Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 02:31 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,320 times

Advertisements

(Courtesy of Dave Barry, who has obviously been there/done that!)

At the outset of your negotiations, it is very important to create the impression that you don't really want to buy the house at all, that in fact you hate the house, and the mere thought of it makes you physically ill. Your opening offer should convey this. It should be worded as follows: 'We don't want your house, so we will give you X number of dollars for it, including all major appliances and your children.' The broker will take your offer to the seller, who at this point has a number of options, such as:
1. He can accept your offer.
2. He can reject your offer.
3. He can give back the dinette set, the pool, table, and the Epcot Center vacation in exchange for whatever is behind curtain #2.

Another possibility is that he will make a counteroffer, which your broker will bring back for you to consider. 'We don't want to sell the house', it might say. 'We only put it on the market because we enjoy having total strangers come around and test-flush all our toilets. But we are willing to let it go for Y number of dollars, plus you can have little Deirdre, providing you raise her in a religious environment. We get the microwave.'

And then you send the broker back with another offer, and they send you another counteroffer, and so on until the broker, his fingers bloodied from typing up the various negotiating positions, drops dead in the street from exhaustion, which is the signal for the buyer and the seller to settle on a price equal to the original asking price minus about 5 percent. This is the price that everybody always winds up at, and if we all just agreed on it at the beginning, there would be a lot less hassle and inconvenience in the form of dead brokers. But we have to ask ourselves if this would really be such a desirable outcome.

In any event, now that you and the seller have set a price, you need to sign the agreement of sale, which should be worded in standard legal terminology, as follows:

Standard Agreement of Sale

WHEREAS the Seller wants to sell, and the Buyer wants to buy,
and they think they got a price that's not too low or too high;
and the Buyer gave the Seller a down payment to hold,
now he'll try to get a mortgage before they BOTH grow old;
and the Seller's gonna see if he got termites in his place
'cause if he does, the Buyer's gonna tear it right up in his face;
but if everything is cool and nobody's late,
then the deal will go down on the Settlement Date.

Chorus:
Oooh baby baby
We gon' have a transaction tonight

(so now you know )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 07:17 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
http://bestsmileys.com/silly/21.gif (broken link)

Old 08-08-2007, 07:19 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Thanks for putting a little laughter in my life today!

btw, Garth, where are you gettin' the cool animated smilies?

Old 08-08-2007, 07:55 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
OH, That is PRICELESS!!!!! ROFL!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:10 PM

940 posts, read 1,367,495 times
I am in the middle of the nightmare of selling my house! Thanks sooo much for making me laugh and smile till my face hurt!!!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:14 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
4StanleyCups: That was the best yet. You really made my day. We want more Please, please. A pt for yas.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
btw, Garth, where are you gettin' the cool animated smilies?
Hi Gretchen,

Let me see if I can give you a hand . . . http://bestsmileys.com/animals/7.gif (broken link) Ooops, that aint right! Let's try it again . . .

Click here (http://bestsmileys.com/pageindex.htm - broken link) and it'll take you to bestsmileys.com. Once you get there you'll see the different categories and the link for each smiley within the categories. http://bestsmileys.com/happy/7.gif (broken link)

They're already formatted for you with the "img" tags. You'll see. Just copy the entire line and paste it into your post. It will link to the smiley.

http://bestsmileys.com/animals/3.gif (broken link)

Last edited by garth; 08-08-2007 at 10:08 PM..

Old 08-08-2007, 10:36 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
http://bestsmileys.com/cool/2.gif (broken link)

How cool is that!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:39 PM

http://bestsmileys.com/cartoon/10.gif (broken link)

Your got it, Gretchen!!!

Old 08-11-2007, 01:47 PM

940 posts, read 1,367,495 times
OMG Grarth, I can't stop with the smileys it is tooo cool!!! Thanks to Gretchen for asking!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate