists rarely write their own headlines - those are written by editors. The columnist meant "This column will be on hiatus during the busy season," but the editor has to sum that up in a very short statement. "On Vacation till fall" isn't a very good summary (because it indeed implies that the realtor himself is on vacation, not the column) but that's the editor's fault.

Honestly, I try not to read headlines any more. The first paragraph of an article is generally much more informative and is actually written by the author, not the editor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate