Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:18 PM

100 posts, read 222,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Why not ask to remain in the house with the children?
Thanks for all the answers everyone They have been very helpful!

We still owe $380 on his mortgage. My name is on the deed, but not the mortgage. If I had to pay that much than Id rather be right around the block from work. Im about an hour after dropping off my 3 children at 3 different places. Its just adds a lot more stress to my daily life.

Sadly we bought in 07 and prices DROPPED right after that. Id like to get a home on a culdesac with an inground pool, fireplace, detached garage, Central Air etc and land like mine, but it looks like Im going to have to rough it LMAO.. Just kidding. (I grew up in a house without any of those things, which is kind of why I bought the house I did.) I work in a higher priced area. So basically im going to have to settle for a small house without those things in that area, or a nicer home with those things a couple minutes away, not in my work district.

On a side note... today I called a mortage broker to try to understand all this. Our mortgage payment right now including insurance and taxes is $2800. Our home was $420 and we owe $380.

He said if I looked at a house which was about $300 my payment would also be $2800. Why is that? (the taxes in the new area are $1 to $2k more, but thats all I can think of??)

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 01:51 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdnywife View Post
Thanks for all the answers everyone They have been very helpful!

We still owe $380 on his mortgage. My name is on the deed, but not the mortgage. If I had to pay that much than Id rather be right around the block from work.
Having 3 kids, the judge might award you the house - good thing you're already on the deed! Then your husband may or may not (be able to) take himself off the mortgage, but either way, making a payment on existing home is a LOT easier then qualifying for a new loan!! Especially now, especially for a house of similar size.
Not to mention that kids are used to it, you are, everything is settled, you were getting to work fine before, etc... and, it is lot easier for one person to move on (and out) and settle elsewhere, then for 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdnywife View Post
He said if I looked at a house which was about $300 my payment would also be $2800. Why is that? (the taxes in the new area are $1 to $2k more, but thats all I can think of??)
Have you tried the morgage calculator I mentioned above?
Could it be because of small downpayment (thus, large PMI)? Plus, high taxes (how much in total)? And possibly, HOA fees if house is in community?

Though, it still looks pretty high... why not ask him?

Old 07-02-2011, 05:24 AM

359 posts, read 1,119,675 times
You can rent a home that allow pets and save money until you have enough for a down payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate